Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Iron Giant 2: Hogarth in Vietnam

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 02-10-05, 01:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Saw Brad Bird tonight at a Barnes & Noble signing of "The Art of The Incredibles". Someone asked him if there would be a sequel to Iron Giant. He said only if he could do a more intense version: "It's 1969 and Hogarth is in Vietnam".

A woman pointed out that the newspaper headline Dean McCoppin reads in the Iron Giant ("Disaster Seen as Catastrophe Looms") is the same headline that Jim Dear is reading in Lady and the Tramp (1955). Bird was excited that she noticed. Then she mentioned that Jiminy Cricket is reading the same headline in the short Fun and Fancy Free (1947) - Bird wasn't aware of that

It was a pretty cool event. Bird answered questions for 40 minutes and then signed books and DVDs. They gave out free Incredibles screenplays, which he signed.
Old 02-10-05, 01:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 953 Likes on 661 Posts
Wish I was there. Was he being serious about the sequel or just kidding around? I don't think anyone would greenlight it though.
Old 02-10-05, 01:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by tanman
Wish I was there. Was he being serious about the sequel or just kidding around? I don't think anyone would greenlight it though.
That's exactly what he said. He seemed semi-serious, but he said Warner Bros. would never approve.

By the way, I only found out about the event like 45 minutes before it happened - I drove like a bat out of hell and got there just in time.
Old 02-10-05, 01:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
is he doing a tour...or just a one night stop in vegas
Old 02-10-05, 04:18 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
well, what a built up of excitment to be let down that it's just a "what if.." since it will never happen.
Old 02-10-05, 05:03 AM
Banned

Right now if Bird really wanted to do it, he could. I'd be down with it, if only because people would then check out the first one.
Old 02-10-05, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Cameron
is he doing a tour...or just a one night stop in vegas
Not sure. Here's the details:

Meet the Oscar(R) nominated creator of THE INCREDIBLES, Brad
Bird!! Brad will be signing copies of "The Art of The
Incredibles" book for legions of INCREDIBLES fans and the
first 250 fans will also receive a copy of the Oscar(R)
nominated screenplay from THE INCREDIBLES.

Wednesday, February 9th
WHERE: Barnes and Noble
The Grove at Farmers Marke
189 Grove Drive Suite K 30
Los Angeles, CA 90036

Example of the script:

Old 02-10-05, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I tried to find a personal website of his that might post tour dates on Google, but only found a website promoting the aforementioned book signing. If anybody finds out any info, please let us know!

I had my suspicions that this thread might not be about an actual movie, but I know if Brad Bird did want to do a sequel for Iron Giant, it would be out of love for the project and not because he thought he could make a ton of money at it, considering the modest performance the first one had at the theater. But even though the first movie did set up the potential for a sequel, I am not sure I would want to see one, but it would be interesting to hear what Brad Bird would have in mind for it.
Old 02-10-05, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts
A movie about Hogarth in Vietnam would definitely be interesting. What would be even more interesting is if the bad guy from the first one was in the war as a CIA agent trying to run the show.
Old 02-10-05, 04:37 PM

Except of course the bad guy from the first movie committed treason by ordering a nuclear attack on U.S. soil. Somehow, I don't think they'd promote him.
Old 02-11-05, 01:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
No.

One's a beautiful tale of a boy dealing with the paranoia of a small town. He's far away from any looming danger.

Contrast that with one of the ugliest, most brutal, and most shameful times in American military history. Hogarth would be a man. What's the plan? Hogarth summons the giant to flush out charlie?

I know, I know. Bird probably has an excellent idea in his head - he's proved that he's creative, and an excellent storyteller. This whole thing just doesn't sit right with me.
Old 02-11-05, 01:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

i would love to be at a Q&A with this guy...nashville has a borders and a barnes and noble....

iron giant 2 would be nice as well
Old 02-11-05, 07:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 647 Likes on 447 Posts
Originally Posted by DonnachaOne
One's a beautiful tale of a boy dealing with the paranoia of a small town. He's far away from any looming danger.
Did you miss the part where a nuke was almost dropped on his head?
Old 02-11-05, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jay G.
You call THAT "looming danger"?

Peh.

He has to be joking. Can you imagine the script?

...Hogarth, a full blown peacenik by now, isn't rich or cowardly enough to get a spot in the air national gaurd, and he gets drafted...maybe meets up with the now disillusioned general and the cowardly right wing wacko agent. The agent now wants to use the giant against Charlie, but Hogarth appeals to the giant's inner "Superman"...

I'm not sure where it would go from there, but my guess is that the agent eventually ends up in the Swiftboat Partisans for "Truth"...but that's Iron Giant 3, and I don't want to get ahead of myself.

Seriously, Iron Giant does not need a sequel. It is in my opinion, the best animated film of the past 25 years, bar none and a sequel would only serve to diminish that. Think about the Aladdin and Lion King sequels.
Old 02-11-05, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by chess
You call THAT "looming danger"?
No, I'd call that immediate danger. The looming danger was the possibility that the Soviets might nuke us at any moment.

He has to be joking. Can you imagine the script?

...Hogarth, a full blown peacenik by now, isn't rich or cowardly enough to get a spot in the air national gaurd, and he gets drafted...maybe meets up with the now disillusioned general and the cowardly right wing wacko agent. The agent now wants to use the giant against Charlie, but Hogarth appeals to the giant's inner "Superman"...
So the sequel would be crap just because you can't think of a good storyline?

Seriously, Iron Giant does not need a sequel. It is in my opinion, the best animated film of the past 25 years, bar none and a sequel would only serve to diminish that. Think about the Aladdin and Lion King sequels.
Seriously, I don't think any film in history actually needed a sequel. The only exception would be the LOTR films, which had a single story spread over 3 films. And while I agree that sequels are mostly awful, that's not the only possbile outcome. Think Toy Story 2.
Old 02-11-05, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

While I might of missed it, I don't think the purpose for which the Giant was created was ever explained in the original movie. All we knew was that it was obviously a weapon, but for whom and what remains a mystery.
Old 02-11-05, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

No, I'd call that immediate danger. The looming danger was the possibility that the Soviets might nuke us at any moment.

So the sequel would be crap just because you can't think of a good storyline?

Seriously, I don't think any film in history actually needed a sequel. The only exception would be the LOTR films, which had a single story spread over 3 films. And while I agree that sequels are mostly awful, that's not the only possbile outcome. Think Toy Story 2.
1) Figured you'd recognize that as sarcasm.

2) Fair enough. I'm no Brad Bird...but I really can't imagine where one would go with the "Hogarth in Vietnam" premise.

3) Point taken, but I still don't think that an Iron Giant sequel is a good idea, even though the original left the possibility wide open. Also, I'm reasonably certain that Bird was joking. Unfortunately, the inflection in his voice is absent in the written text.
Old 02-11-05, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
While I might of missed it, I don't think the purpose for which the Giant was created was ever explained in the original movie. All we knew was that it was obviously a weapon, but for whom and what remains a mystery.
There is a deleted scene on the new Special Edition DVD that hints at why he was created and possibly how he ended up on Earth.
Old 02-11-05, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

There is a deleted scene on the new Special Edition DVD that hints at why he was created and possibly how he ended up on Earth.

What does it involve?
Old 02-11-05, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The deleted scene is:
Spoiler:
The Iron Giant has a dream after the incident with the deer. The dream is also broadcast to Dean's TV. In the dream, an alien world is shown where thousands of Giants are built and set loose to fight in a planetary war. At the end, the world is blown up by some cataclysmic explosion.

This could explain that the Iron Giant was tossed by the explosion into deep space, eventually colliding with Earth. Also, these scene helps justify Dean's later reaction towards the Giant as being a weapon.

What's interesting is that this scene and a few others were not removed from the film because of story or pacing issues, but because they didn't have enough money to finish them.
Old 02-11-05, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The deleted scene is:
Spoiler:
The Iron Giant has a dream after the incident with the deer. The dream is also broadcast to Dean's TV. In the dream, an alien world is shown where thousands of Giants are built and set loose to fight in a planetary war. At the end, the world is blown up by some cataclysmic explosion.

This could explain that the Iron Giant was tossed by the explosion into deep space, eventually colliding with Earth. Also, these scene helps justify Dean's later reaction towards the Giant as being a weapon.

What's interesting is that this scene and a few others were not removed from the film because of story or pacing issues, but because they didn't have enough money to finish them.

Dang! That could be the seeds for a sequel in itself.
Spoiler:
The giant is traced to earth and must defend it against others of his type.
Old 02-11-05, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Dang! That could be the seeds for a sequel in itself.
Spoiler:
The giant is traced to earth and must defend it against others of his type.
Yeha, that sounds like a Disney-style DTV release if I ever heard it
Old 02-12-05, 03:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
That wasn't very nice.

Why was the nuke about to drop on his head, hmm? Did that happen a lot in 50's smalltown America? Or did you miss why the nuke was about to hit the town, hmmm?
Old 02-12-05, 06:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DonnachaOne
Why was the nuke about to drop on his head, hmm? Did that happen a lot in 50's smalltown America? Or did you miss why the nuke was about to hit the town, hmmm?
I agree that it was caused by the paranoia of the government. However, I was disagreeing with your assertion that Hogarth was "far away from looming danger." The nuclear missle definitely provided danger, along with the rest of the army and their weapons. And the whole point of the Cold War was it didn't matter that you were far away, that danger was still ever present, even seeping into Hogarth's school.
Old 02-12-05, 09:56 PM

I really love The Iron Giant, and I'm not sure how I'd take a sequel.