Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

What the hell was I thinking? (movies you thought you liked)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-18, 10:01 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 906 Likes on 766 Posts

So, you saw a movie long ago, maybe in the theater, thought you liked it, forgot most, then saw it again and wondered what’s the hell was I thinking?

I’m watching Passenger 57 on Blu-ray. Thought I liked it when I saw it way back when, but holy god is this a terrible movie. Terrible acting, scenario, a top wanted world criminal on a passenger plane? “Always bet on black” he says and less than 84 minutes. Yes, 84. Now I would scoff at a movie at 84 minutes, unless DC animated or something. And I liked it? Eh, it’s still cheesy 90’s Snipes. When he did some good things. But I would not watch a movie like this now, much less pay for it. But alas...

Do you have movies you bought or saw again streaming or something much later on and wondered, did I really like this movie?

Last edited by OldBoy; 09-07-18 at 10:23 PM.
Old 09-07-18, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
Re: What the hell was I thinking? (movies you thought you liked)

I remember excitedly buying Remo Williams: The Adventure Begins on DVD when it got a proper widescreen release since I really liked it over 30 years ago. Now it seems like a failed TV pilot from the 80s.
Old 09-07-18, 10:26 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 906 Likes on 766 Posts

Originally Posted by rennervision
I remember excitedly buying Remo Williams: The Adventure Begins on DVD when it got a proper widescreen release since I really liked it over 30 years ago. Now it seems like a failed TV pilot from the 80s.
Aw, man. Don’t say that. I just got that, but I think I’ve see it again and I still enjoy some Fred Ward.
Old 09-07-18, 10:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As a Kid i used to watch the Ernest movies, loved them. I got them recently and holy crap their terrible to me now.
The following users liked this post:
IBJoel (04-24-23)
Old 09-07-18, 10:53 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts

Ghostbusters 2 - I loved it more than the first as a kid. Thought it was amazing. Watched it a couple years back now and... ugh. It's trash. The only thing it has going for it is the Janosz character, who is way funnier than he deserves to be, especially next to the rest of the cast.

Pacific Rim - saw it opening weekend and thought it was great. Listened to the soundtrack for weeks on end. Bought the Blu-ray ASAP and I might have watched it once or twice... But I watched it a few weeks ago to prep for PR2, and... It was so bad. So very very bad. I didn't even bother watching PR2 after that.
Old 09-07-18, 11:04 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 583 Likes on 335 Posts

Star Fighter (80s movie). I saw it in the theater when it opened and thought it was the best movie ever. That opinion didn't even last that summer.
Old 09-07-18, 11:43 PM

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

Probably every movie I saw until I was ~15 years old should be re-evaluated.
Old 09-07-18, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,196 Likes on 2,063 Posts

I remember laughing hysterically at Burn After Reading when I saw it in the theater. Several years later I bought it on Blu-ray and was excited to share such a funny movie with my wife. After it was over I felt like apologizing to her for introducing her to such a cringe worthy movie.
Old 09-07-18, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,196 Likes on 2,063 Posts

Originally Posted by JackoOnHisBacko
Probably every movie I saw until I was ~15 years old should be re-evaluated.
Every time I think I’m sophisticated enough to watch films with a critical eye I remind myself that Weekend at Bernie’s was once my favorite movie...
Old 09-08-18, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

The biggest discrepancy would be Attack of the Clones. I was a teenager when I saw it. I thought it was pretty good. I rewatched it a couple years ago, and it's one of the worst movies I've ever seen.

Not a movie but a tv show. I LOVED Saved By The Bell as a kid. I recently rewatched some episodes for the first time in years and found it unwatchable.
Old 09-08-18, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan
Pacific Rim - saw it opening weekend and thought it was great. Listened to the soundtrack for weeks on end. Bought the Blu-ray ASAP and I might have watched it once or twice... But I watched it a few weeks ago to prep for PR2, and... It was so bad. So very very bad. I didn't even bother watching PR2 after that.
Guillermo Del Toro kinda sucks as a director.
Old 09-08-18, 12:13 AM

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Bandoman
Star Fighter (80s movie). I saw it in the theater when it opened and thought it was the best movie ever. That opinion didn't even last that summer.
Do you maybe mean "The Last Starfighter"?
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0087597/?ref_=fn_al_tt_3

My high school "allowed us" to watch that giant turd in a double-feature along with the "Apple Dumpling Gang Rides Again" (https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0078790/?ref_=nv_sr_2) as a "special treat" to us in our senior year in 1989. I would rather watch paint dry, or have a gunman enter the theater and start shooting. Seriously, just let me go to study hall and sleep for 3 hours.
Old 09-08-18, 01:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan
Ghostbusters 2 - I loved it more than the first as a kid. Thought it was amazing. Watched it a couple years back now and... ugh. It's trash. The only thing it has going for it is the Janosz character, who is way funnier than he deserves to be, especially next to the rest of the cast.

Aww man, I like Pacific Rim. Watch PR2 and you’ll realize how good the first one is.
Old 09-08-18, 04:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts

Daylight with Sylvester Stallone.

When I originally seen it at the theater over 20 years ago I was on medical leave from work.

Maybe because I had stopped working made it a more enjoyable experience watching the movie.

Then years later I thought that the movie wasn't that great.
Old 09-08-18, 05:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 954 Likes on 662 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
Aww man, I like Pacific Rim. Watch PR2 and you’ll realize how good the first one is.

I like both of them. I never thought the first one was anything to really gaga over like people were doing. I thought it was fun and entertaining and I still do. Same with the second one. It is what it is, giant robots beating up aliens.
Old 09-08-18, 05:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 954 Likes on 662 Posts

Originally Posted by Hazel Motes
The biggest discrepancy would be Attack of the Clones. I was a teenager when I saw it. I thought it was pretty good. I rewatched it a couple years ago, and it's one of the worst movies I've ever seen.

Not a movie but a tv show. I LOVED Saved By The Bell as a kid. I recently rewatched some episodes for the first time in years and found it unwatchable.
Yeah probably the Star Wars prequels for me too. Now I've come to terms with the fact that they are terrible movies that I still like to a degree.

Saved by the Bell still works for me. Pure nostalgia for simpler days.
Old 09-08-18, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pretty much any 1980s fantasy family movie I liked as a kid. Short Circuit, Flight of the Navigator, The Neverending Story. Labyrinth still holds up, though.
Old 09-08-18, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,460 Likes on 929 Posts

I remembered The Snapper as wry and funny. I bought the DVD and showed it to Mrs Danger. It wasn't funny.

Spidermdg persuaded me to watch Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band with her, because the Aerosmith performance had once made her adolescent heart go pitty pat. She was embarrassed. It was so bad.
Old 09-08-18, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

I remember seeing Spawn in the theatre and being blown away.
Then I watched it on bluray in one of those combo packs a year or two ago - wow it did not really hold up. It still had a bit of B movie over the top charm but the effects reminded me of 80's metal videos. (which i still watch as well, thanks to Metal Mayhem, and yeah, most of them don't hold up either.)
Old 09-08-18, 09:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I remember seeing "Up In Smoke" back when it was first released, and laughing till my sides hurt. It was just on HBO or something the other month. I watched about 30 minutes, and had to turn it off. Some films just don't make the jump from juvenile to adult humor, and this film is a perfect example.

And just to back that augment up, I also saw "Airplane!" when it was first released, and thought it was hysterical. Today, I still feel that same way.
Old 09-08-18, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 846 Likes on 591 Posts

I was a teenager in the 80's.
Those two variables combined means a shit-ton of movies I liked/loved back then, I wound up hating and being embarrassed about as I got older.

Way too many movies to list. Basically most comedies and especially actions films of the 80's fall under this scenario.
Old 09-08-18, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
I remember laughing hysterically at Burn After Reading when I saw it in the theater. Several years later I bought it on Blu-ray and was excited to share such a funny movie with my wife. After it was over I felt like apologizing to her for introducing her to such a cringe worthy movie.
I find that happens with comedies though. You can watch it once and be bored, watch it again and find it cringe worthy, watch it again and find it hilarious. I find it to be a mix of the mood your in and people you're with.

A lot of my favorite movies from 15 - 20 years ago are still my favorite movies, so I guess I haven't learned much in that time (Beetlejuice being my all time favorite. Followed by Mulholland Drive, Dark City, Requiem for a Dream, Black Hawk Down, and Fight Club). Dark City's ending bothers me more than ever, but I still love the rhythm and atmosphere that comes with the rest of that movie. I didn't watch a ton of movies while I was growing up as I never had any money, or fast internet, or parents that liked movies, or HBO.

I also still like the goofy early 90s movie adaptations of 60s TV shows, like The Addams Family and Brady Bunch movies. I wouldn't tell somebody else to watch them, but they work for me alone.

Last edited by RichC2; 09-08-18 at 11:58 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Spiderbite (04-25-23)
Old 09-08-18, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 91 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Hazel Motes
Yeah, I had convinced myself that it was really good except for the scenes with Anakin and Padme. Wrong, and besides that, the Anakin-Padme scenes make up a big chunk of the film.

I can still find a few things to enjoy, but to me it's by far the worst Star Wars film.
Old 09-08-18, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,154 Likes on 901 Posts

Batman Returns- as a kid and teenager I loved it. Now though it’s got some cool parts but overall I don’t care for it.

Batman Forever- I defended this one for a long time. The last couple times I’ve watched it though it’s pretty bad. Some aspects of it I do like but I really dislike Kilmer as both Bruce and Batman.

Star Wars: The Last Jedi- I’ve given enough thoughts on it in the reviews thread. Overall I chalk up liking it the first time I saw it to hype and wanting it to be good.

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull- much like The Last Jedi I think I was hyped about seeing it but after rewatching it a few times it’s definitely not very good.

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
Seems like a lot of people don’t like this one. I liked it a lot when I saw it in the theater but haven’t watched it in a long time despite owning it on Blu-ray (and DVD before that). Might have to revisit it.

Last edited by Mike86; 09-08-18 at 11:35 AM.
Old 09-08-18, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 977 Likes on 688 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
less than 84 minutes. Yes, 84. Now I would scoff at a movie at 84 minutes, unless DC animated or something.
But at least its rated R, right?

I watched Passenger 57 a couple of months ago and the 84 minute run time was one of its best features (along with evil Elizabeth Hurley). How could an extra 15 or 20 minutes possibly help make Passenger 57 any better? Hollywood has completely forgotten how to make short movies. Not everything needs to be a 2.5 hour epic.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.