Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Bad Education - Almodovar

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 01-17-05, 09:21 AM

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

I went to see this yesterday in a packed house. I really enjoyed the film but am having trouble figuring out how I really feel about it. I cannot say that I wasn't let down a bit, but my expectations were enormous. I almost wish it was creepier, or more haunting, or just maybe more heavy. For me, it didn't seem like the weight of the film was matched by the almost too colorful look of the film and the intensity of the score. More shadows would have been nice.

Gael Garcia Bernal was fantastic as Angel/Zahara cracking the audience up with the first sex scene and as his turn as a drag queen. There is nothing like sitting next to a 60 year old women (who youve never met before) laughing at the same gay-situation jokes that you find amusing. It's good to see that in this world. Bernal has become my favorite young actor and he does not let the audience down.

I could write more about the plot, but I don't want to spoil anything.
ransom
Old 01-17-05, 07:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I saw it today, and being the first Almodovar film I've seen, I found it nothing short as phenominal (sp?). My friend talked up Pedro's films as elborate works of art that draw you into a world unlike any other, but halfway through, I felt like I was missing something. Then Enrique visited Ignacio's home, and the film just got incredibly better from there. Four stars, two thumbs up, yada yada yada ... talk about beautiful filmmaking.

I was thoroughly engrossed and have no complaints at all (but maybe that's because it's the first Almodovar film I've seen).
Old 01-17-05, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I am a Almodovar fan and Bad Education was finally released in my city this past weekend in one art house theater. I want to go see this film but none of my friends want to or have never heard about this film. Is it worth seeing it on the big screen or should I just wait for it on DVD? I'm afraid Blockbuster or Hollywood Video won't carry this film since its rated NC-17. I guess my option is to go watch this film at the theater by myself, but I hate going alone. Thanks.
Old 01-18-05, 01:31 PM

Go see it! Even if it is available for rent at Hollywood or Blockbuster, it certainly won't be released for some time, I would assume.

btw, you going to see it at Cinema 21? I love that theater; I don't get over there nearly as often as I'd like.
Old 01-18-05, 08:33 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

SEE THIS MOVIE IN THEATERS!!

its a georgous looking film. amazing cinematography. deffinitly one to see now and not wait for video.