Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Be Cool:anyone else kind of worried?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Be Cool:anyone else kind of worried?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-05, 03:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Meh forget the critics! I have never let them dictate my movie choices. Good or bad, I have a free ticket, loved the first one and I damn sure won't see "The Pacifier" so I'll be inline tonight to catch it.
Old 03-04-05, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
The reviews are bad....but the bits of Vince Vaughn and The Rock in the trailer had me convinced and bad reviews won't change my desire.
Old 03-04-05, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 203 Likes on 157 Posts
I remember seeing Men In Black II and finding it highly entertaining despite bad reviews. Sometimes if a sequel gives the viewer more of the same instead of doing something different critics turn on it. In an ironic turn, they also tend to bash a sequel if it changes too much as well.

Oh well, seeing as how I will not be paying money, it's not going to rob me of anything but my time.
Old 03-04-05, 10:04 PM

Just saw it. It was really entertaining. If you're going into it looking for something ultra thought provoking change theatres. Just a solid comedy with a great group that looks like a ton of fun.

Don't go with high expectations and just try to enjoy a lot of silly humor.
Old 03-05-05, 03:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dear F. Gary Gray,

Please go fuck yourself. You are a no talented hack who should stay out of the movie business. Friday sucked, Set It Off was a piece of shit, The Negotiator was only a good film for the talent involved, nobody saw A Man Apart, and The Italian Job was bland.

With Be Cool, you have somehow managed to take a wonderful cast and completely waste each and every one of them. You took an Elmore Leonard novel and completely striped it of it's style. This film has no style. The film is bland. It's basic big budget cookie cutter material (like The Italian Job).

Be Cool sucked. It's not fun to watch like Jackie Brown or Out of Sight. This film is a chore to watch. A boring and awful chore to watch. I wanted to commit suicide while watching this movie. Good job, considering I saw The Jacket before hand.

Please leave Hollywood now. Hopefully The Italian Job II will bomb and you'll be shunned out of Hollywood.

Thank you.
Old 03-05-05, 05:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
Dear F. Gary Gray,

Please go fuck yourself. You are a no talented hack who should stay out of the movie business. Friday sucked, Set It Off was a piece of shit, The Negotiator was only a good film for the talent involved, nobody saw A Man Apart, and The Italian Job was bland.
I actually enjoyed the Italian Job remake and Friday is a cult hit.

A Man Apart was terrible I agree. Never saw the Negotiator or Set It Off.
Old 03-05-05, 12:04 PM

Be Cool was funny and the Rock was a riot as was most of the cast in the film go see it it worth the $6.00 bucks just be cool about man...........
Old 03-05-05, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Saw it. Didn't like it. Liked the original. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone, unless you have a huge hardon for Travolta.

Uma looked great though, as did Millian.
Old 03-05-05, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Saw it. Didn't like it. Liked the original. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone, unless you have a huge hardon for Travolta.
You didn't know how many times I asked myself in the theater, "Why didn't Barry Sonnenfeld come back to direct?"
Old 03-05-05, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Overall I didn't like it. There was no style to it. No Rythym. The Aerosmith/Linda Moon thing made no sense at all. It really did try and copy the original several ways, but unsuccessfully. I'm so glad it was free.

What I did like -

I did like The Rock in this. I've never seen a Rock movie before.

And shoot me I like Sergio Mendes so the dance scene was pretty cool.
Old 03-05-05, 01:51 PM

I'm givin this one a shot later this week with my free ticket of Course from the Get Shorty SE
Old 03-05-05, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Saw it. Didn't care for about the first forty minutes or so, but it did pick up well. Let me say first that Cedric, Snoop Dogg, and The Rock are the best reasons to see this movie. Uma Thurman might have looked the best she ever has and been smoking hot, but that wasn't enough. She is a good actress and played her role well, but I didn't really like the role she played as it was that of someone who is more or less a ditz. It seemed like she was doing a variation on Adrianna from The Sopranos.
That said, I don't see why so many critics are butchering this movie so much. It isn't great, but I have seen much, much worse. I would place it in the C+/B- category; cute, but not half as good as the original.

Now for a somewhat different comment. I honestly feel that The Rock gave the best performance in this movie, and his scenes had me laughing harder than I have in a long time. WWE really screwed up when they didn't re-sign him to a new contract.

Also, has this film sat on a shelf for a while? I know Robert Pastorelli has been dead for some time.
Old 03-05-05, 06:23 PM
Banned

Snoop Dogg is in this movie? He is becoming the Jeremy Piven to Vince Vaughn's John Cusack.
Old 03-05-05, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My bad. It was Andre 3000 from Outkast. I don't follow rap so I have trouble telling them apart.
Old 03-05-05, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Pretty easy for all of you to blow of the critics when you are using a free ticket. I can't believe if it came to your $9, and 10 out of 10 reviews bashed it you wouldn't flinch a tad. I for one don't usually listen to them either, but when 100% of them are negative there is usually a reason. Think Gigli or Glitter.
Old 03-05-05, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Pretty easy for all of you to blow of the critics when you are using a free ticket. I can't believe if it came to your $9, and 10 out of 10 reviews bashed it you wouldn't flinch a tad. I for one don't usually listen to them either, but when 100% of them are negative there is usually a reason. Think Gigli or Glitter.

It's not 100% of them, more like 78%. That said, I doubt I would have paid money to see it after the reviews.
Old 03-05-05, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Interesting to see Robert Pastorelli in this as well. He died a while back of an OD. Word has it that he was about to be arrested in the murder of his girlfriend as well, according to one of the websites that I read.
Old 03-05-05, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts
Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
Dear F. Gary Gray,

With Be Cool, you have somehow managed to take a wonderful cast and completely waste each and every one of them. You took an Elmore Leonard novel and completely striped it of it's style. This film has no style. The film is bland. It's basic big budget cookie cutter material (like The Italian Job).

Be Cool sucked. It's not fun to watch like Jackie Brown or Out of Sight. This film is a chore to watch. A boring and awful chore to watch. I wanted to commit suicide while watching this movie. Good job, considering I saw The Jacket before hand.

Please leave Hollywood now. Hopefully The Italian Job II will bomb and you'll be shunned out of Hollywood.

Thank you.
Haven't seen it. But that's pretty harsh. Especially considering that his movies are pretty well regarded, and make good BO totals...

Rotten Tomatoes % / BO Totals / Notes

Be Cool - 28% / 50mil probably?
Friday - 83% / $27mil / Made Chris Tucker a star. Though it didn't do much at the BO, it's a VERY VERY VERY popular movie. And quite possibly ONE OF THE MOST LIKABLE MOVIES OF ALL TIME!
A Man Apart - 10% / $26mil / Haven't seen. Don't plan on seeing.
The Italian Job - 73% / $106mil / Excellent, well rounded, fun movie.
Set it Off - 53% / $36mil / So-so. Saw it once. It was exciting and poignant.
The Negotiater - 78% / $45mil / Very entertaining. A movie, like Die Hard, that I always watch when I see it on TV.
Old 03-05-05, 08:56 PM

Received 1,906 Likes on 1,125 Posts
It's simply too clunky. It's a danger, if the screenwriter doesn't know how to handle Leonard, which clearly this writer had issue with. Meanwhile, The Big Bounce was too thin. It's a delicate balance, and apparantly only Tarantino and Scott Frank know how to adapt Elmore Leonard.

It's too bad.
Old 03-05-05, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Obvious thread fart here.

Let me guess, the Rock acts like on of the many characters he's played in WWE at least a dozen times. The guy never comes off as acting, in my opinion. He always seems like he's just playing his WWE role in every film.
Old 03-05-05, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just saw it and i have to dissagree with the critics (which happens often ), but this movie was very entertaining! The overally story isnt all that great, though still interesting, what is great though is the performances from the people involved. For me, Vince Vaughn, The Rock and Andre 3000 alone make the movie worth seeing. Vince Vaughn is one hell of a comedic actor. I was so used to seeing him in dramas a few years ago and was a bit bothered when he started doing all these comedies, but he does them well, especially in this movie. And yeah The Rock gave a performance that takes jabs at his wrestling persona, but so what, thats what so great about his role. Hes got great charisma and i enjoy watching anything he does. Anyway, the movie is a good ol time, if thats what your looking for, go see it.
Old 03-05-05, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts
Originally Posted by Terrell

Let me guess, the Rock acts like on of the many characters he's played in WWE at least a dozen times. The guy never comes off as acting, in my opinion. He always seems like he's just playing his WWE role in every film.
Unless he was a flaming cowboy homosexual in the WWE then I'd say he's playing a different role.

I thought it was very funny and from the laughs I heard in the theater last night most people thought the same way.
Old 03-05-05, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Terrell

My friend and I, who both hated the flick, liked The Rock in it. He was very likeable and hilarious. Too bad he can't find better work, because I'd see him in it after this and The Rundown.
Old 03-06-05, 01:26 AM
Banned

I liked Vince Vaughn: He plays a white guy who acts like a ghetto black. He's the best thing in the movie.
I liked THE ROCK: He plays a gay bodyguard, his part is funny & entertaining.
There is a dance scene between Travolta & Uma Thurman that is o.k., but had they photographed the scene head to toe instead of waste up the dance scene would have shown how good the dance scene is.
I grade this movie a "D"!
They should have made a buddy movie with Vince Vaugh & The Rock!
Old 03-06-05, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
Saw it yesterday. It had entertaining bits, a few laugh out loud moments. But as I was watching it, I was asking myself "Did this movie have to be made?" The answer was "no" but I'm glad they did. I enjoyed Get Shorty and found this a good continuation of the Chili Palmer character. Not the greatest but there are worse ways to kill a couple of hours on a Saturday afternoon.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.