Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Cinderella Man

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-05, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cinderella Man

Did a search and this movie didn't have its own thread. After viewing the trailer, I think it looks pretty good. The trailer is kinda cheesy but I think the movie will be pretty good. Russell Crowe looks totally different, I guess he must have lost weight or something. Link to the trailer is below.

http://www.apple.com/trailers/universal/cinderella_man/
Old 01-26-05, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think it looks very good but I really hate Russel Crowe.
Old 01-27-05, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I thought the trailer was atrocious to the point of being insulting. Made the film look like hammy, sappy, predictable, pandering pap that talks down instead of speaking to an audience.

I really hope that the film is nothing like that horrendous trailer.
Old 01-27-05, 01:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I really liked the trailer, but then again I really love Alan Silvestri's score to Cast Away which was definitely featured in the trailer.

I'm looking forward to this, it's been quite a while since Crowe's last film Master & Commander came out.
Old 01-27-05, 08:52 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
I haven't heard any buzz on this movie, but think it'll be pretty solid.
Old 01-27-05, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts
[QUOTE=DonnachaOne]I thought the trailer was atrocious to the point of being insulting. Made the film look like hammy, sappy, predictable, pandering pap that talks down instead of speaking to an audience.[QUOTE]

Maybe even "A Film By Ron Howard"?
Old 01-27-05, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Seen the trailer, didn't really like what I saw.
Old 01-27-05, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Being a boxing fan as well as a student of it's history, it's a must see for me. The heavyweight contender ranks in his era was full of great names. I think Crowe is a good choice to pull off this role, he's gritty and old enough......Braddock was a journeyman so the last thing I'd want to see in this movie would be one of the pretty actors of today.
Old 01-28-05, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,259 Likes on 837 Posts
Originally Posted by nightmaster
The heavyweight contender ranks in his era was full of great names.
Except that the better boxers were mostly black and were not "allowed" to fight in championship boughts. It took quite a bit of doing for Joe Louis to even get a shot, mostly because of his race and partly because of the legacy of Jack Johnson.

Last edited by eXcentris; 01-28-05 at 12:12 AM.
Old 01-28-05, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by eXcentris
Except that the better boxers were mostly black and were not "allowed" to fight in championship boughts. It took quite a bit of doing for Joe Louis to even get a shot, mostly because of his race and partly because of the legacy of Jack Johnson.
Not to take away anything from the black fighters of the day, but there were good white fighters during the period as well. Jack Sharkey, Max Schmeling, Primo Carnera, Gene Tunney, and Joe Louis did get the title shot from Braddock.
Old 01-28-05, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 101 Posts
Not to take away anything from the black fighters of the day, but there were good white fighters during the period as well. Jack Sharkey, Max Schmeling, Primo Carnera, Gene Tunney, and Joe Louis did get the title shot from Braddock.
Take Carnera out of there and you've got a good list. Carnera (Who appears in the movie) was a mob-made fighter who fought paid-off opposition. The only decent fighter he ever beat was Tommy Loughran (A light heavyweight)
Max Baer (Who Braddock won the title from) had the potential to be the best white heavyweight of the era, but didn't take boxing seriously. In fact, I'll be very surprised if Cinderella Man shows the Baer/Braddock fight the way it REALLY was.
Spoiler:
What happened was that Bear didn't come to fight and spent most of the title match clowning around for most of the rounds. Knowing boxing movies, audiences would rather see "The little guy that could" knocking out the champ to win the title. Which is what didn't happen.
Old 01-28-05, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DonnachaOne
I thought the trailer was atrocious to the point of being insulting. Made the film look like hammy, sappy, predictable, pandering pap that talks down instead of speaking to an audience.
These were pretty much my exact thoughts when I saw the trailer at the movies. This also pretty much describes what I think of Ron Howard, IMO after Oliver Stone the second worste & most overrated director in hollywood. There is just no imagination in anything he does. It's a shame b/c I love Crowe, one of my favorite actors, but the trailer just made me laugh at how attrocious, cliche & trite this film looks. Just gratuitiously trying to be sappy.
Old 01-29-05, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Sessa17
These were pretty much my exact thoughts when I saw the trailer at the movies. This also pretty much describes what I think of Ron Howard, IMO after Oliver Stone the second worste & most overrated director in hollywood. There is just no imagination in anything he does. It's a shame b/c I love Crowe, one of my favorite actors, but the trailer just made me laugh at how attrocious, cliche & trite this film looks. Just gratuitiously trying to be sappy.
As for the ambience the trailer gives, it reminds me of Seabiscuit- that was a movie that had its share of sap but was a great film just the same. Is it simply becoming chic to bash all current day well known directors on this forum?
Old 01-29-05, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

As for the ambience the trailer gives, it reminds me of Seabiscuit- that was a movie that had its share of sap but was a great film just the same. Is it simply becoming chic to bash all current day well known directors on this forum?
Well, let's be fair, Ron Howard and Oliver Stone have always had their detractors.

I don't mind Stone much myself, I find he can be creative despite some failures here and there.

But I find Howard's movies to be, at best, bland, and at worst, The Grinch. He gets bashed because some of us don't really care for his movies. I can't think of one Howard movie that I have any desire to see a second time. And in the case of The Grinch, it was perhaps one of the worst films I've ever seen. I had to take a shower after watching that.
Old 01-29-05, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

As for the ambience the trailer gives, it reminds me of Seabiscuit- that was a movie that had its share of sap but was a great film just the same.
Then I suppose it's a case-by-case thing, I suppose. Seabiscuit was well-shot, well-acted and nearly perfectly made... just the story itself was so syrupy and predicatble. I wasn't fond of the film, all in all.
Is it simply becoming chic to bash all current day well known directors on this forum?
No, it's ALWAYS been chic to bash all current day well known directors on this forum!

I do agree that Sessa is being too hard on Howard (and especially Stone), however. Howard is a talented filmmaker, and has proved that many times... too bad that, when it comes to crimes of schmaltz and sentimental pandering, he's a repeat offender.
Old 03-25-05, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

New Trailer
Old 03-26-05, 01:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This film loooks good, but it's screaming to be wanting an Oscar.
Old 03-26-05, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Is it simply becoming chic to bash all current day well known directors on this forum?
I don't know what the "chic" thing is, I can at least give my reasons why I think he is so overrated & such a boring director & most don't agree with me so I'm definitely not doing it to be chic. It has nothing to do with him being well known, I love Tarantino & still think Spielberg is brilliant, two of the most trendy directors there are to bitch about, especially around here.
Old 03-26-05, 08:20 PM

Well, here comes another unpopular opinion from yours truly I like Ron Howard, and Russell Crowe is my favorite actor, and because of that fact I will watch the movie. The trailer reminded me of Seabiscuit as well, which could actually be a good thing for the movie. I'm not crazy about boxing or depression-era stories, but because of the talent involved and the tone of the trailer I hope to like the movie. I didn't feel that the trailer talked down to the audience....where do you get that idea?
Old 03-26-05, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by jetflair
Well, here comes another unpopular opinion from yours truly I like Ron Howard, and Russell Crowe is my favorite actor, and because of that fact I will watch the movie.
That is not an unpopular opinion. Everyone seems to like Howard but me. And Crowe is my favorite working mainstream actor.
Old 03-26-05, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts
Did Crowe drop some weight for this role? His face looks a lot thinner...

I'm also a Howard/Crowe fan, so sign me up for this. I just hope Zelwegger isn't too annoying...
Old 03-26-05, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
when it comes to crimes of schmaltz and sentimental pandering, he's a repeat offender.
Spielberg is a far bigger offender in this area than Howard.
Old 03-28-05, 05:26 PM

Question...what is the song used for trailer #2
http://www.movie-list.com/trailers.php?id=cinderellaman

Thanks
Old 05-24-05, 04:57 PM

I saw this movie Sunday night and immediatly afterwards there was a Q and A with Russell Crowe, Ron Howard, Renee Zellweger.

First, the movie. I would have to say I really enjoyed this movie. If you know the history of Jim Braddock, then of course you know the movie and it will be predictable. Actually, if you don't know the story, it's still somewhat predictable. The film has something for everyone. The boxing scenes were some of the best I have seen. I think the fight scenes in fact were a little much for the women watching the blood and just some of the abuse these fighters took. You almost felt the pain of these fighters. Then there is the love story and a man down on his luck trying to get by. The emotion to this movie was amazing. It was one of those feel good movies. I walked out of there with so much respect for this fighter. This is definitely something you never see today. The era was also shown in much detail. Just to see how Jim Braddock got by in the depression was actually hard to watch at times since it really just tore your heart out. I'm just glad I didn't have to live through that time. All and all, it was a great movie that will have some Oscar buzz around it.

I saw a comment earlier that it looked like Crowe lost some weight for this part. During the Q and A, he said he dropped his weight down to about 173. Didn't say what he came down from. He said the reason for the weight loss was to give him the appearance of being taller since Jim Braddock was about 6 inches taller than him.

A funny thing that came up is Russell approached Ron Howard about directing this movie while filming A Beautiful Mind. Ron turned it down saying he wasn't interested on working on a boxing film since there has been so many. About 7 months later, Ron called Russell and asked if it was still available. Ron explained when his dad was 7 years old, the family got into a truck and drove 16 miles to a hall to listen to a fight on the radio. It was the first fight his dad ever heard. They went to listen to this man that everyone looked at as the people's fighter. Of course, this was the Championship fight of Jim Braddock. That story was what got Ron interested in doing this film.
Old 05-25-05, 07:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DonnachaOne

I really hope that the film is nothing like that horrendous trailer.
Typical Ron Howard stuff...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.