DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Jack Nicholson in Scorsese's The Departed (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/408205-jack-nicholson-scorseses-departed.html)

devilshalo 03-01-04 12:05 PM

Infernal Affairs & Scorsese

Daily Variety is reporting that Martin Scorsese is trying to get the rights to remake Infernal Affairs and for it to star Leaonardo DiCaprio. :rolleyes:

From the article, "Infernal will be reset in Boston, amid tough Irish-American mobsters and cops who are their constant nemesis. Pic to be produced by Scorsese as well as Brad Grey, Jennifer Aniston and Brad Pitt's Plan B shingle, with Pitt considering a starring role in the film too."

Giles 03-01-04 12:15 PM

From what I have heard Brad Pitt owns the rights - this was mentioned at the Palm Springs International Film Festival introduction of the film. The Desert Sun's Film Festival January 17th supplement noted:

Brad Pitt has already bought the rights for a remake of the first "Infermal Affairs" for Warner Bros.

Miramax is releasing the original sometime in August.

Jackskeleton 03-01-04 02:24 PM

Jesus. why not just pick it up and distribute it the with some respect then let mirmax handle it or even risk remaking it. -rolleyes- sad world.

DonnachaOne 03-11-04 02:02 PM

You're making it sound like the film's being remade by hacks. This is MARTIN SCORSESE, not some just-out-of-school nut.

I wish MORE films were lucky enough to be remade by those with respect and talent.

flashburn 03-11-04 02:19 PM

Sounds like the right way to remake a film. It seems studios love to remake recent foreign films, and I would rather have a very succesful director do one, than a two-bit hack.

ArchibaldTuttle 03-11-04 05:00 PM

have any of you even seen the original?

Damfino 03-11-04 05:33 PM

Originally posted by ArchibaldTuttle
I have. (thanks to an imported DVD). I liked the movie a lot. It's more of a suspense thriller than an action movie.

Brief synopsis - The movie has two plot lines: one involving a cop working deep undercover with the triads and the other involving a gangster who goes to the police academy to infiltrate law enforcement. Both characters fear being caught and deal with incredible stress as a result.

I usually shun remakes but Martin Scorcese is one of my favorite directors so I'll go see it.

devilshalo 03-11-04 05:55 PM

Originally posted by DonnachaOne
You're making it sound like the film's being remade by hacks. This is MARTIN SCORSESE, not some just-out-of-school nut.

I wish MORE films were lucky enough to be remade by those with respect and talent.

I wish more people had original ideas. ;)

Damfino 03-11-04 06:02 PM

Originally posted by Giles
Miramax is releasing the original sometime in August.

Don't hold your breath. This is one of many Asian films that Miramaxe is sitting on (others include Hero and Shaolin Soccer). Even if it does get released count on it being cut and badly dubbed into English.

Trigger 03-11-04 06:13 PM

Booooooooooooo. *hissssssss*

The Zizz 03-12-04 01:39 AM

Why does Scorcese have such a hard-on for DiCaprio?

Trigger 03-12-04 01:44 AM

cuz he's dreamy... duh

candyrocket786 03-12-04 08:45 AM

Originally posted by Damfino
Even if it does get released count on it being cut and badly dubbed into English.
Don't forget about the addition of a hip-hop/rap soundtrack. ;)

DonnachaOne 03-12-04 11:15 AM

Originally posted by ArchibaldTuttle
Yes. I own it. Don't have 2 or 3 yet, though.

Originally posted by devilshalo
I wish more people had original ideas. ;)
I think my wish is a bit more realistic...

Originally posted by Numanoid
I take it this isn't the Richard Gere/Andy Garcia flick we're talking about.
Why would it be? That's Internal Affairs.

DVD Smurf 05-01-04 03:01 PM

great films...sad with a remake idea... :(

If Scorsese directs these will loose a little bit of respect for him on an artistic level...

RyoHazuki 05-01-04 03:04 PM

Its good they are working to legalizing gay marriage so Dicaprio and Scorsese can make it official.

Rivero 05-01-04 03:29 PM

The original was fantastic as it was, and I hear the sequel is kickass as well. I hate Hollywood.

Lastblade 05-01-04 11:42 PM

I have seen Infernal Affairs recently, and it is a very good movie. I am going to see part 3 (not sure what is part 2, but part 3 has Tony Leung and Andy Lau). I don't know why they need to remake it, I mean, this came out what 2 years ago?

Dr. DVD 01-26-05 06:10 PM

Apparently the remake will be set in the prohibition era of America and is about cops infiltrating gangs and vice versa.

Okay, I don't know when this movie is set to come out, but I will make the call right now that if Marty fails to get the Oscar again this year, it won't get released until around December of the year they decide to put it in theaters. I remember when GONY got bumped from December of 01 to March of 02, I thought they were honest. When it got bumped to the Summer I thought "this movie will be delayed for a year for Oscar potential. It came to pass. I remember when I read about The Aviator starting production and being wrapped for the most part in February of 04 I thinking they were going to wait close to a year to release it in December. They did it then as well. Just thought I would try to use my psychic abilities again. ;)

darqleo 01-26-05 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by The Zizz
Why does Scorcese have such a hard-on for DiCaprio?

Yeah no kidding, I'm missing out on Scorcese's latest movies because I don't want to see that guy.

Dr. DVD 01-26-05 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by darqleo
Yeah no kidding, I'm missing out on Scorcese's latest movies because I don't want to see that guy.

FWIW, this is probably the only movie I have ever seen Leo in where he was actually quite good in his part and didn't ruin the movie.

clemente 01-27-05 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
FWIW, this is probably the only movie I have ever seen Leo in where he was actually quite good in his part and didn't ruin the movie.

Cause Scorcese's never become enamored of an actor before and cast him in everything....

Dr. DVD 01-27-05 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by clemente
Cause Scorcese's never become enamored of an actor before and cast him in everything....

Uh...Robert De Niro? He's been in about seven Scorsese pics whereas Leo has only been in two, with a possibility of three.

Buttmunker 01-28-05 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Uh...Robert De Niro? He's been in about seven Scorsese pics whereas Leo has only been in two, with a possibility of three.

He was being sarcastic.

peon73 01-28-05 08:58 AM

scorsese's remake of cape fear wasn't as good as the original. and i'd rather have brad pitt and his pals remake it.