Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Where have all the really good serio-comedies gone...like "My Cousin Vinny"?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Where have all the really good serio-comedies gone...like "My Cousin Vinny"?

Old 03-15-05, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mrs. Doubtfire, Old School, Along Came Polly, GO!, GHOST WORLD!
Old 03-15-05, 09:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Swingers
Made
Ocean's Eleven,
The Big Lebowski
South Park:Bigger, Longer, and Uncut
Me, Myself, and Irene
Being John Malkovich
Old 03-20-05, 11:09 AM
TOTY Winner 2018 and Inane Thread Master

Received 1,015 Likes on 849 Posts
Originally Posted by Jay G.
It sounds like someone hasn't seen Shaun of the Dead yet.
AMEN!!! I just saw it last night and now believe this to be one of the all time great serio-comedies! simply blew me away!!!!
Old 03-20-05, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would suggest Eulogy. I love black comedies
Old 03-20-05, 05:13 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
"My Cousin Vinny" is a serio-comedy? WHAAA?
Old 03-20-05, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dramadies?

Hmmm...does Garden State fit the bill?
Old 03-20-05, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by Groucho
"My Cousin Vinny" is a serio-comedy? WHAAA?
it dealt with serious subject matter and it wasn't non-stop slapstick. it had heart, soul, and really genuine laughs. seems to be a good definition to me!
Old 03-20-05, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
Well there's Meet the Parents.
But didn't the stupid Fockers sequel have a bunch of goofy slapstick crap in it? The trailer made it seem so - dogs going down the toilet and such.

Some other films - I heart huckabees, napoleon dynamite, what women want, as good as it gets, the replacements, something's gotta give, about schmidt...
Old 03-20-05, 06:06 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I guess I'm forgetting the "serious" parts of My Cousin Vinny. With the exception of the beginning (the boys getting arrested), it's pretty much broad comedy through the whole film.
Old 03-20-05, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Groucho
I guess I'm forgetting the "serious" parts of My Cousin Vinny. With the exception of the beginning (the boys getting arrested), it's pretty much broad comedy through the whole film.
Yeah - and the OP is forgetting the silly slapstick stuff like the dumb looking suit and Vinny falling in the mud.
Old 03-21-05, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by Trigger
Yeah - and the OP is forgetting the silly slapstick stuff like the dumb looking suit and Vinny falling in the mud.
slapstick is ok for these movies, but if it doesn't have heart and soul than it isn't serio-comedy, MCV had all of it and it worked so well and even won a Best Supporting Actress award which comedies hardly ever do. Speaking of which, "City Slickers" should be included.
Old 07-05-24, 10:12 PM

Received 2,148 Likes on 1,254 Posts
Re: Where have all the really good serio-comedies gone...like "My Cousin Vinny"?

I watched My Cousin Vinny for the first time tonight and I really liked it!

I do see how this is a "serious" comedy, in that there is murder most foul, with a gunshot to the head, and there is some pretty real tension despite the broad comedy.

Since this is a major thread bump, I'll say that a recent "serio-comedy" example that comes to mind is Lady Bird.
Old 07-06-24, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 513 Likes on 337 Posts
Re: Where have all the really good serio-comedies gone...like "My Cousin Vinny"?

I re-watched My Cousin Vinny a couple of months ago. While it does have "slapstick" moments (ex. Vinny falling in the mud), overall, the characters all feel relatively realistic. They have quirks, but they don't cross the line into cartoonish. The humour comes from the situations and the character's reactions rather than "gags". I think it's a terrific movie.

If I had posted in this thread 19 years ago, my immediate choice would have been another Nick Hornby adaptation, About A Boy. It's very funny, has a lot of emotional moments, and I always get a literal chill during the scene where Marcus sees his mother's image appear across the duck pond.
The following users liked this post:
story (07-06-24)
Old 07-06-24, 01:38 AM

Received 2,148 Likes on 1,254 Posts

I absolutely love About a Boy. My sister and I went to see it in the theater because she was all about Hugh Grant, but I was all about Nick Hornsby. When Marcus tells his mom, Fiona, that I got your letter and she says she forgot about it, he asks how she could forget a suicide note. She said, laughing through tears, trying to be "okay" in front of her son, "Well, I didn't think I would have to remember it, did I?!" I let out a big, involuntary guffaw: "BWAH-HA!" My sister was mortified, I thought it was an amazing line and fit the movie so incredibly well. There is very, very, very little humor to be found in suicide. I thought that line from a survivor was brilliant.
Crocker Jarmen (07-07-24)
Old 07-06-24, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 793 Likes on 644 Posts

People don't like or watch those movies anymore.

People had taste back then when those movies were made but not now.
Old 07-07-24, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 302 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by story
I absolutely love About a Boy. My sister and I went to see it in the theater because she was all about Hugh Grant, but I was all about Nick Hornsby. When Marcus tells his mom, Fiona, that I got your letter and she says she forgot about it, he asks how she could forget a suicide note. She said, laughing through tears, trying to be "okay" in front of her son, "Well, I didn't think I would have to remember it, did I?!" I let out a big, involuntary guffaw: "BWAH-HA!" My sister was mortified, I thought it was an amazing line and fit the movie so incredibly well. There is very, very, very little humor to be found in suicide. I thought that line from a survivor was brilliant.
Ditto. I adore "About a Boy". It's a wonderful film. The blending of humor and drama was perfect. I love Nick Hornby's writing style. I first discovered him three years earlier ("High Fidelity"). This was one of the few times I felt the movie was actually better than the book. The same cannot be said about "Fidelity" (for me anyway). Fine film, but too much was changed for me. And that is one of my all-time favorite books. Anyway, how Hugh Grant and Toni Collette did not get Oscar nominations for their work is beyond me. Truly criminal. I think it's Grant's best performance to date.
Crocker Jarmen (07-07-24)
Old 07-07-24, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 513 Likes on 337 Posts

Originally Posted by Daytripper
This was one of the few times I felt the movie was actually better than the book.
I agree. The ending of the movie with the talent show debacle is much more interesting and insightful and satisfying than the sequence of Marcus and the girl running away. And while bringing Kurt Cobain's suicide into the story works thematically in a book, it would have felt so oddly crammed into the movie.

Daytripper (07-07-24)
Old 07-08-24, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,292 Likes on 791 Posts

I feel like I am one of the only people who thinks My Cousin Vinny is extremely overrated and not very funny.

It probably deserves a rewatch after so many years, but I never can bring myself to it.