DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Dumb & Dumber (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/407580-dumb-dumber.html)

duff beer 01-30-05 10:12 PM

Dumb & Dumber

Can you believe the unbelievable comedic chemistry between Jim Carrey and Jeff Daniels in this movie? I can watch this movie so many times and have caught it on cable and tape each time never getting tired of this movie. It has so many great lines and jokes that i laugh at another joke that i may haven't caught before like the hit-man gets the paper from the door that says "Dear Gas man, no money, off to Aspen!" and he says "how did they know i had gas?".

Not to mention the hilarious conversations they have.

Harry: Nice set of hooters you got there.
Mary: Beg your pardon?
Harry: The owls, they're beautiful!
Mary: Oh... are you into birds?
Harry: Yeah but more into dogs
Mary: Oh how so?
Harry: Oh i train them, feed them, breed them.
Mary: Any unusual breedings?
Harry: No, mostly just regular style.

Harry: I expected the Rocky Mountains to be a little rockier than this.
Lloyd: Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. That John Denver is full of shit man.

smirnoff 01-30-05 10:16 PM

I hate seeing this movie on cable, because they cut out all the best jokes. Like when he lights his fart on fire.

necros 01-30-05 10:36 PM

As far as I'm concerned this is the 2nd best comedy of all time, the first being Pee Wee's Big Adventure. D&D is just perfect though. I'd love to post some of my facorite parts, but I don't want to type for an hour :) I never saw the "prequel", and even though I heard it's bad I still wouldn't mind seeing it on HBO or whatever. I like all of the Farelly Bros movies though, even the "bad" ones... I just saw stuck on you the other night and really enjoyed it, even though plenty of people I know hated it... I just like their style I guess.

"I'm talking about a little place called Asssspen..."

"I dunno loyd, the french are assholes."

Rypro 525 01-30-05 10:38 PM

"hey we mated a bull dog and a shitzu together. we called it a bull shit"
"

duff beer 01-30-05 11:36 PM

Oh this is one of the greatest conversations when they're sipping a bear in a jacuzzi in a motel..

Harry: I don't know, Lloyd, these places just don't do it for me. Brings back too many memories.
Lloyd: What happened, Harry? Some little filly break your heart?
Harry: Nah, it was a girl. Fraida Felcher. We stayed at a place like this once –the No-Tell Motel out on Route 31.
Lloyd: Felcher? You mean the babe who worked for the tractor company?
Harry: The same. We had this incredibly romantic time. Boy, I thought we'd be together forever. Then about a week later, right out of the blue, she sends me a John Deere letter.
Lloyd: That's cold, Harry. Give you any reason?
Larry: I called her up and she gave me some crap about me not listening to her enough or something like that. I wasn't really paying attention.
Harry: Thing that really hurts is I think she was seeing another guy. Never did find out who.
(Lloyd's eyes look away slowly...)

cleaver 01-31-05 09:12 AM

Lloyd Christmas: What are the chances of a guy like you and a girl like me... ending up together?
Mary Swanson: Not good.
Lloyd Christmas: Not good like one in a hundred?
Mary Swanson: I'd say more like one in a million.
Lloyd Christmas: So you're telling me there's a chance?

I use that quote at least twice a week.

josepotato 01-31-05 09:39 AM

If only they could have got Jim Carrey and Jeff Daniels to do D&Derer, would have been funny to see them playing highschool age guys.

matome 01-31-05 09:47 AM

Even though I've seen this probably 20 times, I still laugh out loud at all the jokes. Carrey & Daniels delivery is just so perfect. I usually don't bother with extras, but this is one of the few movies and love to see super-duper SE of.

"Just when I thought you couldn't get any dumber, you go and do something like this... and totally redeem yourself!"

"How's your burger?"

Obey The D 01-31-05 10:02 AM

"We got no food, no jobs...........OUR PETS HEADS ARE FALLING OFF!!"

treszoks 01-31-05 10:20 AM

Harry: I can't believe we drove around all day, and there's not a single job in this town. There is nothing, nada, zip!
Lloyd Christmas: Yeah! Unless you wanna work fourty hours a week.

dvdnation 01-31-05 11:20 AM

Lloyd: Hey!, I guess they're right. Senior Citizens, although slow and dangerous behind the wheel, can still serve a purpose.

Lloyd: I got robbed by a sweet old lady on a motorized cart... And I didn't even see it coming

Harry (Jeff Daniels): So, you got fired again huh?
Lloyd: Oh yeah!, they always freak out when you leave the scene of an accident.

Harry: My parakeet Peetie, he's dead.
Lloyd: Oh... oh man, I'm sorry, what happened?
Harry: His head fell off!
Lloyd: HIS HEAD FELL OFF!
Harry: Yeah, he was pretty old.

Harry: We had the most increadibly romantic time together. I thought we were gonna be together forever. And then...huh...oh boy...huh... about a week later, right out of the blue, she sends me a John Deer letter.

Detective Dale (Felton Perry): Did you get a make on the vehicle.
Dale's man (Lawrence Kopp): Ah, yes sir, They're driving an 84... sheepdog.

Harry: Holy Jesus, look at the butt on that.
Lloyd: Yeah, he must work out.

fryinpan1 01-31-05 11:29 AM

This is my favorite Jim Carrey movie and one of my favorite comedies.

Fok 01-31-05 12:05 PM

Too bad the sequels were a let down

BassDude 01-31-05 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by matome

"How's your burger?"

Whenever my son's and I make/order burgers, this line ALWAYS comes up.

Whenever it's a bit cold, one of us will shiver and say "Got a little nippy going through the mountains." In a quiet moment in the car, someone will make "the most annoying sound in the world" And of course, whoever gets the front passenger seat will sometimes "run at an incredible rate of speed."

Love it. Fletch used ta be my most quoted movie, but this one may have overtaken it.

costanza 01-31-05 01:21 PM

i've seen this movie more times than i'd like to say. i know every word. the quoting in here is shady at best.

you just tell me where to sign bud
right on my ass after you kiss it! both cheeks, both lips, mmmm mmmm mmmm!

TruGator 01-31-05 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by treszoks
Harry: I can't believe we drove around all day, and there's not a single job in this town. There is nothing, nada, zip!
Lloyd Christmas: Yeah! Unless you wanna work fourty hours a week.

:lol: That one is great.

Rypro 525 01-31-05 03:13 PM

Lloyd: Mary, I despreatly want to make love to a school boy

fryinpan1 01-31-05 03:20 PM

matome beat me to this one, but I still love it:
[after Lloyd trades the van in for a moped]
Harry Dunne: Just when I thought you couldn't get any dumber, you go and do something like this... and totally redeem yourself!

Shap 01-31-05 03:44 PM

"Just go, man. ... Boy, that sure is warm!"

matome 01-31-05 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by BassDude
Whenever my son's and I make/order burgers, this line ALWAYS comes up.

While the line itself may not be funny per se, the way that Harry looks at Lloyd while he says it and then turns away real quick, snickering, just cracks me up every time. :lol: just thinking about it now. Oh crap, reading all these lines makes me want to watch it tonight very badly

costanza 01-31-05 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by Shap
"Just go, man. ... Boy, that sure is warm!"

i think in the theater there were a couple more words to this. just go man, we're not stopping or something like that.

Rival11 01-31-05 06:10 PM

"WE LANDED ON THE MOON!!!!!" - Great movie.

ToddSm66 01-31-05 06:15 PM

I always lose it on the scene where Lloyd first sees Harry leaving Mary's house and he starts doing that dry heave thing.

Samuel 01-31-05 08:51 PM

"Tic tac sir?"

"Just give me the damn number!"

I love when Harry freaks out on Mary and starts throwing snow at her. The moment when he comes to his senses is classic.

gmal2003 02-01-05 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by Samuel
I love when Harry freaks out on Mary and starts throwing snow at her. The moment when he comes to his senses is classic.

Thats my favorite scene. That was only time Ive actually fell on the nasty theater floor laughing. Funniest movie ever.