Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Lost movies of the 1980's- the HBO years

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Lost movies of the 1980's- the HBO years

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-14, 02:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Lost movies of the 1980's- the HBO years

A few I remember from this time that haven't already shown up:

The Hollywood Knights
Murder by Death
Zorro, The Gay Blade
Battle Beyond the Stars
Flash Gordon
Circle of Iron

I also recall some shorts they used to fill the gaps between movies.
I always loved the one about the making of the HBO opening sequence. Sincerely, it's probably responsible for why I make stuff for movies now.
My favorite was animated, set to Kraftwerk's 'Autobahn', and featured a slim character running over floating disks in space. I've since found it on youtube, but I had plenty to go on with that one.

I have two films I'm trying to figure out from early HBO.

1: A young retarded man (late teens-early 20s) lives in a low rent apartment building with at least one family member who cares for him. The only scene I remember is a neighbor, a woman in her 20s or 30s coming over while the family member is away and she and the young man jump on the bed together. I recall subtext that suggested this was more inappropriate than just the jumping on the bed being wrong, but I was pretty young and most of it went over my head.

2: I know this is about as generic a description of an action movie as it gets, buff guy gets a new mission and has to round up his buddies. The 1st 1/2hr of the film is him visiting each guy who's conventiently displaying his specialty (martial arts, explosives or whatever) as the guy arrives. I think one of them was a biker, but all colorful characters. Sadly, I don't remember what happens after he rounds them all up. My biggest clue IS that its a low budget indie that aired on HBO in the late 70s/early 80s and that it's NOT any of the mainstream series of the time (Death Wish, Missing in Action, etc) and does not star any big names. Think the production value and cast level of something like Circle of Iron.

Just glad to offer a challenge that doesn't revolve around boobs, lol.
Old 10-12-14, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2019 TOTY Winner

Received 160 Likes on 122 Posts
Beverly Hills Bodysnatchers
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0096917
It certainly was a mess of a film but cheesy as hell
Munchies- a cheap Gremlins knockoff
Not a movie but I was obsessed with Fraggle Rock
An animated version of Jack and The Beanstalk - saw it back in 1985 might have been on Showtime
Old 10-12-14, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Peloquin
I know this is about as generic a description of an action movie as it gets, buff guy gets a new mission and has to round up his buddies. The 1st 1/2hr of the film is him visiting each guy who's conventiently displaying his specialty (martial arts, explosives or whatever) as the guy arrives. I think one of them was a biker, but all colorful characters. Sadly, I don't remember what happens after he rounds them all up. My biggest clue IS that its a low budget indie that aired on HBO in the late 70s/early 80s and that it's NOT any of the mainstream series of the time (Death Wish, Missing in Action, etc) and does not star any big names. Think the production value and cast level of something like Circle of Iron.
This sounds awesome.
Old 10-14-14, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

1: A young retarded man (late teens-early 20s) lives in a low rent apartment building with at least one family member who cares for him. The only scene I remember is a neighbor, a woman in her 20s or 30s coming over while the family member is away and she and the young man jump on the bed together. I recall subtext that suggested this was more inappropriate than just the jumping on the bed being wrong, but I was pretty young and most of it went over my head.
Sounds like Nunzio. Does the retarded guy pretend to be a superhero and wear a homemade cape? I've been hoping to see this one again to see if it was as good as I remembered. Apparently there were different versions of that scene, one for daytime showings and one for nighttime. The version I saw has the girl "take advantage of him" in a very disturbing scene. She goads him into having sex, then tells him what he did was a sin and he better not ever tell anybody or she will tell his mother and that makes him cry.
Old 10-20-14, 04:00 PM

Nunzio sounds right. All coming back to me. Thanks.
Old 10-21-14, 05:59 PM

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Nunzio sounds right. All coming back to me. Thanks.
Definitely Nunzio. Was a great movie. Not available in any form far as I can tell. I seem to remember it being on the table she takes advantage of him.
Old 10-21-14, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Anybody remember an animated short HBO used to show in between movies that was done in the style of Heavy Metal? It featured a Conan / Thundarr type character battling various enemies, but the whole thing took place inside a pinball machine? Beautiful animation and a lot of fun, can't find it online anywhere.

EDIT: Well shit, nevermind. After posting I thought I'd look one more time and I found it:

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/BNSnsccG0T4?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited by CharlieK; 10-21-14 at 07:02 PM.
Old 04-24-15, 08:53 PM

I have really enjoyed reading all the posts about the shows from HBO. I have 2 movies that I saw back in the late 70s and early 80s that I have not been able to track down because of my limited memories of each. But, perhaps some of you may recognize something in what I can remember and describe.

The first movie had a SCI-FI/punk kind of feel and I remember it as more of a musical than movie or built around the music. There was a female singer with short blonde hair and the only lyrics I remember were of one song (that seemed to parallel biblical verses from Genesis) was roughly "on the first day god said let there be light". I know this is not much to go on but it is all I remember.

The second movie was set in California and was about a couple guys who were sort of losers and hung around a bar. I remember one of the guys ended up trying out for the Sacramento Kings, Golden State Warriors or L.A. Clippers and actually made the team at the end and one of the two main characters was named Jerry or Gerry. I remember a recurring line in the movie being "hey, hey, hey, Jerrrry".

I know it's not much but.....
Old 04-25-15, 07:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,725 Likes on 1,881 Posts

Originally Posted by b9bill

The first movie had a SCI-FI/punk kind of feel and I remember it as more of a musical than movie or built around the music. There was a female singer with short blonde hair and the only lyrics I remember were of one song (that seemed to parallel biblical verses from Genesis) was roughly "on the first day god said let there be light".
Phantom of the Paradise? (Sort of a Rocky Horror Picture Show kind of deal that came out in 1974)

World Gone Wild? (Road Warrior knock-off featuring Adam Ant from the late 80s)
Old 04-25-15, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by b9bill
The first movie had a SCI-FI/punk kind of feel and I remember it as more of a musical than movie or built around the music. There was a female singer with short blonde hair and the only lyrics I remember were of one song (that seemed to parallel biblical verses from Genesis) was roughly "on the first day god said let there be light". I know this is not much to go on but it is all I remember.

The Apple?
Old 04-25-15, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

I know this is about as generic a description of an action movie as it gets, buff guy gets a new mission and has to round up his buddies. The 1st 1/2hr of the film is him visiting each guy who's conventiently displaying his specialty (martial arts, explosives or whatever) as the guy arrives. I think one of them was a biker, but all colorful characters. Sadly, I don't remember what happens after he rounds them all up. My biggest clue IS that its a low budget indie that aired on HBO in the late 70s/early 80s and that it's NOT any of the mainstream series of the time (Death Wish, Missing in Action, etc) and does not star any big names. Think the production value and cast level of something like Circle of Iron.

Sounds a bit like this but I could be wrong :

Old 04-25-15, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 234 Likes on 169 Posts

I remember seeing this on HBO. I thought it was a lot of fun. Joan Chen was pretty bad on acting.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/HsdI3UBRJrM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 04-25-15, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

This one always sticks out in my mind being shown late at night. And it has Bob Vance of Vance refrigeration.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/woF1gwRLUK4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I always for some reason remember this being on HBO way more than Highlander ever was.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/3U6oLx3xy8s" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 04-25-15, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by The Infidel
I'm glad someone made this thread, because there's a question about this very type of thing that's been bugging me for some time. I'll describe it the way I remember it, so I don't have to keep saying "I seem to remember this" or I seem to remember that."

Early, early HBO days...
made-for-HBO...
starred E.G. Daily...
movie was called "Josie", or something like that.

I've looked and looked for information about this all over the internet, and come up with nothing. I know I didn't just dream it, because I basically "fell in love" with E.G. Daily watching that, and everything I saw her in after that always reminded me of seeing that early movie.

Does anyone know what the hell I'm talking about? Do I know what the hell I'm talking about?
I posted about this 10 years ago, and it seems there's finally some very limited information about it on IMDb. Looks like it was her, and I'm not crazy after all! It doesn't seem to list it as an HBO feature, but I know that's where I saw it.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1630559/...m_flmg_act_160

EDIT: Found a little more info on Google Books, in a book titled Encyclopedia of Television Series, Pilots and Specials: 1974-1984

Last edited by The Infidel; 04-25-15 at 04:56 PM.
Old 04-25-15, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Ratboy? My sister couldn't get enough of that movie. I saw it once on a flight and wanted to walk out of the theater...
Old 04-25-15, 06:00 PM

Received 226 Likes on 165 Posts

I know this is about as generic a description of an action movie as it gets, buff guy gets a new mission and has to round up his buddies. The 1st 1/2hr of the film is him visiting each guy who's conveniently displaying his specialty (martial arts, explosives or whatever) as the guy arrives. I think one of them was a biker, but all colorful characters. Sadly, I don't remember what happens after he rounds them all up. My biggest clue IS that its a low budget indie that aired on HBO in the late 70s/early 80s and that it's NOT any of the mainstream series of the time (Death Wish, Missing in Action, etc) and does not star any big names. Think the production value and cast level of something like Circle of Iron.

I'm thinking that it's gotta be this one:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/jzDG8aXv1II" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 04-25-15, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts

Does anybody remember a short where there was a guy on a train and he sees Darth Vader(or maybe a storm trooper but pretty sure it was Vader) and all I remember was him being chased through the subway cars. Don't remember how it ended.
Old 07-26-19, 07:40 AM

Well, it's been a few years but I managed to identify the two movies I asked about. I wanted to come back and list them because after re-watching both I think they are worth the time.

The first movie I asked about ("SCI-FI/punk kind f feel...") is Breaking Glass. The trailer is available on Youtube and probably will be recognized by a few of you.

The second movie I asked about is Inside Moves.

Thanks for all the information and suggestions.

Have a great day!
Old 07-29-19, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts

Old 07-30-19, 04:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Beastmaster and Evilspeak (1981) still two stand-out to me... the latter watched again recently and still not so bad all in all.
Old 08-15-19, 10:29 AM

I have Super Fuzz. I used to love that movie as a kid. Had to get it on DVD.
Old 08-15-19, 11:09 AM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

A few I remember from this time that haven't already shown up:

2: I know this is about as generic a description of an action movie as it gets, buff guy gets a new mission and has to round up his buddies. The 1st 1/2hr of the film is him visiting each guy who's conventiently displaying his specialty (martial arts, explosives or whatever) as the guy arrives. I think one of them was a biker, but all colorful characters. Sadly, I don't remember what happens after he rounds them all up. My biggest clue IS that its a low budget indie that aired on HBO in the late 70s/early 80s and that it's NOT any of the mainstream series of the time (Death Wish, Missing in Action, etc) and does not star any big names. Think the production value and cast level of something like Circle of Iron.

This sounds like lowblow.

Old 08-15-19, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Another one that came to mind this morning is Coast to Coast, with Robert Blake and Dyan Cannon. Remember almost nothing about it these days, but I'm sure I saw it at least 5 or 6 times back then. The question is whether it is worth revisiting now or not. The fact that I remember so little about it can't be a good sign, though.
Old 10-27-19, 10:03 AM

I can't believe no one mentioned Gimme an F. I think I saw that movie 1,000x on HBO as an older kid.
I also watched Dream a Little Dream a lot.

I have two HBO 80s movies that I cannot remember titles to:

1) a romantic comedy type of movie. A girl is walking down he street... Guy sees girl from across the street and is attracted to her. The wind blows and her skirt flies up, revealing her pink panties. Her panties say "i love you' (or something along those lines) across the butt. The guy and girl do not get to meet at this point. For some reason, the girl decides to spike her hair and dress like a punk. She's getting chased. At some point she encounters the guy from the sidewalk scene but he doesn't recognize her because of how she is dressed. She's in trouble so he tries to help her. They fall in love. At some point they are going down a fire escape or a ladder or something. He starts down the ladder first and she follows. He looks up and can see up her skirt. He can see her pink panties which say Il Love You. He reads them out loud and she says something like "that's nice but now's not the time." Anyway, at the end of the movie her tells her that he fell in love with her twice in the same day.

*****edit**** never mind on the above movie. I found it!

2) Another romantic comedy(?) Not a serious movie, and not horror for sure. There's a young guy. I think he's going to a school dance. I believe he's dressed up. There'a girl who's supposed to be unattractive. She's wearing glasses, I believe her hair is up. She's plain looking. Anyway, somehow the two are forced into each other's company...like one was being chased and the other one got involved somehow. There's once scene I remember more clearly than the rest... the guy and girl are in a laundromat. For some reason their clothes were wet and they were waiting for them to dry. In the meantime, she's wearing a long tee shirt, her hair is down, and her glasses off. He realizes that she's kind of HOT. He says to her "you look like a girl." She says, "What were you expecting? a German Shepard?"

Last edited by babygap430; 10-27-19 at 12:32 PM.
Old 10-27-19, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,004 Likes on 624 Posts

Originally Posted by babygap430
1) a romantic comedy type of movie. A girl is walking down he street... Guy sees girl from across the street and is attracted to her. The wind blows and her skirt flies up, revealing her pink panties. Her panties say "i love you' (or something along those lines) across the butt. The guy and girl do not get to meet at this point. For some reason, the girl decides to spike her hair and dress like a punk. She's getting chased. At some point she encounters the guy from the sidewalk scene but he doesn't recognize her because of how she is dressed. She's in trouble so he tries to help her. They fall in love. At some point they are going down a fire escape or a ladder or something. He starts down the ladder first and she follows. He looks up and can see up her skirt. He can see her pink panties which say Il Love You. He reads them out loud and she says something like "that's nice but now's not the time." Anyway, at the end of the movie her tells her that he fell in love with her twice in the same day.
This is Breaking All the Rules. I posted about it earlier in this thread:

Originally Posted by Cellar Door
Anyone remember Breaking All The Rules?

The scene that I remember the most is the guy trying to put the pasty on the dancer's tit, but his aim is a little off!
And here is a trailer for it:

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.