Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Clerks II (2006, D: Kevin Smith)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Clerks II (2006, D: Kevin Smith)

Old 08-27-04, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Passion of the Clerks - Clerks 2 - Coming soon?

From JoBlo.com...

"We've talked about it, we've hypothesized over it, we've even emailed writer/director Kevin Smith drunk in the middle of the night, begging him to re-visit Dante and Randal from Red Bank's own Quick Stop convenience store and today comes word that Smith is indeed working on a sequel to his break-out hit, CLERKS, tentatively entitled THE PASSION OF THE CLERKS (uuuhmm, you might want to change that trendy title though) I'm about as happy as a little girl to hear that Smith will be going back to his roots with this film, which would pick up 10 years after the first one ended (thank God he didn't keep that original ending, eh?) and would apparently start filming as early as January 2005, with Miramax distributing. Here's what Smith himself had to say about it:

"It's about what happens when that lazy, 20-something malaise lasts into your 30s. Those dudes are kind of still mired, not in that same exact situation, but in a place where it's time to actually grow up and do something more than just sit around and dissect pop culture and talk about sex. It's: What happened to these dudes?"

Both Brian O'Halloran (Dante) and Jeff Anderson (Randal) have already signed on for the sequel, with Smith's alter-ego of Silent Bob and his stoner buddy Jay, returning as well. It will be interesting to see how Smith plays Jason Mewes' real-life drug problems into the story-line. For anyone who thinks this is Smith's way of making even more moolah, he insists that not to be true, estimating the new film's budget to be somewhere between $250,000 and $5M (the original reportedly only cost him $27,000, part of which he raised by selling his comic book collection) This film would now be at the top of his "to do" list, as he continues to write the screenplay for THE GREEN HORNET, a film which he will likely not direct anymore."
Old 08-27-04, 09:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I hope someday he makes a comedy with different actors and characters, but I doubt that will ever happen.
Old 08-27-04, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by ArchibaldTuttle
I hope someday he makes a comedy with different actors and characters, but I doubt that will ever happen.
If it ain't broke...
Old 08-27-04, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
I'm down.
Old 08-27-04, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Awesome.
Old 08-27-04, 10:42 PM
Premium Member

Received 694 Likes on 464 Posts
I've liked KS films except for Jersey Girl... Hope he is just not trying to cash in on early success.

I'd go see it, but I thought the alternate ending would have ended that story perfectly. Not sure it really has anywhere else to go...
Old 08-27-04, 11:12 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I'll see it, but I'd far prefer a Clerks animated motion picture.
Old 08-27-04, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I couldn't believe it when I saw this article on Yahoo News. One of the last things I expected to see. Whatever happened to Smith saying how he'd never do another Jersey Trilogy movie after JASBSB, how we'd never see Jay and Silent Bob again, etc etc.

Not complaining yet, since there we've got about all of one paragraph to judge the movie on right now. I just become extremely suspicious when something like this happens. He has a moderate failure with Jersey Girl, then the very next movie it's right back to the franchise that made him his fame and fortune. I hope this sequel lives up to Clerks, but I just don't think it will. None of the other Jersey Trilogy movies did. Clerks always stood out as this unique masterpiece that Smith hasn't really ever repeated (I say that even though Mallrats is my favorite of his movies.) One thing's a pretty safe bet: There's no way this will be in B&W. I think the lack of color was one of the things that brought character to Clerks.

Smith said: "I'm sure there will be naysayers who say, 'Oh my God, it's an opportunistic grab at a buck,' but it's not. We're doing it for nothing," Sorry, but I'll believe it when I see it.
Old 08-27-04, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

has to be B/W!
Old 08-27-04, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Yeah, I though J&SBSB was the end too. However, I think it'll be interesting to see how [relative] success corrupts a person. Not to mention living in LA.
Old 08-27-04, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Doesn't surprise me the bit. At least he realizes he can't make any other type of film.
Old 08-27-04, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 846 Likes on 591 Posts
It shows how limited Kevin Smith is as a writer/director.

He's pulling a Guy Ritchie here, where he strays away from his formula and creates a real stinker (ie. Swept Away) and winds up going back to the only thing he can do.

He stated that he's done with those characters, but I saw this move coming a mile away... it's all about the paycheck - and his inability to grow.

Last edited by Coral; 08-28-04 at 09:09 AM.
Old 08-28-04, 12:21 AM
Cool New Member

Yeah, I will see this film I am sure. I have enjoyed all of his films (well, except Jersey Girl. I have not seen that one). However, I really would prefer for him to leave that universe alone like he said he would. If that is all that he can do with his talent, then he could create a "new universe" to play around in for a few movies.

As for his quote of...
"I'm sure there will be naysayers who say, 'Oh my God, it's an opportunistic grab at a buck,' but it's not. We're doing it for nothing,"
I am not really sure how much weight that carries. I mean sure he will make it for
somewhere between $250,000 and $5M
but is he telling us that if the film grosses $40 million dollars that he will not benefit financially from that? I am not saying he is doing it for the money, but I think it is highly likely that this film will turn quite a large profit and that he will benefit financially from it.

But really, he can obviously do whatever he wants. It just shows what a great job he did with the initial film and the other Jersey films that so many of us feel so overprotective towards it.
Old 08-28-04, 12:37 AM
Suspended

I'm glad to see Smith is going back to his roots and what he knows works. I just hope he doesn't run it into the ground and also hope he doesn't fill it with cameos from "the whole gang" just for the sake of doing it.
Old 08-28-04, 12:44 AM
Banned

Originally posted by ArchibaldTuttle
Why?? Like the other guy said, if it aint broke dont fix it. Clerks is a classic, it deserves a sequel, it for sure wont be as good as the original but I think it can carry its own weight.
Old 08-28-04, 12:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Mr.Blonde510
Why?? Like the other guy said, if it aint broke dont fix it. Clerks is a classic, it deserves a sequel, it for sure wont be as good as the original but I think it can carry its own weight.
Clerks had a sequel it was called Mallrats.
Old 08-28-04, 01:28 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'm fuckin' glad to see Jay and Silent Bob again!
Old 08-28-04, 01:32 AM
Banned

Originally posted by PopcornTreeCt
Clerks had a sequel it was called Mallrats.
Nah, thats like saying Jersey Girl is the sequel to Chasing Amy.
Old 08-28-04, 01:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Nah, Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back was the sequel to Chasing Amy.
Old 08-28-04, 01:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Mallrats was the prequel to Clerks. Get it right goddamnit.

Chasing Amy, Dogma, and Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back are the sequels.
Old 08-28-04, 02:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I agree, but really, how much of a sequel is this Clerks 2 likely to be?

The original Clerks just had this indie, hurried and $0 budget feeling that can never be repeated. Trying to create a "sequel" to it is something I just can't see in a positive light. By doing so Clerks 2 is either going to get weigh Smith's creative freedom down trying to emulate the original too much, or it's going to be a colorized $5+ million ode to the entire Jersey Trilogy universe with the convenience store as a setting. I'd be much more enthused if this was a new film in the Jersey universe with Dante and Randall as the stars... Just not a sequel to Clerks.

Then again there's a factor I haven't seen mentioned yet: Smith has been full of bullshit for a few years now. Animated Clerks feature was due how many years ago? Mallrats graphic novel. The end of Jay and Silent Bob forever! I've been waiting a couple years for the Marvel comics that Smith wrote and then never finished. Point: The last few years, Smith's promised a whole lot of things with little to show. Clerks 2's chances of getting made based on his follow-through record of late ain't exactly reassuring.
Old 08-28-04, 03:38 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
That's a good point, but after Jersey Girl was such a dissapointment, I have a strong feeling he'll probably do this just to have another hit on his hands.
Old 08-28-04, 03:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm glad to see Smith is going back to his roots and what he knows works. I just hope he doesn't run it into the ground and also hope he doesn't fill it with cameos from "the whole gang" just for the sake of doing it.
Like JASBSB.

I am a big Smith fan, but after seeing JASBSB, I really disliked it... I didn't see Jersey Girl partly because of this.
Old 08-28-04, 03:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Also bring back Veronica and Catlin Bree and ill be down for this sequel.
Old 08-28-04, 06:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Maybe its me but I always thought Smith's career would go higher but he seems to keep going back to the same well too many times, why tease with ideas of doing a Fletch or Green Hornet -without any of his regulars- and then backtrack to this? And as for the comaprison to Ritchie, him doing Swept Away was obviouslt his wife's doing, same way Smith was forced into casting his wife into Jay and Bob and she stuck out like a sore thumb compared to the other 2 girls in the gang.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.