Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

"Robots" review...

Old 03-05-05, 04:38 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Robots" review...

Saw Robots this morning and enjoyed it. It wasn't fantastic and as I said in another thread, it's hard to enjoy other animated films when Pixar sets the bar so high. The voices are very good but Robin Williams is doing his typical schtick again. They seemed to have everybody and their mother doing a voice but no Ewan and Robin get the most time out of all...along with Greg Kinnear. I'm happy to say that most of the bits in the trailer happen early on in the film and it leaves the ending to some surprise. The kids really enjoyed it and it was a very "audience friendly" movie. A lot of the action pieces don't make much sense but you just kinda go along with it anyway.

Funniest bit:
Spoiler:
towards the end of the movie, there's a huge war between the "bots" and the "bad guys" and Robin Williams' character gets dropped in the middle of the bad guys. Britney Spears' "Hit Me Baby One More Time" kicks in and he starts doing a dance with the other robots behind him. Funny because it's ridiculously random and unexpected.

No Star Wars trailer beforehand but we did get Ice Age 2. The trailer was very funny (as were the ones for the first) and the audience applauded after it. If only the movies were as entertaining as the trailers.

My grade: C+
Old 03-05-05, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by digitalfreaknyc
Funniest bit:
Spoiler:
towards the end of the movie, there's a huge war between the "bots" and the "bad guys" and Robin Williams' character gets dropped in the middle of the bad guys. Britney Spears' "Hit Me Baby One More Time" kicks in and he starts doing a dance with the other robots behind him. Funny because it's ridiculously random and unexpected.
If that is really the funniest bit in the movie, I'll skip it, at least in the theaters. Where did that 'hatred for pop songs in animated movies' thread go?
Old 03-05-05, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I hate how Dreamworks pimps out who's doing the voices. Which is funny, since I'm such a strong supporter (zealot) of original language tracks in foriegn film since I think voice actors are not given enough respect.
Old 03-05-05, 05:13 PM
Banned

I really have no idea what this movie is about besides it being about robots and I hate Robin Williams. His ADD comedy routine may have been entertaining in the 80s but now its just sad.
Old 03-05-05, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The only reason I am interested in seeing this film is for the fact that it'll be the first full-length CG animated film ever to be released in IMAX (via the DMR process).

Even if the film might be horrible, I want to see the visuals on an eight story screen.
Old 03-05-05, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by BizRodian
I hate how Dreamworks pimps out who's doing the voices. Which is funny, since I'm such a strong supporter (zealot) of original language tracks in foriegn film since I think voice actors are not given enough respect.
Dreamworks? Robots is from Blue Sky and Fox.
Old 03-05-05, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

While I don't hate him, Robin Williams bugs me, too, and his involment in this makes me want to see it less (if possible).
Old 03-05-05, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by fumanstan

yeah, it's being advertised as "From the Creators of Ice Age"

Shark Tale, Shrek, and Madagascar are from Dreamworks
Old 03-05-05, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 649 Likes on 449 Posts
Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
The only reason I am interested in seeing this film is for the fact that it'll be the first full-length CG animated film ever to be released in IMAX (via the DMR process).
Polar Express was on IMAX. How was that film released?
Old 03-05-05, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Polar Express was on IMAX. How was that film released?
Crap, I forgot about The Polar Express.

Well then, the only reason I am interested in seeing this is that it's the first full-length CG animated film to be released in IMAX that looks somewhat tolerable.

Better?
Old 03-05-05, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by digitalfreaknyc

Funniest bit:
Spoiler:
I saw that part in a commercial. I wasn't gonna see it anyway but now you've just confirmed it for me.
Old 03-05-05, 11:35 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
It might as well be from Dreamworks. ROBOTS wants to be a metal SHREK so bad it swallows itself in puns and celebrity voicework.

I didn't care for the film. Sure, it looks great, but the comedy is DOA. To see Robin Williams swing for the fences all through the film yet never connect is a depressing sight. The Britney Spears bit, as mentioned before, is his character's "funniest" bit, and it doesn't even come from Williams.

Oh yeah, and another round of fart gags. Yeesh...
Old 03-06-05, 11:13 AM
Banned

Oh yeah...the "fart" part. I have to say, I really was laughing at that although I hate to admit it.
Old 03-06-05, 11:28 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

Even if the film might be horrible, I want to see the visuals on an eight story screen.
didn't Polar Express already do it and do it successfully?
Old 03-08-05, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: In my secret underground lair, plotting to TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!! Bwuaaahahahaha!!
I got a preview ticket for 2 on saturday morning, and my friend and I both enjoyed it quite a bit.
Old 03-08-05, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

didn't Polar Express already do it and do it successfully?
They did it, but not successfully.
Old 03-08-05, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Bah, I call bullshit. Polar Express was gorgeous, and looked downright amazing in 3D. Not to mention a solid family film.

But I digress...Robots should be interesting in Imax, though not being in 3D probably won't get me there.
Old 03-08-05, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It was all right. I loved the detail in the movie, but admit there were a lot of throwaway jokes that were almost... desperate. Robin Williams dominated the movie too much as well, and the filmmakers should have tried to rein him in.

I still think this will be quite a hit in theaters.

Spoiler:
Though the Britney Spears joke made me groan.
Old 03-08-05, 10:37 PM

You mean artistry or money?

Because I think it made 1/5 of its total gross in IMAX theaters, which is huuuuuuuge.
Old 03-09-05, 07:56 AM

Any movie with Robin Williams' voice in going to be great and well remembered
Old 03-09-05, 09:12 AM

I might be the only one that wants to see this movie because of Robin Williams. I never knew people were really tired of him. IMO, it should be a good movie.
Old 03-09-05, 09:26 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Well then, the only reason I am interested in seeing this is that it's the first full-length CG animated film to be released in IMAX that looks somewhat tolerable.
Did you see The Polar Express on IMAX 3D? It was incredible.
Old 03-09-05, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
how is this movie for a 3 year old who loves toy story, monsters inc, etc.
Old 03-09-05, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by Joeboo835
how is this movie for a 3 year old who loves toy story, monsters inc, etc.
3 year-olds love everything. They will love this.
Old 03-10-05, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I saw a pre-screening of this tonight and enjoyed it. It was funny and I enjoy Robin Williams's over-the-top voice acting.

A lot of funny jokes but many of them are geared towards more of an adult audience. They tied in a lot of contemporary music pretty well too.

It's definitely not Pixar quality but I thought that it was better than non-pixar computer animation, including Shrek 2.

3 stars out of 4.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.