Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

How long do you watch before you walk out of a movie

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

How long do you watch before you walk out of a movie

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-05, 01:14 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the only movie i walked out of was "Homegrown" after approximately 15 minutes.
Old 01-11-05, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Walked out of "She's All That" in about 30 min. My wife wanted to see it, and I left her in there.
Old 01-11-05, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Have only walked out on "The Cook, The Thief, His Wife and Her Lover", but I lasted about 1 hour and 45 minutes.
Old 01-11-05, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I've never walked out of a movie before. If I paid for it, I'm gonna watch it.

I have fallen asleep during some bad movies before though.
Old 01-11-05, 01:46 PM

I have only walked out on one movie in my life. Within 10 minutes I knew I would hate it. I went in not knowing what the movie was about, which is not usual practice for me at all.
Old 01-11-05, 01:49 PM

Never walked out of a movie, but have definately come close. Especially Alexander.
Old 01-11-05, 01:50 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by rkndkn
Have only walked out on "The Cook, The Thief, His Wife and Her Lover", but I lasted about 1 hour and 45 minutes.
not quite the same, but i rented this about two months ago and stopped it after 30 minutes. i rarely do this, and only if the film is beyond reproach.
Old 01-11-05, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I haven't been to a movie theater in over 5 years, so I don't walk out of them. I do, occasionally, stop a rented DVD. The most recent was The Chronicles of Riddick which we stopped after 22 minutes and returned it.

Stew
Old 01-11-05, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts
I've really enjoyed a lot of what Ben Stiller has done. I have always been in lust with Winona Ryder.

Yet "Reality Bites" is the only movie I have ever left early out of the hundreds I have seen. I despised every character in the movie and wished nothing but evil on them all. I left before anything good could happen to their whiny pretentious ultra-alternative self-absorbed life owes us a living butts.
Old 01-11-05, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've never walked out of a movie because I'm pretty careful about picking what movies I go to. Let's face it, if you couldn't tell ahead of time that "Catwoman" and "Van Helsing" were going to suck and suck hard, you're a lost cause.
Old 01-12-05, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I don't walk out of movies, good, bad mediocre I'll watch the whole thing in the theater. Some DVDs I won't bother to finish watching though. But in the theater, I watch the whole thing. At the very worst I can sit and make fun of the movie. Like the time I went to see "The One" with my friend. 10 minutes into the movie I knew it was awful, and leaned over to my friend and said "how much you wanna bet this ends in a fight in a warehouse?" We had to stay to see that yes, it did in fact end in a warehouse, and we would've missed one hell of a great bad line. "I am nobody's bitch!"

Ahh, bad movies can be fun sometimes.
Old 01-12-05, 03:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
Originally Posted by Green Jello
I've never walked out of a movie and I doubt I ever will.

I feel that I have a good handle on weather or not I'm going to like a film before I ever go to it. spainlinx0 mentioned Ecks vs. Sever. I have to ask,...What were you doing going to that pantload in the first place? For the people who regularly are disappointed and walk out of films, I think they need to do more research before they head out to waste their money.
I think my friends and I went to the movies, and something we wanted to see was crowded. I actually went in having not read any reviews or heard any word of mouth so I had no idea at all that it would be so incredibly painful to sit through. Usually I at least glance through a thread here to see what people thought, but there was no planning so I learned my lesson from that.
Old 01-12-05, 04:42 AM

I've never walked out of a movie, and never will. I'm the kind of person who wants to get value for money, so I'd rather sit and watch a total piece of IQ lowering shit, than leave. That being said I don't see many movies (last year I went to see four movies in total), and the ones I do see are mostly good, so hopefully I'll never have to sit through a completely shitty one.
Old 01-12-05, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts
Originally Posted by spainlinx0
I think my friends and I went to the movies, and something we wanted to see was crowded. I actually went in having not read any reviews or heard any word of mouth so I had no idea at all that it would be so incredibly painful to sit through. Usually I at least glance through a thread here to see what people thought, but there was no planning so I learned my lesson from that.
I have gone into a few completely blind viewings. Some of those have turned into my greatest memories of going to the movies. For instance, I had no idea what "Being There" was about before seeing it. Though I have most always enjoyed Peter Sellers making it perhaps not entirely a blind viewing, it was unlike anything I could have expected from him and it was brilliant and even more enjoyable having no (or at least incorrect) preconceived notions.
Old 01-12-05, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Walked out of Imposter....worst movie ever...
Old 01-12-05, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I walked out of HERO.....

I loved Crouching Monkey Hidden Gerbil as well as many other HK flix but this was just an endless barrage of leaves and horrible wire-fu. Also the subs were WAY too fast....I'll rent it and watch it dubbed. Hopefully I'll like it the 2nd time around....the first time in theaters I had to walk out. I couldn't take it.
Old 01-12-05, 08:56 PM

Walked out just once for...

Enemy at the Gates - walked out after about 20-30 mins only because I hadn't slept in over a day and was dead tired. Don't know why my friend and I went in the first place and still haven't seen the rest of it.

By the way, only movie to put me asleep was The Majestic.
Old 01-12-05, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
I made it out to LA in 2002, so before the week was up I had to see a movie at Mann's. Well that week was We Were Soldiers. I thought it was a no brainer, written by Randall Wallace the guy behind Braveheart, starring Mel Gibson. Well, after about 40 minutes of the director just trying to top Speilberg(SPR) vilence-wise, I slept through the rest of it. Wish I could have caught something enjoyable there.
Old 01-12-05, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
never walked out
Old 01-13-05, 12:00 AM

Walked out of American Beauty after 15 minutes at most. I was never so happy to stop watching a movie. Also walked out of A Smile Like Yours.

During the first 20-30 minutes of a movie, never leave the theater without asking for at least a pass or your money back. Just be honest and tell them you couldn't stand the movie. If it's early on, they should at minimum give you a pass that you can use later to see a (hopefully) better movie.
Old 01-13-05, 01:29 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill Needle
I've really enjoyed a lot of what Ben Stiller has done. I have always been in lust with Winona Ryder.

Yet "Reality Bites" is the only movie I have ever left early out of the hundreds I have seen. I despised every character in the movie and wished nothing but evil on them all. I left before anything good could happen to their whiny pretentious ultra-alternative self-absorbed life owes us a living butts.
Off topic, but you are dead-on correct about this miserable film. I luckily didn't pay to see this, but I unfortunately have sat through the entire thing.

Back on topic, I have never walked out of a movie I paid for. Otherwise I have walked out of two I got in for free... Hardball, not because of the movie quality but because I decided to go hang out with some friends at the bar instead; and Time Changer, which I only went into because my friend worked at the theater and he told me how horrible it was. So I had to at least check it out.

The main reason I don't walk out of bad movies is so I can come bitch about them later on the internet.
Old 01-13-05, 02:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DRG
Off topic, but you are dead-on correct about this miserable film. I luckily didn't pay to see this, but I unfortunately have sat through the entire thing.
I actually did a paper on this movie for a Modern American Literature class in college and watched it 4 times in two days. From the point of view of looking at the attitude and "plight" (for lack of a better word) of the Gen-X generation, it's actually pretty brilliant. I have a hard time thinking of it outstide of the focus of my paper, so it's hard for me to look at it as just a film, but it made writing my paper a heck of a lot more fun.

In case anyone was wondering, the title of the paper was A Comparison of Commonalities Between the Characters In Modernist Literary Works and the Contemporary Movie Reality Bites and Their Reactions to A Disrupted Society. Basic conclusion . . . the two groups are frighteningly similar, but Gen-Xer's whine more.
Old 01-13-05, 05:56 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Bill Needle

So the characters are pretentious and whiny. What does this have to do with the quality of the film?
Old 01-13-05, 05:57 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by NeggShmellow
Walked out of American Beauty after 15 minutes at most. I was never so happy to stop watching a movie.
What about it made you leave after just 15 minutes? Did the masturbation scene offend you or something?
Old 01-13-05, 05:58 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by jessecrx
I walked out of HERO.....

I loved Crouching Monkey Hidden Gerbil as well as many other HK flix but this was just an endless barrage of leaves and horrible wire-fu. Also the subs were WAY too fast....I'll rent it and watch it dubbed. Hopefully I'll like it the 2nd time around....the first time in theaters I had to walk out. I couldn't take it.

Just read faster. Jesus....

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.