Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Natalie Portman in "V for Vendetta"

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 01-05-05, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hot off a Golden Globe nom for her work in "Closer," Natalie Portman is in final negotiations to topline the Wachowski brothers' "V Is for Vendetta," for Warner Bros. and producer Joel Silver.

An adaptation of Alan Moore's graphic novel of the same name, action-heavy script was penned by the "Matrix" scribes. Their longtime first assistant director James McTeigue will make his helming debut on the pic. The Wachowskis will produce "Vendetta" with Warners-based Silver.

"Vendetta" takes place in an alternate future in which Germany wins WWII and Great Britain becomes a fascist state. A terrorist freedom fighter known only as "V" begins a violent guerrilla campaign to destroy those who've succumbed to totalitarianism, and recruits a young woman he's rescued -- or possibly kidnapped --from the secret police to join him.

McTeigue recently wrapped duties as first a.d. on "Star Wars -- Episode III: Revenge of the Sith," where he worked closely with Portman. Actress also recently starred in the critically acclaimed "Garden State" for Fox Searchlight and Miramax.

Before "Vendetta" can start shooting in Berlin, Portman will first need to wrap up her work on "Free Zone," from Israeli helmer Amos Gitai ("11'09"01 -- September 11"). But insiders familiar with the studio's plans say the first week of March has already been carved out to start production, with a fall 2005 release planned.

http://www.natalieportman.com/npcom.php
Sounds good. Has anyone ever read the book?
Old 01-05-05, 09:44 AM

Yeah, though it's been a while. Good news...I had no idea this was being made into a movie.
Old 01-05-05, 09:48 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A buddy loaned me the trade collection over a year ago, but I never got a round to reading it. Looks like I've got more incentive.
Old 01-05-05, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post
I've been waiting to see what the Wachowski's do next. That part of the story is more interesting to me then the Natalie Portman part
Old 01-05-05, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Nice. I was wondering when someone was going to make a movie based on this. Great story by Alan Moore.
Old 01-05-05, 10:03 AM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Sounds good. I'll think about picking up the book now.
Old 01-05-05, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
I loved the comics, almost up there with Watchmen. I'll have to re-read it again. Its good the W. bros are doing this.
Old 01-05-05, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Wow, awesome choice. I wonder who they'll get to play "V" (not that it matters I guess since you never actually see his face really)
Old 01-05-05, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
YAY! OMG! AN ADAPTATION OF AN ALAN MOORE BOOK! THIS CAN'T SUCK! OMG!!!!!1111!!!1!11!
Old 01-05-05, 12:52 PM

Sounds interesting, but I'm automatically heavily interested in a movie with the lovely Natalie Portman starring, may be I'll read the book, like I read Cold Mountain when I knew Portman was going to be in that movie.
Old 01-05-05, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Teaser Poster:

Old 01-05-05, 02:19 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

too bad the wachowski's aren't directing. i am very curious as to what their next film will be. i was impressed by the ideas behind the matrix trilogy.

Last edited by cygnet74; 01-05-05 at 08:22 PM.
Old 01-05-05, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by cygnet74
too bad the wachowski's aren't directing.
Cause for CELEBRATION!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-05-05, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Can we still call them brothers?

I mean after one of them... you know... switched.
Old 01-05-05, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by FinkPish
Teaser Poster:

So is this a CGI animated film then?
Old 01-06-05, 09:48 PM

I doubt it's going to be a CGI film. That's the mask that V wears.
Old 01-06-05, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
"V For Vendetta" is the actual title of the comics and the movie.

this one is nearly as good as Watchmen.
i sure wish somehow a movie could get made of that.
Old 01-06-05, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by Third Baseman
"Vendetta" takes place in an alternate future in which Germany wins WWII and Great Britain becomes a fascist state. A terrorist freedom fighter known only as "V" begins a violent guerrilla campaign to destroy those who've succumbed to totalitarianism, and recruits a young woman he's rescued -- or possibly kidnapped --from the secret police to join him.
Sounds cool, but what's up with the 'Germany winning WW2' bit? That wasn't in the Original GN.

As I recall, it was about a right wing movement that takes over a sitting government.
Old 01-06-05, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by whotony
this one is nearly as good as Watchmen.
i sure wish somehow a movie could get made of that.
Actually, Watchmen is getting made; Paul Greengrass (The Bourne Supremacy) is directing, replacing Darren Aronofsky. No idea on casting yet.
Old 01-07-05, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by DonnachaOne
YAY! OMG! AN ADAPTATION OF AN ALAN MOORE BOOK! THIS CAN'T SUCK! OMG!!!!!1111!!!1!11!

I wish Moore would take more interest into how his stories end up on screen.
Old 01-07-05, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

i loved the graphic novel and can't wait for Nov. 5th - or the week of the fifth (it's only right that TPTB release it that week )! Any news on who'll play/voice the man in the Guy Fawkes mask?
The "viking funeral" sequence should be a blast (no pun intended).
Old 01-07-05, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

press release
The Wachowski Brothers and Joel Silver, the creators and producer of the revolutionary, $1.6 billion-grossing "Matrix" trilogy, will unleash the action thriller "V For Vendetta" for Silver Pictures and Warner Bros. Pictures, with Natalie Portman ("Star Wars: Episodes I-III," "Closer," "Garden State") set to star.

"Natalie Portman is one of the most gifted actresses working today, and we're thrilled that she is bringing her extraordinary talents and presence to this film," Silver said.

Set in the futuristic landscape of totalitarian Britain, "V For Vendetta" stars Portman as a young woman who becomes the unlikely ally of a mysterious revolutionary.

"With 'V For Vendetta,' the Wachowski Brothers have created an uncompromising vision of the future driven by a totally original superhero," said Silver.

The screenplay by Andy Wachowski and Larry Wachowski is based on the acclaimed graphic novel "V For Vendetta" by author Alan Moore ("The Watchmen," "Swamp Thing") and illustrator David Lloyd. Originally collected by DC Comics as a ten-part series in 1988, "V For Vendetta" has been praised for its vision, potency and eloquence. Moore is widely considered to be one of the finest comic writers of all time, and has been credited with single-handedly expanding the potential of the comic book medium with his work.

Produced by Joel Silver, Andy Wachowski and Larry Wachowski, "V For Vendetta" will be directed by James McTeigue, who served as the First Assistant Director on the "Matrix" trilogy.

"V For Vendetta" will be filmed on location in Berlin beginning in early March and will be released in the Fall of 2005 by Warner Bros. Pictures, a Warner Bros. Entertainment Company.
Old 01-07-05, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Short turn around! I always worry about movies that don't take very long to make.
Old 01-14-05, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I know there are a LOT of horny Portman fans here which I think is the reason most here have any interest in the movie & I don't think any here have read the actually story since nobody has talked about the actual character yet.

I'm assuming Portman is playing Evie, which is quite a complex & tortured character so I'd assume they will be changing quite a bit for the film. She is bi-sexual & gets her head shaved bald, & for all the horn-dogs here, there is nudity in the comic (while she is bald actually I think).

The movie & story will completely hinge on who they cast as The Man From Room Five, so hopefully they get it right. I loathe the Matrix so while I'm looking foward to this for Portman, I have low hopes that it will be done right.
Old 01-15-05, 01:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 183 Likes on 138 Posts
Originally Posted by Sessa17
I know there are a LOT of horny Portman fans here which I think is the reason most here have any interest in the movie & I don't think any here have read the actually story since nobody has talked about the actual character yet.

I'm assuming Portman is playing Evie, which is quite a complex & tortured character so I'd assume they will be changing quite a bit for the film. She is bi-sexual & gets her head shaved bald, & for all the horn-dogs here, there is nudity in the comic (while she is bald actually I think).
I would admire the hell out of Natalie if she would shave her head and do a nude scenes in this movie. Especially at the same time.

I haven't read V for Vendetta in ages, I think I read a friend's copy of the book about fifteen years ago and haven't bought my own yet. I'll probably have to remedy that soon before DC puts a tacky "movie" cover on the TPB.

Still hoping for a good Alan Moore adaption... (For the Record, I've pretty everything of Moore's I've managed to get my hands on: Halo Jones, Watchmen, D.R. and Quinch, Brought to Light, V for Vendetta, LoEG, Promethea, Snakes and Ladders, From Hell, Birth Caul, Voice of the Fire, and likely a few I've forgotten to list. I also have the Birth Caul and Moon & Serpent CDs.)

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.