Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Vince McMahon and Steve Austin to sign 3 movie deal

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Vince McMahon and Steve Austin to sign 3 movie deal

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-05, 11:36 AM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't think a lot these guys should be acting, they're not even good actors in the WWE. Rock and Austin would be my top choices to be in Hollywood though.
Old 01-19-05, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
what?????
Old 01-21-05, 12:22 AM

Originally Posted by The Nature Boy
what?????
Yeeeeah!!!!!!!

oops....wrong sub-forum.
Old 01-21-05, 01:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by mikewendt
When I read the plot for The Condemned I was thinking... The Running Man.
You're not the only one, The Running Man immediately jumped out at me when I read the plot. Sounds like a direct rip-off of The Running Man's plot to me.
Old 01-21-05, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I have pretty low expectations for these films. I do not think they will be well received because of the potential bias against wrestlers. I imagine these films will be similar to the straight to video movies starring rappers.
Old 01-21-05, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 730 Likes on 532 Posts
Originally Posted by The Nature Boy
what?????
From you I expect a Wooooooooooooo!
Old 03-18-07, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Trailer:

http://www.mikestrailerreviews.com/t...condemned.html

It does look like a Running Man rip off with a little Battle Royale mixed in.
Old 03-18-07, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

One more movie that is immune to criticism, because if you say anything bad about it people will say "You just have to turn your brain off and watch the explosions, that's why it's so great."

Heaven forbid they try to actually make a good movie.
Old 03-18-07, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

the trailer looks cool... might check it out...... on dvd rental
Old 03-18-07, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts
Originally Posted by Seantn
One more movie that is immune to criticism, because if you say anything bad about it people will say "You just have to turn your brain off and watch the explosions, that's why it's so great."

Heaven forbid they try to actually make a good movie.

I agree, but I did think the Marine was kick ass!! I liked it a lot more than I thought I would have. It was a decent rental. I don't know if I would see it in a theater though...
Old 04-26-07, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Apparently Stone Cold Steve Austin thinks the movie will be huge. It opens tomorrow. How much do you guys predict it to make? I almost want it to bomb simply because he seems cocky about it.
---------------------
Wrestler-turned actor "Stone Cold" Steve Austin claims that Hollywood has ignored professional wrestling as a potential launching platform and that it will be surprised by the box-office performance of The Condemned, produced by World Wrestling Entertainment, when the movie opens this weekend. Austin, who stars in the film, told today's (Thursday) San Francisco Chronicle: "I come with a built-in, hard-core audience. ... That's one thing Hollywood doesn't understand here. Wrestling isn't just a couple guys beating each other up. ... It's bigger than that. It's a violent Broadway show, with a worldwide audience fan base. There are hardcore wrestling fans who will come out to see us, and then there are hardcore Stone Cold fans." Austin told the Chronicle that Hollywood executives have frequently questioned whether his stardom in the wrestling ring could translate onto the screen. "I hold [ticket sales] records that won't ever be broken, pay-per-view, arenas. ... I got fans worldwide. ... Guys who go to the top in this business aren't stupid. Dummies don't make lots of money."
Old 04-26-07, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'll be there this weekend. I am a big wrestling fan, but not necessarily a "Stone Cold" fan. I really liked See No Evil but thought The Marine was kinda shitty. This actually looks good to me (blatant ripoff thought it may be) and I'd be there no matter who was in it.

I bet on a 7-9 million dollar opening weekend, which would be pretty good since it only cost 20 million. And seeing how much The Marine raked in with DVD rentals and sales, I bet it will be pretty profitable in the long run.
Old 04-26-07, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think it'll do around 8 million for the opening weekend as well, but I wouldn't be shocked to see it only pull in 5 or so. There's already a number of films out right now that is pulling for the same sort of audience that The Condemned is aimed at, and on top of that there's two or three other flicks opening wide with The Condemned that's also aimed at the same sort of crowd.

Then, with Spider-Man 3 opening next week, we could end up seeing Austin's flick actually making less at the box office than See No Evil and The Marine once it's all said and done.

Last edited by BrentLumkin; 04-26-07 at 05:43 PM.
Old 04-26-07, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Apparently Stone Cold Steve Austin thinks the movie will be huge.
Keep dreaming Stone Cold. Hell, I'd be surprised if it does 7-8 million. It has a whopping 12% rating at RT.com and a big fat 0% among cream of the crop critics. The Marine stunk and so does this. WWE just needs to stop and get back to what they do best. Considering how down wrestling has been the last year or two, they need to devote all their attention to that, or the WWE might not be around much longer.

Last edited by Terrell; 04-26-07 at 06:29 PM.
Old 04-26-07, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 730 Likes on 532 Posts
Originally Posted by Terrell
Considering how down wrestling has been the last year or two, they need to devote all their attention to that, or the WWE might not be around much longer.
Well, they're branching out to test other avenues since there's no wrestling competition and they know that fans will keep watching the crap they spew.
Old 04-26-07, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Terrell
Keep dreaming Stone Cold. Hell, I'd be surprised if it does 7-8 million. It has a whopping 12% rating at RT.com and a big fat 0% among cream of the crop critics.
I'm just guessing, but wrestlings fans aren't likely to check RottenTomatoes to before buying movie tickets.
Old 04-26-07, 07:58 PM
Suspended

The movie looks really lame.
Old 04-26-07, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

i think it will make its money..... it actually looks pretty cool and early screeners say that it is a good action flick..... not the critics
Old 04-26-07, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

A review on Aint It Cool says that towards the end , there are a few lines in the film that try to get preachy about how "we're really the monsters because we're watching this violence".

That's right, the WWE is preaching at us about liking violence.
Old 04-26-07, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

There's a line like that in the trailer. I believe it's footage from some sort of roundtable news show, and a woman says something along the lines of "is it possible that it's not those on the show who are the condemned, but instead it's us the viewers for watching it". I know that's not exact, but something like that is in the trailer.

Right now on RottenTomatoes it's sitting at 11% overall and 0% Cream of the Crop. I have a feeling that the major thing that's going to drag the movie down, in terms of what people end up thinking about it, is that it's going to be trying to "say something" with a message, instead of just trying to focus on just being a fun action movie.

Last edited by BrentLumkin; 04-26-07 at 11:59 PM.
Old 04-27-07, 01:16 AM

Being a former wrestling fan before WWE took a turn for the worse about 3-4 years back I still Occisonally watch a PPV because a friend of mine still really like's it. (God knows why?) Anyway I saw Wrestlemania this year and wow talk about bad.
I saw See no evil at my friends place and thought it was a terrible movie, The Marine wasn't great but it was brilliant compares to that garbage. I like Stone Cold and I wouldn't say that hes a bad actor hes just not great. I'll probally end up sitting through this movie as well but at least it looks mildy entertaining.
I refuse to buy WWE DVD's anymore because I have a lot of the old PPV's on Tape and most of the DVD's they have coming out have most of the matche's i already own plus i don't have to see the WWF logo blurred out. I guess wrestling grew out on me and as i became more mature i just find it boring now, not to say they don't have a hard job because i couldn't do what they do but I watch lots of TV shows & Movies & collect a million DVD's now so i don't really have the time or intrest to go back to wrestling viewing full time.
Old 04-27-07, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 172 Posts
Sun Times almost gave it a very favorable review, but they said the last 15 minutes are so ridiculous, the whole movie gets soured
Old 04-27-07, 12:26 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Rockmjd23
No matter how good or bad the movie is the critics will dump on any wwe vehicle just out of principle. They have been shitty so far anyway.
I think The Rundown which was produced by WWE actually got pretty decent reviews. I just don't think John Cena or Steve Austin have the charisma that wrestlers like Hogan or The Rock have.
Old 04-28-07, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just like I thought, The Condemned isn't doing great at all. For Friday, it came in at 8th place with only 1.3 million. There's just too many flicks out right now targeting the same audience:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/daily/c...7-04-27&p=.htm

The following were all ahead of The Condemned on Friday:

-Disturbia
-The Invisible
-Next
-Fracture
-Blades of Glory
-Hot Fuzz
-Vacancy
Old 04-29-07, 02:00 AM

Thats because people are sick of WWE garbage movies. Stick to the wrestling Guys cause your mediocre movies arn't getting you very far.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.