Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Confess, Fletch (2022, D: Mottola) S: Jon Hamm

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Confess, Fletch (2022, D: Mottola) S: Jon Hamm

Old 03-01-05, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Groucho
Not a bad choice. I'd still prefer Jason Lee.
I agree.
Old 03-01-05, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
would rather have Braff...
Old 03-01-05, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Originally Posted by Cygnet74
ryan reynolds' mannerisms remind me of chevy chase. always thought he'd make a good "young" fletch. hope braff doesn't play Fletch as a neurotic.

Ryan Reynolds and Jason Lee seem to be interchangeable. I say merge the two actors already and you'll get an actor that is double the condescending and double the funny.
Old 03-01-05, 08:47 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hell yeah! double anything is good!

Old 03-02-05, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Jason Lee/Ryan Reynolds/Zach Braff
Here are the differences..Jason is getting old. Ryan is ripped, and Zach can act.
Old 03-02-05, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'd rather see Braff --- I think Lee is an awful overactor.
Old 03-02-05, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
Jason Lee/Ryan Reynolds/Zach Braff
Here are the differences..Jason is getting old. Ryan is ripped, and Zach can act.
I still love Lee, but it never occurred to me that he'd be too old to play a young Fletch. But...

Chase was 41 at Fletch's release
Lee will be 35 next month

And who knows when the hell this movie will actually get made.
Old 03-02-05, 05:42 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
That is a solid second choice.

"If you want Jason Lee, but you can only get Zach Braff... WAIT."

The problem with Jason Lee is he really hasn't shown he can carry a movie. A Guy Thing and that movie he did with Tom Green that I'm too lazy to look up both flopped. I like Jason Lee but I always see him as the sidekick supporting character like in Almost Famous he was even the only good thing about that Stephen King movie about the aliens.
Old 03-02-05, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 659 Likes on 463 Posts
Originally Posted by Slow Hands
Jason Lee but I always see him as the sidekick supporting character like in Almost Famous
He was only the fucking lead singer!
Old 07-26-06, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 296 Likes on 227 Posts
Now that Bill Lawrence is writing and directing this movie, it seems obvious who he wants to play the lead role.

http://ca.entertainment.yahoo.com/s/...P8mvAyO3vxO5Gt.

"Fletch" lives as "Scrubs" duo eye comedy revival
Tue Jul 25, 09:47 PM EST

By Gregg Goldstein

NEW YORK (Hollywood Reporter) - The creator of "Scrubs" is writing and directing a prequel to the '80s feature franchise "Fletch," and if he has his way, the show's star Zach Braff will take over Chevy Chase's title role.

The Weinstein Co. has signed Bill Lawrence to adapt Gregory Mcdonald's 1985 comic-mystery novel "Fletch Won," which follows the irreverent detective from his early days as a ne'er-do-well junior newspaper reporter to his partnership with a crime reporter to solve a murder.

Mcdonald's best-sellers were brought to the screen in 1985's "Fletch" and 1989's "Fletch Lives."

"Zach is perfect for the role," Lawrence said in an interview from his Los Angeles office, where Braff sat laughing in the background. "I'm going to use all my pull trying to make him do it."

Filming is expected to start in April once the current season of "Scrubs" completes filming. No cast members have been signed yet.

Braff helped bring Lawrence on board by suggesting his boss to Weinstein principal Harvey Weinstein, leading to talks between the pair over the past six months.

"Zach knows I can recite the original 'Fletch' movie line for line," said Lawrence, who also has read all of Mcdonald's "Fletch" novels.

The director is well aware of the cult surrounding the books and films, which seems to weigh heavily on him. "My closest friends from high school don't care about my career," he said. "This is the only job I've ever gotten where every one of them said, 'Congratulations,' and then said, 'Don't f--- it up."'

Lawrence plans to make his "Fletch" with a bit more edge. "There were definitely broader, sketchier parts in the earlier films," he said. "I'd compare this one more to 'Beverly Hills Cop,' where there was a sense of real jeopardy. Like 'Batman Begins,' I (also) think people will enjoy seeing how Irwin Fletcher became Fletch."
Old 07-26-06, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 824 Likes on 529 Posts
I think he's a good choice. He can do the physical comedy that Chevy was so great at and he's a great actor.
Old 07-26-06, 01:06 PM
Retired

I think he's a great choice as well.
Old 07-26-06, 01:09 PM

Received 118 Likes on 80 Posts
Originally Posted by Groucho
Not a bad choice. I'd still prefer Jason Lee.
I have nothing to add to this (my opinion remains the same), but it's interesting that Lee has become about 1000x more famous since I made this post last year.

But I'm seeing this no matter who's in the lead.
Old 07-26-06, 01:29 PM

"Zach is perfect for the role," Lawrence said in an interview from his Los Angeles office, where Braff sat laughing in the background . "I'm going to use all my pull trying to make him do it."

He was laughing? I wonder if he was just bullshitting the reporter for Braff's amusement?
Old 07-26-06, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 619 Likes on 382 Posts
I like both Lee and Braff, so either way I'm cool. And I'm a big Fletch fan, having read all of the books way back in the eighties/early nineties. The first Fletch movie was okay, but I didn't care for the second at all. I hope they do better with this one.
Old 07-26-06, 02:34 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
I get Zach confused with Dax Shephard - I thought I was seeing Zach with bleached hair in the 'Employee of the Month' trailer.
Old 07-26-06, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Giles
I get Zach confused with Dax Shephard - I thought I was seeing Zach with bleached hair in the 'Employee of the Month' trailer.
My daughter was watching Zathura last night and I couldn't help but thinking Dax would be interchangeable with Zach. I know ZB would have given that final scene a lot more heart.
Old 07-26-06, 02:48 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by pinata242
My daughter was watching Zathura last night and I couldn't help but thinking Dax would be interchangeable with Zach. I know ZB would have given that final scene a lot more heart.
from an acting standpoint I'd agree, but I thought Dax has a little more machismo.
Old 07-26-06, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Aaagh, I wish I read this before I posted in the Mallrats 2 thread! I wish Kevin Smith was still on board for this, and could get Jason Lee in the project now that he's got a hit TV show on his resume.

Oh, well....I guess I will check the movie out when it comes out, but the excitement for it has died down now. Sounds like a wait for a free rental on DVD movie to me.
Old 07-26-06, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I wonder how many times Fletch will stare blankly after an ironic moment while Death Cab for Cutie plays in the back.
Old 07-26-06, 07:21 PM
Banned

I wonder how many times Fletch will stare blankly after an ironic moment while Death Cab for Cutie plays in the back.
Yeah, they need to bring Fletch back to his roots of wearing goofy moustaches, fake teeth and rubber noses!

Of course, I'm being sarcastic, Hollywood took something Fletch did in the books (used fake names while grilling people for information) and amped it up to the point of being unrecognizable all to make it a Chevy Chase vehicle.

I'll never know what Universal was thinking when they purchased the rights to an Edgar Award-winning mystery just so they could take the great characterization and replace it with Chevy Chase schtick.

The elements left over from the novel are what still make "Fletch" a good movie and Universal's attempt at getting even farther-removed from the novels was the unspeakably horrible "Fletch Lives", which ignored 8 infinitely better "Fletch" novels in favor of a ridiculous plot that is nothing like anything "Fletch" creator Gregory McDonald would ever write in a million years.

Last edited by GuruTwo; 07-26-06 at 08:13 PM.
Old 07-26-06, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I will never why Hollywood needs to take any good story idea and then hand the leading role over to some Ego only to have the Ego add his schtick in there and ruin the movie. Fun With Dick and Jane would have been far better as a dark comedy with satire against the corporate world, but instead, it became a Jim Carey vehicle for him to try to act like he was 20 years old again, and it bombed. So I guess it could be worse...they could try to make Jim Carey the new Fletch and have his schtick ruin the movie.

The elements left over from the novel are what still make "Fletch" a good movie and Universal's attempt at getting even farther-removed from the novels was the unspeakably horrible "Fletch Lives", which ignored 8 infinitely better "Fletch" novels in favor of a ridiculous plot that is nothing like anything "Fletch" creator Gregory McDonald would ever write in a million years.
And that is why I am leery of Kevin Smith being removed from the project. I am not fully confident he would be the best director, but he would be a capable director, but most of all, he's a fan of the books and would have stuck closer to the books. God only knows what will happen to them now.
Old 07-26-06, 07:41 PM

do none of you watch Scrubs? Bill Lawrence is a great choice and the article certainly made it seem like he will stick closer to the books than the broad humor. I'm a lot more excited about seeing this with Bill Lawrence doing it than Kevin Smith.
Old 07-26-06, 08:12 PM
Banned

I do think the choise of Bill Lawrence/Zach Braff indicates an effort to stick with the books, though the fact that Kevin Smith fought with Miramax for 5 years over making a version that's faithful to the books vs. the slapstick shit the Weinsteins wanted and ultimately gave up is worrysome.
Old 07-26-06, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by GuruTwo
Yeah, they need to bring Fletch back to his roots of wearing goofy moustaches, fake teeth and rubber noses!

Of course, I'm being sarcastic, Hollywood took something Fletch did in the books (used fake names while grilling people for information) and amped it up to the point of being unrecognizable all to make it a Chevy Chase vehicle.

I'll never know what Universal was thinking when they purchased the rights to an Edgar Award-winning mystery just so they could take the great characterization and replace it with Chevy Chase schtick.

Good post. I hated what the films did with the novels. I hope the new one will do more justice to the original material.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.