Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Where is Cameron Diaz?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Where is Cameron Diaz?

Old 02-06-05, 02:07 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where is Cameron Diaz?

Has she done anything besides voice-work for Shrek 2?

I was watching Any Given Sunday last night and It would be a shame to not see her fine ass again.
Old 02-06-05, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
According to IMDB, she has three projects in the works:

In Her Shoes, W.A.S.P.S., and Shrek 3.
Old 02-06-05, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

She's rich as hell, she's probably taking it easy.

If you really want to know what Cameron Diaz is doing though, pick up a tabloid.
Old 02-06-05, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ShelleyLevene
It would be a shame to not see her fine ass again.
No, no it wouldn't.
Old 02-06-05, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
No, no it wouldn't.
Old 02-06-05, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Has she done anything besides voice-work for Shrek 2?

I was watching Any Given Sunday last night and It would be a shame to not see her fine ass again.
coreycouger?
Old 02-06-05, 05:10 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Isn't she marrying Justin Timberlake?
Old 02-06-05, 05:37 PM
sdk

I think she is, so he probably has her tied up in his dungeon.
Old 02-06-05, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't think she has to work much.

One of the highest paid actresses in Hollywood.
Old 02-06-05, 06:32 PM
Banned

She's making 20 million a film its not like she really needs to work. And its not like society is really longing for her acting abilities. Same thing with Chris Tucker.
Old 02-06-05, 10:09 PM
Banned

Overpaid.
She did a career performance in CHARLIE'S ANGELS and since then she get's $20 mil. a movie. I would rather cast a Victoria Secret model and save a bundle if I was a producer.
Old 02-06-05, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by wm lopez
Overpaid.
She did a career performance in CHARLIE'S ANGELS and since then she get's $20 mil. a movie. I would rather cast a Victoria Secret model and save a bundle if I was a producer.
Save a bundle, yes. Make as much money? Possibly not.

You can think she's a terrible actress, you can hate her, but she's a big star and carries a certain amount of starpower with her. Her films make money, that's all there is really to it. Everyone knows acting salaries when they're that big have nothing whatsoever to do with acting talent, and everything to do with marketibility. And she's got it in spades over some Victoria Secrets model.

Granted, I'm not sure she's worth 20 million, but she's defiantely worth a decent amount.
Old 02-07-05, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by jaeufraser
Save a bundle, yes. Make as much money? Possibly not.

You can think she's a terrible actress, you can hate her, but she's a big star and carries a certain amount of starpower with her. Her films make money, that's all there is really to it. Everyone knows acting salaries when they're that big have nothing whatsoever to do with acting talent, and everything to do with marketibility. And she's got it in spades over some Victoria Secrets model.

Granted, I'm not sure she's worth 20 million, but she's defiantely worth a decent amount.
I gotta agree with Lopez. Unlike the other actors who get that kind of money, she cant carry a film on her own. I'm not even talking about acting prowess. Of her last 15 or so movies the only one where you could describe her as carrying was "The Sweetest Thing". It had a 40 million dollar budget and made 24 million domestically at the box office.

I think shes smart though. Shes convinced Hollywood that she deserves to get paid like someone who can put asses in the seats, when in reality she cant.
Old 02-07-05, 12:31 AM

While I don't see Cameron Diaz on par with the male stars like Tom Cruise or Will Smith, able to bring in audiences into any movie, truth of the matter is very few female stars have that sort of pull. And the ones who do are in general limited to the romcom genre when it comes to box office power (Julia Roberts can bring in an audience, but really, only for certain types of films).

But I think it's naive to deny Diaz's starpower as something that brings in money. It's certainly not something one can gauge to an exact degree, and I think 20 million is a bit much for her, but she certainly does have some ability to bring in audiences with the right type of film. Though her supposed salary for Gangs of New York seems a bit exhorbitant, as for an actress like her, I think her salary on the right type of film is deserved.
Old 02-07-05, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I agree with Jaeufraser. She's been in 9 movies in her ten year career that grossed over $100 million, and if you believe that some of these grosses are not attributed to the presence of Cameron, I think you're probably kidding yourself. Does she have the star power of Julia Roberts, probably not. Is she worth $20 mil a pic? Probably not. Does her box office track record entitle her to be one of the highest paid actresses? Definitely. It's all about the $$$.

From boxofficemojo.com

Cameron Diaz:
Lifetime Gross Total (19): $1,687,611,321
Average: $88,821,648
Opening Gross Average (14): $25,075,954 (Wide Releases Only)

Julia Roberts:
Lifetime Gross Total (29): $2,091,772,327
Average: $72,130,080
Opening Gross Average (22): $17,544,860 (Wide Releases Only)
Old 02-07-05, 08:08 AM

Received 155 Likes on 112 Posts
Comparing average grosses like that without factoring in inflation is ludicrous. Even if you did that it would still be pointless, for to many reasons to mention.
Old 02-07-05, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

What does inflation have to do with anything? We're talking about why she's making $20 million a picture TODAY and the stats I posted were comparing box office performances of the other $20mil actress, Julia Roberts. We're not talking about the tired old Titanic/Gone With the Wind box office thing here or comparing to an actress from the 50's.
Old 02-07-05, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 154 Likes on 109 Posts
Inflation is an ongoing economic effect and has to be factored in year to year. IMHO it is pertinent to this discussion since you brought up box office.

Besides, as Thrush pointed out she has yet to carry a hit film on her own.

I'm not hatin', I'm just sayin'...
Old 02-07-05, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yes, but the comparison spans the same time period and even with the adjusted price for the six extra years Roberts has (negligible with a $.07 ticket price difference from 1988), her averages will still be comparable with Diaz. I also believe that her performance as Mary in There's Something About Mary could be considered a carrying role.
Old 02-07-05, 10:11 AM

Lets be honest here. If they replaced her voice in Shrek 3 with an unknown, would anybody really notice or care? I also don't think you can say she's ever really carried a role like Julia Roberts (who until recent choices was usually the focal point of her movies) and has comparable success. Her biggest success (outside of the Shreks, which are totally Mike Myers movies') are the Charlie's Angels films (she certainly deserves credit for those, but it was more on an ensemble) and There's Something About Mary (which was more of a word of mouth hit because it was so funny). Don't get me wrong, I think she can be quite good in certain roles, but its baffling that she gets paid that much. I don't think her films are often referred to as "that new Cameron Diaz movie".
Old 02-07-05, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 49 Likes on 32 Posts
Has she done anything...
Justin Timberlake
Old 02-07-05, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think Cameron Diaz's box office numbers are highly inflated because of the 2 Shrek movies. If anyone should get credit it should be Mike Myers and Eddie Murphy.
Old 02-07-05, 05:10 PM

While those numbers are surely inflated by Shrek, pretending that Diaz doesn't have anything to do with Shrek's success is silly. There's lots of factors that make a movie successful, but there's no doubt that one of the main marketing angles of Shrek was "Mike Myers, Eddie Murphy, and Cameron Diaz." You'll notice that most animated films do not use their stars so prominently in their marketing, but Shrek has them front and center. How much effect Diaz had is close to impossible to gauge, and seeing those movies I would even venture to say her voice is rather easy to swap versus the other two, but Diaz is a big star. And, that counts. You'll also notice that her Shrek performances are not as well paid as her live action ones. Myers, Murphy, and Diaz all got 10 mil for Shrek 2, but their pay for the first one was less, and they make more on their live action features.

Regardless, Diaz has, consistently, put herself in films that make money. We can try to explain away each and every one of those films, but it doesn't change the fact that her films make money. So whether her marketing power is tangible (and I think it is), if you put her into your film, it's rather believable that your film will make money. She's had some duds, and I don't she ranks up with Julia, but she's still one of the biggest female actresses out there.
Old 02-07-05, 05:49 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

I don't know. There's a difference between 'being familiar' and 'being a draw'. She has people like Mike Myers, Tom Cruise, Leonardo DiCaprio, Drew Berrymore, etc. to costar with in her hits, and clearly they are responsible for their share of these movie's successes as well. I think Diaz is obviously a draw to some degree, but her string of hits is as much due to picking the right projects (and costars) as her own starpower, IMO.
Old 02-08-05, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by DRG
I don't know. There's a difference between 'being familiar' and 'being a draw'. She has people like Mike Myers, Tom Cruise, Leonardo DiCaprio, Drew Berrymore, etc. to costar with in her hits, and clearly they are responsible for their share of these movie's successes as well.
Don't forget Ben Stiller and Brett Favre. I would pay to see either of them act before Diaz.