Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Beyond The Sea - quick review

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 01-08-05, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

As a director, Kevin Spacey is average, and I felt he just didn't have a good grasp what would make for a satisfying viewing experience. I found his direction boring, even the musical numbers at times because the camera angles just don't have a finish to them, or were placed in the wrong spot for the scene, the camera moved awkwardly or not at all, relying on zoom cuts instead.

As a singer, Spacey's got a good voice, and is entertaining. Can't say I didn't enjoy those scenes that features him singing Darin's tunes. The film itself is a bit of a jumbled mess, trying to be artsy in spots as the story jumps around without sufficient payoff for such choppiness, all for the sake of being edgy, I suspect.

I give it 2 stars, or a grade of C.
Old 01-09-05, 01:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the review. I'm a big Bobby and Kevin Spacey fan, and I can't wait to see this (still not showing where I am... I'm sick of all of these 300 screen openings). I did get the soundtrack and am very impressed with Spacey's renditions of his songs. I'm sure he's great in it.
Old 01-09-05, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I went into this fully expecting to hate it today. My wife is a big Spacey fan and I finally agreed to take her to see it. Had heard some negative things about the movie and haven't liked anything Spacey has done in years. But that being said, I loved the movie. Very impressive directing debut for Spacey and he carries the film with his talent and singing ability. The musical numbers were great and the movie just felt alive to me. Kate Bosworth was especially surprising as Sadra Dee. Didn't think she would be any good, but she was very good in this role.

I wasn't sure at the beginning if I would go for the whole thing. Spacey does tend to try to get a bit "artsy" at times, but I think in the end it works for him. You might get someone like who, while loving Bobby Darin's music, didn't really find the details of his life too interesting and worth a movie when I first read about them. But the way Spacey goes about it, he draws you into the movie. During the first fantasy sequence with everybody dancing in the street, I found myself rolling my eyes, but Spacey follows it with a scene talking to himself as a little boy that made it all work for me.

Go see it if it comes near you. Definitely one of my favorite films this year and one of the biggest surprises for me this year. Would rank it right up there with Sideways, Eternal Sunshine, Aviator and the other favorites I've seen this year.
Old 01-14-05, 03:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 119 Likes on 71 Posts
Saw it last weekend.
Decent movie. 'B'
Spacey has a good singing voice.
Bosworth was cute as Sandra Dee.
I wonder why Spacey didn't sing "multipulation" while doing the Italian scenes for "Come September". Maybe its a rights issue.
Old 01-14-05, 01:46 PM

I saw a few weeks ago, and I thought it was a decent film. The film basically stands on Kevin Spacey's performance which are a lot of fun. During some of the more extravagant performances where they people are dancing and Spacey's use of color make the film joy on those levels. Dramatically it falls short of something like Ray where the filmmakers made me really care for Ray Charles, and here they did not make me care enough for Bobby Darin. I give it ***/**** because Kevin Spacey was very exciting in his wonderful performances of the Bobby Darin's songs. The scene where Darin is trying to woo Sandra Dee when the title song is playing is a definite highlight.

Last edited by bsktballDude1; 01-14-05 at 01:53 PM.
Old 02-18-05, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Just saw it and it's a real mixed bag. I liked the singing and Spacey did a surprisingly good job with it and by the end of the film he sold me with his overall acting job (although, as everyone says, he was too old for the part). What I didn't like was how it kept trying to be All That Jazz and it just didn't work for this film. And as a director, Spacey is no Bob Fosse.

I particularly did not like the ending.
Spoiler:
They had it nailed when he was singing what looked to be the last song and they did a montage of what looked to be final scenes. That should have been it, fade to the "what happened to everyone" stuff and the credits. Then they had to go and do this whole bit that felt totally flat and sucked out all the emotion and energy.

But I'm glad I saw it. **½/****.
Old 02-18-05, 10:53 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

It's a horrible mean thought, but I'm tickled the film died quietly in America. Maybe this will bring Spacey's ego down a few notches. Unlikely, but I can hope...