Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Lost movies of the 1980's- the HBO years

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Lost movies of the 1980's- the HBO years

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-12, 07:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Lost movies of the 1980's- the HBO years

Originally Posted by bradleylloyd
When I was a kid, I remember watching an old hbo movie about an apartment full of senior citizens, terrorized by this teen. The one scene that stands out is the very end, where they start walking up the stairs, armed with baseball bats.
Anyone remember this one?
Actually sounds like Batteries not included, which aired a ton on HBO. But it could also be "Tenament" or Death Wish 4 (or maybe 3, I think the old people apartment is 4)
Old 12-19-12, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 12-19-12, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by DarthVong
John Ritter croaking still makes me feel like shit. It's not like I'm a huge fan or anything, but a dead Jack Tripper just seems like something the world doesn't deserve.
Old 12-19-12, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Strevlac
John Ritter croaking still makes me feel like shit. It's not like I'm a huge fan or anything, but a dead Jack Tripper just seems like something the world doesn't deserve.

On another note, anybody remember Wild Thing? I loved that movie. I haven't seen it since I was a kid and don't imagine its held up all that well.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0094325/
Old 12-19-12, 10:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Never heard of it but looks like Amazon Prime has it...
Dare I?
Old 12-19-12, 10:53 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

I watched part of Wild Thing several months back on one of the premium channels. Needless to say, it was pretty bad. Co-scripted by John Sayles and has some interesting casting.
Old 12-23-12, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts

Since its Christmas time, I remember always watching Emmett Otters Jugband Christmas and Freddie The Freeloaders Christmas Dinner on HBO. Its been years since I have seen either one on there.
Old 12-23-12, 05:56 PM

Still doesn't feel right that he's gone. Jack Tripper, what a character!

Loved his work in Stephen King's It as well.
Old 02-06-13, 08:48 PM

I hope someone else can help with this one because it has been driving me crazy for years!!!

I remember scenes from a movie which I believe was on HBO because we didn't have Showtime or Cinemax. I remember it being a typical teen movie. I think it was a night club or some hang out that was threatened to be demolished and they were trying to save it or something. I remember an older black man that lived in a trailer near the place and if they could get his trailer onto the property they could keep that hang out/building? I though it was Joe Seneca but looked him up on IMDb and don't see a movie like that in his credentials. I also remember the lead girl cutting off her hair towards the end of the movie? Like she cut it at an angle one side was longer than the other.

If there is anyone out there who can help me figure out this movie, I will be ever so grateful. It has driven me crazy for years. I look, the I get tired of searching, quit and forget about it, then a year or so later I'll remember and start the cycle all over again.
Old 02-07-13, 01:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 799 Likes on 567 Posts

I haven't seen it, but it looks like The Zoo Gang.
Old 02-07-13, 08:11 PM

The zoo gang

that's it!!!!!! That's it!!!! Thank you so much!!!!!!!!!!!! The search is over!
Old 02-07-13, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 799 Likes on 567 Posts

Great! You're welcome.
Old 02-08-13, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Anyone remember the short movie they used to air called "Tarka the Otter?" Don't know if that's the correct spelling, but I know that was the name and title.
Old 02-08-13, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Same here still feel sad every time i think bout it
Old 02-09-13, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 229 Likes on 166 Posts

Okay, this one is going WAY back to 1978: National Lampoon's Disco Beaver from Outer Space. That may be the very first thing that I saw on HBO, although I remember seeing Alice, Sweet Alice at around the same time. Others that I remember playing in heavy rotation were Donald Sutherland in Threshold and Diane Lane in Touched by Love.
Old 05-04-13, 02:27 AM

Hi all...just had to add some of the ones I remember when I was a kid. Forgive me if someone else has already mentioned them. Some of them may have been on Showtime as well.

If You Could See What I hear
Where The Lilies Bloom
Running Brave
One on One
Foolin' Around
Liar's Moon
The Big Blue
Crazy Moon
Cloak and Dagger
Teachers
Old 08-02-13, 02:02 AM

Don't think anyone mentioned these.
"Recorded Live" a short film where this guy goes for a job interview and is attacked by a bunch of tape. I can't post a link but its on youtube
"Welcome Home Jelly Bean" I'm pretty sure Audrey from European Vacation plays a girl with special needs.
More 90s but "A Body to Die For: The Aaron Henry Story " Ben Affleck does steroids and beats up his girlfriend
"Over The Edge" Matt Dillon is in it. Kids in this town cause problems some kid gets killed the parents have this big meeting at the school where the kids lock the doors on them and cause chaos and burn stuff.
A lot of these have been mentioned (some maybe not) but I'm trying to keep track myself
"Deadly Friend" - smart young kid builds a robot named bee bee and brings Kristy Swanson his neighbor back to life who essentially is part bee bee. Wes Craven directed.
"The Last Dragon" - Whose the Master? Sho NUF!
"The Heavenly Kid"
"Iron Eagle"
"Girls just want to have Fun"
"Howard the Duck"
"Silver Bullet" Corey Haim in a wheelchair battling a preacher werewolf with the help of his sister and Gary Busey as his uncle.
"Disorderlies" The Fat Boys as orderlies that dis
"Commando"
"The Principal"
"Labamba"
"Real Genius"
"Loverboy"
"Clash of the titans"
"Missing in Action III"

Positive these were mentioned but there so HBO and so 80s they deserve another
Moving Violations
Emmett Otter's Jug Band Xmas
Kid Co.
Bmx Bandits
Legend of Billie Jean
Cloak and Dagger
Red Dawn
Savanna Smiles (I think this was sad and I bought the dvd and it makes it look sadder but don't remember the sadness)
Fraggle Rock
Pee Wee's Playhouse
Beastmaster
Just One of the Guys
The Wraith
Roller Boogie
Monster Squad
Night of the Comet
Three O' Clock High
The Stuff
Remo Williams The Adventure Begins
Terry Fox Story
Super Fuzz
Twilight zone the movie
Swamp Thing
Big Trouble in Little China
Eddie and the Cruisers
Love at First Bite
White Water Summer
Gotcha

On a side note Glen Brogan did a print for the 1983 HBO Intro some people posted here again I can't post links yet but its at "Bottleneck Gallery" just type in HBO. Very nostalgic like this thread

This is a good thread. Keep them coming.

Last edited by mliddell; 08-02-13 at 02:15 AM.
Old 08-27-13, 12:48 AM

Hi gang. I have a doozy for you.

There was a movie on HBO in the mid-late 80's that was about a young man and a young woman. He was kind of quirky looking, she was a girl-next-door blonde, they lived in a big city (maybe NYC?), and he was a runner. The only scene I truly remember was the end: he was running a marathon to the tune of David Bowie's "Heroes". I remember it vividly because it was the first time I had heard that song, and while he was running, they would cut to the girl who was waking up from sleep, and she was beautiful and soft and everything I lusted after as a teenager in the 80's.

I have exhausted imdb and every other research method I can think of. I know this is the barest of clues, but please someone put me out of my misery.
Old 08-21-14, 04:38 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by Rawjohnfan

There was a movie on HBO in the mid-late 80's that was about a young man and a young woman. He was kind of quirky looking, she was a girl-next-door blonde, they lived in a big city (maybe NYC?), and he was a runner. The only scene I truly remember was the end: he was running a marathon to the tune of David Bowie's "Heroes". I remember it vividly because it was the first time I had heard that song, and while he was running, they would cut to the girl who was waking up from sleep, and she was beautiful and soft and everything I lusted after as a teenager in the 80's.

I have exhausted imdb and every other research method I can think of. I know this is the barest of clues, but please someone put me out of my misery.
Possibly Christiane F, or check this page
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000309/?...d_1#soundtrack
Old 08-22-14, 12:58 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Unless the young man was running to meet his heroin dealer, I seriously doubt that Christiane F. is the film Rawjohnfan was describing.
Old 08-22-14, 12:53 PM

Omg, I've been thinking about this movie recently and have been trying to find out the title. I remember it just as Rawjohnfan describes. The girl was sophisticated and the guy was very awkward - I remember it as a coming of age type movie. Has anyone been able to identify it? It is definitely NOT Christiane F.
Old 08-23-14, 01:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I remember seeing Val Kilmer in a remake of the movie "I Am A Fugitive From A Chain Gang" called "The Man Who Broke 1000 Chains"

I though it was pretty damn good back then but I've never seen it for sale or rent anywhere.

I am pretty sure it was HBO but could have been Showtime.
Old 08-23-14, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts

No idea...the song Heroes is not listed as being in any other movies if you look at the song history. Are you sure that is the song?

Originally Posted by kec99765
Omg, I've been thinking about this movie recently and have been trying to find out the title. I remember it just as Rawjohnfan describes. The girl was sophisticated and the guy was very awkward - I remember it as a coming of age type movie. Has anyone been able to identify it? It is definitely NOT Christiane F.

Old 08-23-14, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Ahem, gentlemen...[clears throat], but Rawjohnfan posted that in August 2013, a whole year ago. And it was his only post! I'm afraid he's long gone by now, folks...
Old 08-23-14, 10:56 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
Ahem, gentlemen...[clears throat], but Rawjohnfan posted that in August 2013, a whole year ago. And it was his only post! I'm afraid he's long gone by now, folks...
Hmmm. There must be a deleted post then, or a strange email notification, because I know I didn't bump a year old thread.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.