Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Will Ray gain momentum in Oscar chances in the next two weeks?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-05, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

While I think Jamie Foxx is a surefire and deserving lock for Best Actor, I was wondering if the success of Charles' last album at the Grammys and the good sales of the DVD (which I am also sure will get a grammy boost as well) will increase its chances of winning the Best Picture award as well? Charles is getting remembered now more than ever thanks to both the movie and his grammy noms, and seeing as how February is Black History Month, what better way to end a month of honoring one of its most important figures than with a Best Picture Oscar?

Just my thoughts, "Ray" might not stake a chance, but still, if "Sideways" and "Million Dollar Baby" suffer the backlash effect, which in a way they both seem to be doing, "Ray" might sneak in there and grab it.
Old 02-14-05, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hope so....... but doubt it
Old 02-14-05, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
There's no way RAY wins Best Picture...many are suprised it even got nominated in that category. I think it's the weakest film of the five...as a FILM. I agree that Foxx's performance is fantastic though - I just think the movie isn't quite as satisfying as it might have been/should have been.

I think THE AVIATOR is still the slight odds on favorite, followed closely by MILLION DOLLAR BABY. If there's an upset, it will be with SIDEWAYS.
Old 02-14-05, 11:02 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
I too do not think that Ray will gain momentum for Best Picture. Foxx may gain some momentum for Best Actor (if there is any to be gained in the first place). It appears as though The Aviator is the favorite for Best Picture at the moment. However, during the next two weeks, I think quite a bit can change -- especially with Million Dollar Baby. If anything I see that gaining momentum. Regarding Sideways, it has already received the critical praise it deserves and I get the feeling that those who wanted to see it already have. It doesn't have the word-of-mouth effect that Million Dollar Baby appears to be having.
Old 02-14-05, 11:03 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Apart from Foxx, don't expect a lot of Oscars for Ray.
Old 02-14-05, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
Do you think Scorsese stands a chance of getting Best Director? I don't think he's received the award from any major groups as of yet, and he lost both the Golden Globe and Directors Guild Award to Clint Eastwood, rightfully IMO.

Not to go on a negative rant, but I don't think they should just give him that award for Aviator as it is not his best work. The movie was good, but there was nothing in it to make it uniquely Scorsese, unlike Goodfellas, Raging Bull, or even GONY.
Old 02-14-05, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Not to be an ass, but Ray Charles is starting to get on my nerves.
Old 02-14-05, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

won't help....the votes are in i believe...just got to open the envelopes at this point
Old 02-14-05, 03:21 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Not to go on a negative rant, but I don't think they should just give him that award for Aviator as it is not his best work. The movie was good, but there was nothing in it to make it uniquely Scorsese, unlike Goodfellas, Raging Bull, or even GONY.
Agreed. Furthermore, if it wins Best Picture, it will be to make up for the times when one of his movies deserved to win the award, IMO.
Old 02-14-05, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ray is by far the worst of the nominated films. If that movie wins Best Picture then what little faith I had in the Academy will be lost.
Old 02-14-05, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Foxx is already locked in for best actor. But other than that, Ray wont get much.
Old 02-14-05, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah, Foxx is going to take best actor, but I don't think Ray has even the slightest chance of a best pic nod. It was lucky to even get nominated, as many don't even think it was really worthy of that.
Old 02-16-05, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Cameron
won't help....the votes are in i believe...just got to open the envelopes at this point
Last voting is Feb 22 at 5pm Pacific
Old 02-16-05, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If Ray Charles hadn't just died, would Foxx have any chance? I say no way.
Old 02-16-05, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
Originally Posted by jaeufraser
Yeah, Foxx is going to take best actor, but I don't think Ray has even the slightest chance of a best pic nod. It was lucky to even get nominated, as many don't even think it was really worthy of that.
"Nods" usually refer to nominations.
Old 02-16-05, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Originally Posted by Charlie Goose
If Ray Charles hadn't just died, would Foxx have any chance? I say no way.
I say yes way. It was an incredible performance...one of the best of a real-life person that I've seen. Certainly far better than the performances that HAVE won Best Actor in the last several years.
Old 02-16-05, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Jamie Foxx disappeared from the screen and became Ray Charles in the movie; the Oscar is his. I agree with everyone else on the movie itself. No way Ray is taking home the best picture Oscar.
Old 02-16-05, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Not a chance that Ray wins Best Picture.
Old 02-17-05, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

After watching Hotel Rwanda, I really wish Don Cheadle's chances of getting best actor are as big, if not bigger, than Jamie Foxx's Ray.
Old 02-17-05, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Charlie Goose
Not to be an ass, but Ray Charles is starting to get on my nerves.
I'm glad someone else feels this way. This hype has got to end, it is really, really annoying.
Old 02-18-05, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
I say yes way. It was an incredible performance...one of the best of a real-life person that I've seen. Certainly far better than the performances that HAVE won Best Actor in the last several years.
I'm not saying it was or wasn't a great performance (haven't seen it), but if Ray Charles had not died this year I think the race would be a lot more even. Then again, the Academy has always thrown in headscratchers.
Old 02-18-05, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I hope NOT!
Old 02-18-05, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Like others have said, if Ray wins BP (which I 99% believe it won't) then the Academy is just...well, blind (no pun intended).

After thinking about it a bit, I believe that the Best Picture Oscar should go to Million Dollar Baby with Sideways a close second.

If Scorsese wins Best Director then that is fine. I read a lot about how Scorsese works and his skills are (obviously) worthwhile (he works on even the minute of minute details) as Clint Eastwood just gets it done and over with.
Old 02-18-05, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think Clint Eastwood deserves Best Director and Million Dollar Baby deserves to win Best Picture. For Clint, its because he can bang out an Academy Award nominated film in only 36 days and Million Dollar Baby simply because it is the best of the nominated films.