DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Article on upcoming DC Comics movies.... (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/410116-article-upcoming-dc-comics-movies.html)

Doctor Gonzo 02-16-05 06:08 PM

Article on upcoming DC Comics movies....

From USA Today...

DC Comics blazing a superhero trail back to big screen
By Scott Bowles, USA TODAY
LOS ANGELES — For a decade, this has been a one-comic-book town. If you wanted to bring a superhero to the big screen, it was Marvel Comics or nothing.

But now DC Comics is seeking a comeback after foundering with campy '90s Batman and '80s Superman sequels and last year's Catwoman flop.

This time, DC Comics is showcasing a hero with a lower profile. Based on the obscure comic book Hellblazer, which centers on a chain-smoking, cancer-ridden demon hunter, Constantine opens Friday armed with something the comic-book publisher hasn't seen in years: fan excitement.

The Internet is abuzz about DC's upcoming fare:

•Batman Begins, starring Christian Bale, opens June 17.

•Superman Returns, with X-Men director Bryan Singer at the helm, is due in June 2006.

•The Flash is expected to sprint to theaters next year with Blade's David Goyer writing and directing.

• Joss Whedon (Buffy the Vampire Slayer) is in talks to do Wonder Woman.

•The Bourne Supremacy's Paul Greengrass will direct the crime story The Watchmen.

•Matrix creators Andy and Larry Wachowski are producing V for Vendetta, due Nov. 5, about a crime fighter.

Other highly anticipated comic-book movies this year are from other companies: Sin City, from the Dark Horse label, is out April 1, and Marvel's Fantastic Four arrives July 8.

"There's a feeling among fans that DC is finally getting it right," says Rob Worley of the Web site Comics2Film.com. "The movies used to look like they were made by studio executives who knew nothing about the comic books. Now they're getting back to the original stories."

For years, DC and parent company Warner Bros. ruled Hollywood, fueled by superhero fare such as Batman and Superman. But kitschy sequels turned fans off and opened the door to Marvel in such films as Blade, X-Men and Spider-Man.

DC has since followed Marvel's lead by hiring acclaimed directors, such as Batman Begins' Christopher Nolan (Memento), and filmmakers who are professed fans of comics, including Singer and Goyer.

"I like to think of it as the rise, the rest and the rise again of DC Comics," publisher Paul Levitz says. "We're stepping back up to the plate."

Comic films haven't been exactly homering of late. Last year, Spider-Man 2 was the only comics adaptation to reach blockbuster status. The Punisher, Blade: Trinity and Catwoman all took in less than $60 million, though some may make their cost back on DVD.

But Keanu Reeves, who plays Constantine, says that "staying true to the essence of characters" can turn that fate around. Comic-book movies "have fantastical characters, but you're still telling stories you want people to relate to. If you get that right, you'll be OK."

Flynn 02-16-05 07:35 PM

Thank God there's no mention of the Green Lantern film that was supposed to star Jack Black... worst idea ever.

Cameron 02-16-05 07:49 PM

planetary?

how about another animated feature like Mask of the phantasm...

DC has some good stuff...but from book to screen doesn't always translate well

cultshock 02-16-05 07:58 PM

•The Bourne Supremacy's Paul Greengrass will direct the crime story The Watchmen.
What the....? It's been said before and I'll say it again: this could not possibly work as a 2 or 2 1/2 hour film. One of the best comic book stories ever would just end up getting ruined.

Iron_Giant 02-16-05 08:28 PM

How about a movie with the "New Gods". The movie would be a site to behold.

I would also love to see a Teen Titan movie: Speedy (Green Arrow side kick), Kid Flash, Robin, Wonder Girl, Beast Boy and Cyborg. The villian would be The Hive. Now that would be a great movie.

Jackskeleton 02-16-05 09:16 PM

I would love to see a nice green lantern flick with Hal in it.

calhoun07 02-16-05 09:23 PM

Another vote for New Gods.

I think DC's best bet is to mine some of their lesser characters first, like Marvel did with Blade. That way, they can just build a movie franchise and hopefully not piss off too many people in the process about how DC raped thier childhood comics.

I for one do not think that DC is getting it right. I hope Batman Begins is good, but after the craptacular Catwoman and the apparently disappointing Constatine, they are not off on the right foot, and I do not know who these fans are that think they are getting it right with these lousy movies of late. Hell, even Smallville has taken a nose dive this season, and just about the only thing they have good on TV anymore are Justice League Unlimited and Teen Titans.

Chalk me up for one more who would like to see a New Gods movie, but you know there would have to be mroe than one of those.

Jackskeleton 02-16-05 10:14 PM

DC has the best chances of cross promoting. Imagine how big it would be to have a superman/batman flick (yes, its in the works in that whole VS thing..but how soon?) I would love to see them come up with a JLA of the sort. It could work.

They have the advantage of being all under one banner. Something the marvel titles can't do. You can't have Spidey with the x-men. but you can have batman and superman.

I mean shit. How about a Booster Gold and Blue Beetle film? :)

Fok 02-16-05 11:01 PM

I'm looking forward to Batman returns, hopefully the Superman is good, although I can't imagine anyone else playing apart from Reeve.

matrixrok9 02-16-05 11:28 PM

why is david goyer getting another big gig? he has no style. he's better off as a writer.

Giantrobo 02-16-05 11:37 PM

I'm a huge DC fan so all this is good news. :up:

calhoun07 02-17-05 12:38 AM

How about a Booster Gold and Blue Beetle film?
I'd rather see a Question movie. Or even Captain Atom. But definately the Question, and much more so over a new Batman movie.

scott shelton 02-17-05 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by matrixrok9
why is david goyer getting another big gig?

I feel the same way about Greengrass.

clemente 02-17-05 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by scott shelton
I feel the same way about Greengrass.

Likewise.

But anyway, maybe Goyer not having to hire bodyguards to protect him from his star will lead to a better working environment and movie?!?

JohnJaySmith 02-17-05 07:52 PM

I'd like to see someone make a decent Doomsday/Reign of the Supermen movie, or Knightfall, or any of those other funtastic storylines that came out when DC was getting desperate. But considering the last DC movies that have come out, that ain't gonna happen anytime soon. -rolleyes-

Captain Harlock 02-17-05 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
I would love to see a nice green lantern flick with Hal in it.

I also think the Green Lantern has enormous potential as a film.

Who would play Hal Jordan though?

Jackskeleton 02-17-05 08:17 PM

Tom Cruise.

The toy says it all.

http://img168.exs.cx/img168/2384/wiz...84761472cp.jpg

Josh-da-man 02-17-05 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by Cameron
planetary?

I believe that Warren and John have sold that as a television option, so it's unlikely a movie would happen until that option expires. (If it's still active, this is from a three or four years ago at least.)

PopcornTreeCt 02-17-05 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by cultshock
What the....? It's been said before and I'll say it again: this could not possibly work as a 2 or 2 1/2 hour film. One of the best comic book stories ever would just end up getting ruined.

That's what they said about Lord of the Rings. As great as the story may be there's always room to cut scenes.

Captain Harlock 02-17-05 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by Jackskeleton

Actually I was thinking more this guy, Julian McMahon from Charmed and Nip/Tuck

http://www.commanderbond.net/resourc...on/mcmahon.jpg

Jackskeleton 02-17-05 09:13 PM

Maybe for Sinestro. Look at that Egg shaped head. :p

Fincher Fan 02-17-05 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by Doctor Gonzo
DC has since followed Marvel's lead by hiring acclaimed directors, such as Batman Begins' Christopher Nolan (Memento), and filmmakers who are professed fans of comics, including Singer and Goyer.

I thought Singer was unfamiliar with the comics when he first came aboard X-Men?

Captain Harlock 02-17-05 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by Fincher Fan
I thought Singer was unfamiliar with the comics when he first came aboard X-Men?

I remember the interview he did with Charlie Rose and he said that he was, in fact, unfamiliar with the X-Men when he was selected to direct the first X-Men film.

NitroJMS 02-17-05 11:23 PM

I always thought Dennis Quaid would make a good older Hal if they went with that version of the character.

http://www.newsarama.com/DC/haljordan.jpg http://www.peoples.ru/art/cinema/act.../quaid_4_0.jpg

I'd love to see a 3-part story consisting of Hal's origin for the first film, Emerald Twilight/New Dawn for the 2nd (Fall of Hal/Rise of Kyle Rayner), and the still in production Rebirth as the 3rd film.

Unfortunately, a GL movie will probably never happen, or they'll do a bland John Stewart movie since that's who the kids know.

Cartload 02-17-05 11:32 PM

I second Quaid as Hal.