Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Question about The Pink Panther... Old and New...

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-05, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alright, i have never had any interest at all in these films... nor the new one coming out with Steve Martin... but i gotta ask...

What does the cartoon Pink Panther have to do with the movies? Does he ever appear in any of them ever? and if not, why is it called The Pink Panther?

Ha, thanks

-NiCK
Old 01-20-05, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The diamond in the first film, a huge rock, has a flaw; a pink streak in the center that, when held up at an angle, looks like a springing panther. It is known as "The Pink Panther".

The cartoon pink panther is there during the credits as Clouseau tries to get him. The rest of the film is live action, and is more of a David Niven caper flick than a Peter Sellers film.

The rest of the films just used the Pink Panther motif in the titles, but had unrelated stories. Same thing happened with the Powell/Loy Thin Man flicks.

The cartoon series has realy nought to do with the films, but hey, I'll take any reason to hear that Mancini music...
Old 01-20-05, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DonnachaOne
The cartoon pink panther is there during the credits as Clouseau tries to get him. The rest of the film is live action, and is more of a David Niven caper flick than a Peter Sellers film.
yup...the animated opening credits of the first film were so popular that it spawned a spinoff cartoon of sorts....
Old 01-20-05, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

ah, i see... thanks.

-NiCK
Old 01-20-05, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 724 Likes on 529 Posts
I'm still waiting for the Ant and the Ardvaark films.
Old 01-20-05, 04:30 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

It was fun watching those cartoons when I was recovering from a bermp to the head.
Old 01-21-05, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the minkey
Old 01-22-05, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Old 01-22-05, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by NiCK Crush
ah, i see... thanks.

-NiCK
Not trying to tell you what to watch or anything, but think about checking them out - they're pretty damn funny.
Old 01-22-05, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by devilshalo
I'm still waiting for the Ant and the Ardvaark films.
I would love to see it happen!!!
Old 01-22-05, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Cameron
the minkey
Ka-tOooo......where are you my yellow friend.....
Old 01-23-05, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by DonnachaOne
The diamond in the first film, a huge rock, has a flaw; a pink streak in the center that, when held up at an angle, looks like a springing panther. It is known as "The Pink Panther".

The rest of the films just used the Pink Panther motif in the titles, but had unrelated stories. Same thing happened with the Powell/Loy Thin Man flicks.

The cartoon series has realy nought to do with the films, but hey, I'll take any reason to hear that Mancini music...
Mostly true....the second Clouseau movie A Shot in the Dark had nothing to do with the "Pink Panther" gem and so had a different title. But the 3rd Clouseau movie "Return of the Pink Panther" did deal with the gem the "Pink Panther" being stolen again. It also included the character "Sir Charles Lytton" which had been played by Niven in the first film as the "starring" actor of the first film. In Return the character was played by Christopher Plummer. So being a true sequel to the first film the title made sense.

For the fourth and fifth (I'm not counting the ones after Sellers death) they kept using the "Pink Panther" in the title for marketing reasons I would guess. People new that a "Pink Panther" film was going to be a comedy with Sellers as Clouseau and that's all that mattered.

The Pink Panther cartoon character was created by Friz Freleng's company when Blake Edwards approached them to do the titles for the first Pink Panther movie. Freleng had been a Senior Director at Warner Brothers animation involved with all the classic Warner Brother cartoons. The titles for the movie were a hit and spawned a Pink Panther theatrical cartoon series that had nothing to do with the original films. Edwards would continue to use the character in the opening credits in the rest of the Pink Panther films.

Freleng also did the title animation for A Shot in the Dark but this time using a character based on Clouseau which spawned demands for yet another theatrical cartoon series known as "The Inspector".
Old 01-23-05, 04:42 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Don't forget "Inspector Clouseau" starring Alan Arkin! Another Clouseau film without "The Pink Panther" in the title.