DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Best courtroom scenes in film thread! (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/411452-best-courtroom-scenes-film-thread.html)

OldBoy 02-25-05 09:17 AM

Best courtroom scenes in film thread!

What are some of the best, most intense courtroom scenes in film? The movie doesn't have to necessarily be all about the courtroom, but there are one or two scenes that make it oh so good.

I am not privy to that many, but when I do see a good one there is something that sticks with me. "The Rainmaker" had some good ones with Matt Damon and Danny Devito that I liked. Of course, "A Few Good Men" was really intense.

But, what are some others to check out according to You...

Slow Hands 02-25-05 09:28 AM

"To Kill A Mockingbird" is my all time favorite. "The People Vs. Larry Flynt" when Larry comes in the courtroom with an American Flag diaper on is great. "Philadelphia" is very intense.

tommyp007 02-25-05 09:36 AM

Check out "The Verdict" with Paul Newman and "Presumed Innocent" with Harrison Ford. Both Excellent.

Geofferson 02-25-05 09:51 AM

...And Justice For All

fliggil 02-25-05 10:19 AM

The ending of Witness for the Prosecution (and, well, most of the movie).

-I wouldn't say intense, but My Cousin Vinny definately has some classic courtroom scenes ("Perhaps the laws of physics cease to exist on your stove. Were these magic grits? Did you buy them from the same guy who sold Jack his beanstalk beans?")

Yahoo Sirius 02-25-05 10:34 AM

ANATOMY OF A MURDER has some of the best courtroom sequences I've ever seen.

NatrlBornThrllr 02-25-05 10:42 AM

The final courtroom scene in "Primal Fear."

-JP

ShagMan 02-25-05 10:44 AM

A Few Good Men. Tom Cruise screaming at Jack Nicholson, and Jack yelling back "you can't handle the truth!"

Also, Devil's Advocate had some good stuff in it.

taa455 02-25-05 10:46 AM

A courtroom film that I personally liked:
Rules of Engagement

Not the best, but:
A Time To Kill
Runaway Jury

Krug 02-25-05 10:47 AM

It was at the end, but The Untouchables had a really great court scene. :)

scott shelton 02-25-05 10:47 AM

When the gorilla testified at the end of BORN TO BE WILD.

Red Dog 02-25-05 10:49 AM

One of my favorites is generally unheralded: Sandy Stern's (Raul Julia) cross of the Medical Examiner in Presumed Innocent.

Shannon Nutt 02-25-05 11:12 AM

Judgment At Nuremberg
The Caine Mutiny

apchrist 02-25-05 11:40 AM

Miracle on 34th Street

dick_grayson 02-25-05 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by Slow Hands
"To Kill A Mockingbird" is my all time favorite.

me too.

fryinpan1 02-25-05 11:47 AM

The Insider
Sleepers
My Cousin Vinny
Ghostbusters 2

Blow

Judge: George Jung, you stand accused of possession of six hundred and sixty pounds of marijuana with intent to distribute. How do you plead?
George: Your honor, I'd like to say a few words to the court if I may.
Judge: Well, you're gonna have to stop slouching and stand up to address this court, sir.
George: [stands] Alright. Well, in all honesty, I don't feel that what I've done is a crime. And I think it's illogical and irresponsible for you to sentence me to prison. Because, when you think about it, what did I really do? I crossed an imaginary line with a bunch of plants. I mean, you say I'm an outlaw, you say I'm a thief, but where's the Christmas dinner for the people on relief? Huh? You say you're looking for someone who's never weak but always strong, to gather flowers constantly whether you are right or wrong, someone to open each and every door, but it ain't me, babe, huh? No, no, no, it ain't me, babe. It ain't me you're looking for, babe. You follow?
Judge: Yeah... Gosh, you know, your concepts are really interesting, Mister Jung.
George: Thank you.
Judge: Unfortunately for you, the line you crossed was real and the plants you brought with you were illegal, so your bail is twenty thousand dollars.

majorjoe23 02-25-05 11:59 AM

Am I the only person who thinks the "You can't handle the truth!" court room scene in "A Few Good Men" is horrible? If I were a high-ranking general involved with a cover-up, I know I would blow my top and admit to it on the witness stand.

But then, that's my problem with court room scenes in general, that kind of thing rarely if ever happens in court.

FinkPish 02-25-05 12:03 PM

Not really in the courtroom, but about a court case: 12 Angry Men.

Matthew Chmiel 02-25-05 12:57 PM

When the gorilla testified at the end of BORN TO BE WILD.
:lol:

Oh man. Scott Shelton, you're my hero....

:thumbsup:

DigIt 02-25-05 12:58 PM

Unless these other movies also had a cross-examination in jive, the correct answer to this thread is Airplane II.

Red Dog 02-25-05 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by DigIt
Unless these other movies also had a cross-examination in jive, the correct answer to this thread is Airplane II.

:lol:

Drexl 02-25-05 01:17 PM

The scene with God in Oh, God
Max Von Sydow's speech in Snow Falling on Cedars
Jim Garrison (Kevin Costner)'s analysis in JFK - intercut with non-courtroom scenes with Gary Oldman as Oswald
Leonardo DiCaprio and Alan Alda verbally sparring in The Aviator
Chicago - "Razzle Dazzle"

OldBoy 02-25-05 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by fryinpan1
The Insider
Sleepers

forgot about those. i loved "The Insider" as a movie and "Sleepers" really grew on me.

Mondo Kane 02-25-05 01:44 PM

Gang Related has an intense courtroom scene (The only good thing about the movie)

Perkinsun Dzees 02-25-05 03:59 PM

Jury Duty with Pauly Shore is purdy good.