Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Comic Book movies: what matters the most to you?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Comic Book movies: what matters the most to you?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-05, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 727 Likes on 531 Posts
Originally Posted by Playitagainsam
This will be my last post - and visit - in this thread, because I'm thoroughly disgusted by the aggressive stupidity of some forum members, and I don't deem it necessary to go on fueling my threadcrap.
Fixed.
Old 02-18-05, 08:52 PM
Mod Emeritus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Playitagainsam
This will be my last post - and visit - in this thread, because I'm thoroughly disgusted by the aggressive stupidity of some forum members, and I don't deem it necessary to go on fueling the dispute.
I certainly hope that is the case. Simply put, if you return to this thread to continue threadcrapping, you can expect administrative action.
Old 02-18-05, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 203 Likes on 157 Posts
Originally Posted by Dead
I certainly hope that is the case. Simply put, if you return to this thread to continue threadcrapping, you can expect administrative action.

Thanks! I don't know why some people who don't like something feel the need to come into a thread and tell people who do like it they're dumb.
Old 02-18-05, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree Dr. DVD. I wouldnt mind someone giving us a zinger with a simple one shot snappy answer to the question "Comic book movies: what do you want from them?" with the witty remake being "Not anymore of them!" ZING!

I wouldn't mind that. But to then go about how Comic books are not "Real Books" and their stories are not worth telling. This leads into what I want out of my comic book films. I want them to translate what I enjoyed from the comic book on screen as best as possible. If I loved the look and feel of a book I want that on screen. SIN CITY for example looks like it carries that Noir style over perfectly. X-men came across the whole Mutant vs Humankind mentality that made it successful.

I would also like comic book movies to show that they have stories to tell that are worth reading so that folks like playitlikethreadcrap, who believe that comic books are just kid material will realize that this medium has a lot to offer and is not just funny pages from the sunday paper. That's my hope.
Old 02-19-05, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Anyone who ever thinks comics are for kids has obviously never read anything by Garth Ennis, Alan Moore, or Frank Miller.
Old 02-19-05, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

People seem to be too hard on Daredevil. I thought it was a good comic book movie. WHat matters to me is that they dont try to make it exactly like how comics are etc. Hulk.
Old 02-20-05, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by talemyn
Two somewhat related questions:

1) Jack, you mentioned Sandman . . . I had thought about that, too. Do you think it would, realistically, ever be made into a film? They could do a lot with that base material . . . of course, they could also really screw it up.

2) Has anyone seen the Lady Death movie? I stumbled across it in a store the other day and had no idea that it have even been done. Somehow, I have a hard time believing that it was done well, but I'd be happy to hear otherwise.
Okay . . . now that we've gotten rid of him, WILL SOMEBODY ANSWER MY QUESTIONS!!!

Old 02-20-05, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Sandman... there was actually talks of getting it off the ground but they just couldn't get the idea down.

I would say the best Delirium would be Tori Amos. Last I recall HIGH COST OF LIVING was in the works of getting off the ground but Gaiman is pretty busy right now with mirror mask.

WHat matters to me is that they dont try to make it exactly like how comics are etc. Hulk.
I agree completely. I thought the wipes of the hulk were god awful. No need to have them. You might aswell revert to putting "POW" and "BAM" into the film in text on screen. But there was a couple of folks that that actually worked with for some reason.
Old 02-20-05, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
Sandman... there was actually talks of getting it off the ground but they just couldn't get the idea down.

I would say the best Delirium would be Tori Amos. Last I recall HIGH COST OF LIVING was in the works of getting off the ground but Gaiman is pretty busy right now with mirror mask.

I agree completely. I thought the wipes of the hulk were god awful. No need to have them. You might aswell revert to putting "POW" and "BAM" into the film in text on screen. But there was a couple of folks that that actually worked with for some reason.

I was one of them. Found it creative and interesting, but I will admit that I thought it was inappropriate overall for a movie trying to be serious.
Old 02-21-05, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's important to me that the director stays true to the material. While I can tolerate some few minor changes (I wasn't hot on the X-Men costumes, I would've preferred the comic costumes instead) I like for the movies to not deviate too much. From all of the comic book movies I've seen, it's probably 50/50 on good/bad.

Good:
Superman (I like 'em all, although I can admit 1 & 2 are the strongest)
Batman 1 & 2
X-Men & X2: Xmen United
The Punisher
Spider-Man 1 & 2
Blade trilogy

Bad:
Batman 3 & 4 (yuck)
The Hulk (just couldn't get into it, lame story imo)

Haven't Seen:
Daredevil (because it looked to stupid to me, the kingpin is black? come on...)
Old 02-21-05, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,802 Likes on 1,125 Posts
Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
I don't care how faithful or unfaithful they are, as long as they make a GOOD movie. I remember all the hubbub about Spider-Man's web slinging being biological (in the movie version) before Spider-Man 1 came out...which people quickly stopped griping about when they realized the film was pretty darn good (and the second one close to brilliant).

I agree.

People brought up Batman in the Constantine thread but people forget that Tim Burton changed many things about Batmsn in the 89 movie and Batman Returns and it still worked.

They changed:

his costume
Who killed his parents
The Penguin
Catwoman's origin
and so on and so on
Old 02-21-05, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,802 Likes on 1,125 Posts
Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Anyone who ever thinks comics are for kids has obviously never read anything by Garth Ennis, Alan Moore, or Frank Miller.
So true. Hell in Japan. Manga is viewed primarily for adults.
Old 02-21-05, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
So true. Hell in Japan. Manga is viewed primarily for adults.

Japan always amazes me. What is considered low-brow or kid stuff here (i.e. animation, comics, rubber suit monster movies), is taken rather seriously in that country. While it's a bunch of workaholics, Japan seems like the ideal country to be a geek.
Old 02-21-05, 10:37 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I agree.

People brought up Batman in the Constantine thread but people forget that Tim Burton changed many things about Batmsn in the 89 movie and Batman Returns and it still worked.
There was no internet then.
Old 02-21-05, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I, for one, would have expressed my opinion on THE INTERNET!
Old 02-22-05, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

They changed:

his costume
Who killed his parents
The Penguin
Catwoman's origin
and so on and so on
I think in the end, the most important thing about a comic book adaptation (or any adaptation) is one thing: make a good movie.

If the film is good and can stand on its own two legs, then I think most will overlook discrepancies. Well, most should at least. The films that divert from their source material seem to get a lot more flack about those issues when the movie sucks. Remember how many bitched and moaned about the change in the XMen costumes? Then it came out, was considered pretty good, and the subject was overall forgotten. I don't even recall it being a subject of discussion in the build up to X2. Same thing with Spiderman and those organic shooters. Barely a peep about it for Spiderman 2.

If it works, it works. But if it doesn't work, then that begs the question why did they even bother changing it.

So, to answer the thread's question, what matters the most in a comic book movie, well, that question to me is the same as for any movie. Make a good movie.
Old 02-22-05, 02:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Since I've read maybe two comic books in my life, I have to vote for "a good movie" as the most important thing, as well.

Because so many comic characters have stories that are well-known even to non-comic readers, it is important with those characters to stay closer to true to those characters, their personalities and their backstories, though a good movie can make even wholesale changes in a character acceptable to me.

It seems to me, though, that the way to make a good movie is to stay true to the character as its presented in the comics. It doesn't have to be 100% faithful, but it should at least stay in the spirit of the original. I don't understand why studios take a character that's popular for a reason and change major things about the character when making the adaptation.
Old 02-22-05, 03:40 AM
Banned

Has long has they get the main character(s) half way right, I'll enjoy it.