Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

I hate Huckabees

Old 02-26-05, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 129 Likes on 104 Posts
I hate Huckabees

Ok, I didnt really hate I heart Huckabucks or whatever it is called I just can honestly say I didnt understand it. Can someone explain it to me?
Old 02-26-05, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's an existential comedy. So lets examine the word itself.

n. the modern system of belief made famous by Jean Paul Sartre in the 1940s in which the world is meaningless and each person is alone and completely responsible for their own actions, by which they make their own character.

So it's a meaningless comedy about being responsible for your own actions yet the movie goes on and on about how everything is connected in a sort of coincidence.

In the end I thought it was trying a bit to hard to be "indie" and came up short. In the end, it's a meaningless comedy that some enjoyed, some scratched their head at the end.
Old 02-26-05, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Oy vey! It was definitely weird. Im sitting here thinking maybe it is just beyond my understanding or maybe that is the way it is supposed to be? I didnt hate it but I just didnt get it. At least the acting was good.
Old 02-26-05, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I loved it...one of the smartest comedies I had seen in a while....It shows how worked up people can get over small things, whether its protecting a rock, or keeping a board of directors happy...they both matter, but really they don't...your diffrent, but the same
Old 02-26-05, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Cameron
I loved it...one of the smartest comedies I had seen in a while....It shows how worked up people can get over small things, whether its protecting a rock, or keeping a board of directors happy...they both matter, but really they don't...your diffrent, but the same

Thats interesting, but is that what it was really about? If it is, then I think I understand it a little better.
Old 02-26-05, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts
I was waiting for someone to start a thread with this title.
Old 02-26-05, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just rememeber the blanket Deadman31 your here and I'm here...diffrent but the same....

Spoiler:
That is why Jason sees his face in Jude's picture. They are the same, even though they are mortal enemies. He doesn't like him, but now he understands him.
Old 02-27-05, 01:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't think I would have appreciated it as much if I hadn't read one of Douglas Adams' Dirk Gently novels (The Long Dark Tea Time of the Soul). The series is about an existential detective.
Old 02-27-05, 02:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have the excellent soundtrack, that's enough for me. I don't need to ever see the movie.
Old 02-27-05, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

On first viewing, I don't think this movie was very smart. I think it just thought it was smarter than it actually was. I felt like I was watching a director who was way out of his intellectual depth. Perhaps not unexpected given David O. Russell's previous films. Now, I love Three Kings and Flirting with Disaster, but they're hardly what anyone would call "intelligent" or "intellectual".

I loved the premise for I Heart Huckabees. Great idea that could've been developed into something truly wonderful - especially if we had a screenplay by someone like Charlie Kaufman.

But it really felt like the director struggled to understand anything past page 1 of his metaphysics or Zen textbooks, so we ended up with something very superficial and lacking in substance. We got a few very basic concepts and that was that. There was very little plot development underneath.

I plan to watch it again because I am just in utter shock at how intellectually weak the movie was. I expected to adore it given the premise and I really can't believe what David O. Russell delivered. Maybe I expected too much. I hoped for something like Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, or Lila, or Sophie's World, but in movie form with significant story development. I Heart Huckabees was far from that, sadly.
Old 02-27-05, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by angryyoungman
I don't think I would have appreciated it as much if I hadn't read one of Douglas Adams' Dirk Gently novels (The Long Dark Tea Time of the Soul). The series is about an existential detective.

Great point. I didn't think about the similarities between these two titles, but
Old 02-27-05, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 449 Likes on 329 Posts
Squirrel God hit the nail on the head . . . while I did find the movie to be funny and entertaining, I was expecting something a little deeper (the Charlie Kaufman comment was dead on). I guesss the only real thing I can add is that while we wouldn't call Three Kings or Flirting With Disaster intellectual films, they were still intelligent and pointed. Huckabees seems to wander aimlessly and not have a true underlying message. Unless it really doesn't matter . . . now it makes sense!
Old 02-27-05, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
You just don't get my infinite nature
Old 02-27-05, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jericho

exactly
Old 02-28-05, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jericho

I loved this movie....funny in a very very offbeat way.
Old 02-28-05, 01:10 AM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Actually, Gently is a *holistic* detective. But yeah, that's where the similarities end.

I really enjoyed this one - and the extras on the 2-disc set are amazingly detailed about pseudo-philosophy, but this isn't the kind of brilliant filmmaking I would have hoped the maker of Trois Rois would have made next.

I kept thinking "This is okay, and Naomi Watts looks great (even when she's supposed to look horrible) but I waited five years for this?"
Old 03-01-05, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by jough
Naomi Watts looks great (even when she's supposed to look horrible) but I waited five years for this?"
Old 03-01-05, 04:11 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

I don't see how Charlie Kaufman could have improved this film. It was already gimmicky enough.
Old 03-01-05, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Eh, it wasn't my cup of tea. I laughed twice ("She said Fuckabees!" and for some reason the gecko thing). Naomi Watts IS damn hot in this though.
Old 03-01-05, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What the hell is a huckabee?
Old 03-01-05, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It's the name of a fictitious Walmart-ish store chain.
Old 03-02-05, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Squirrel God
On first viewing, I don't think this movie was very smart. I think it just thought it was smarter than it actually was.
Absolutely sums up my p.o.v. I love quirky movies like "Being John Malkovich" or "Rushmore," but this one just fell way flat for me. I never cared about anyone in the movie and it felt like a Cliff's Notes version of a philosophy textbook. I admire what it was trying to do but don't think it worked at all.