Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Natalie Portman in "V for Vendetta"

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Natalie Portman in "V for Vendetta"

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-05, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,725 Likes on 1,881 Posts
Doesn't look too bad, but it's still a little too early to tell.

It'll be interesting to see if this movie stirs up any shit in the current political climate.
Old 07-26-05, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts
Originally Posted by candyrocket786
I thought it had the Equlibrium theme
Before the Warner Bros. logo appears, the music is Vespertilio from Batman Begins. When the Warner Bros. logo appears the music is from Equilibrium up until the text that read "From The Creators Of The Matrix Trilogy". At that point the music switches to Molossus from Batman Begins. Then when Stephen Rea say "chaos" the music switches to Myotis (also from Batman Begins).

That's all I know for now as I haven't finished downloading the trailer. Loving it so far.
Old 07-26-05, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Okay, it finally finished downloading. It's actually piqued my interest.

Now, based on
Spoiler:
the scene of whom I assume is Natalie Portman spray painting the V logo on a banner (similar to how V is shown carving the same logo into a plaque earlier in the trailer), is it safe to assume that V is a martyr by the time the end credits roll? Also, is it true that in the comic book his face is never shown? If so, is the reason for the mask at least explained?
Old 07-29-05, 06:24 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RocShemp
Spoiler:
...is it safe to assume that V is a martyr by the time the end credits roll? Also, is it true that in the comic book his face is never shown? If so, is the reason for the mask at least explained?
Spoiler:
The reason is explained in the book. V's plan involves his own death and Evey's valmorphinization into V without anyone ever knowing that he'd died. It's sort of like The Phantom. V represents an idea, not a person although the personification is necessary to enforce the idea.

To quote David Lloyd, from his panel at ComiCon, "V is not a man. It's an idea."

That's why we won't see Hugo Weaving's face at all. I greatly admire this actor for not being so egomaniacal that he insist on his face being filmed. (Remember Stallone in Judge Dredd, the ass.) It's almost experimental having a star this recognizable play a whole film with voice and gesture.

God. I can't wait. This is probably my favorite movie year to date (esp. in no small part to having an actual Batman movie finally).
Old 07-29-05, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Thanks for the info, Kudama. That's pretty much the vibe I got from the trailer and I'm glad you confirmed it. This makes me look forward to it even more. Now I just got to get my hands on the comic.
Old 07-30-05, 05:57 PM
Banned

Read only if you've read the comic.

Spoiler:
In the first part of the trailer, I'm guessing (strongly) that it is V who is asking Evey to betray V. (Asking? Authority has never gotten better,)
Old 07-30-05, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts
Originally Posted by Kudama
Read only if you've read the comic.

Spoiler:
In the first part of the trailer, I'm guessing (strongly) that it is V who is asking Evey to betray V. (Asking? Authority has never gotten better,)

Having read that part of the comic
Spoiler:
that is a strange way to say "I love you", especially the sexual abuse. If the movie is like the comic, I would love to see a follow up with Natalie Portman as V, just so we can kind of get our Matilda movie so to speak. Plus, she does look kind of like a bad ass with her shaved head and defiant tone.
Old 07-30-05, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Just read the comic, just watched the trailer. My question
Spoiler:
in the trailer V says "ideals, Mr Creed, are bulletproof." I thought he tells Finch that in the comic after he blasts him. Also, Rea is listed as Prothero in the cast, but his lines appear to be either Almond or Creed, plus he'd be much better in one of those parts than as the voice. Are these 2 goofs or is my memory that shitty?
Old 07-31-05, 01:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
Hmm, trailer is intriguing, but as a big fan of Moore's comics and very disappointed in how much they screwed up "From Hell" and "League," I can't get too optimistic. Will see it regardless, though.
Old 08-04-05, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ehh, I never bothered to watch From Hell or League ... but this one looks interesting. I'll have to reread my copy again.
Old 08-04-05, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I thought the trailer was a little cheesy looking. I love Natalie and Alan Moore's work. Hopefully this is one of those that is much better than the trailer lets on...
Old 08-17-05, 07:42 PM
Cool New Member

Eeeek.

http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire2005/i...ory=3&id=32070
Old 08-17-05, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by Flynn
I thought the trailer was a little cheesy looking. I love Natalie and Alan Moore's work. Hopefully this is one of those that is much better than the trailer lets on...
I agree. I was excited about this movie, but then the trailer cut that excitement in half. It looked bad. I will still see it though. A lot of good movies had very bad trailers.
Old 08-17-05, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My guess for the delay is they didn't want it to open too close to Aeon Flux; it would be too much to have two movies about vigilantes fighting in a distopian society appear withing a month of each other.
Old 08-18-05, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i dont want to read any spoilers, but would the comic be a good idea to check out before the movie?
Old 08-18-05, 09:53 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
My guess for the delay is they didn't want it to open too close to Aeon Flux; it would be too much to have two movies about vigilantes fighting in a distopian society appear withing a month of each other.

I don't know about that. V would've been first, which is always better.
Old 08-18-05, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
i dont want to read any spoilers, but would the comic be a good idea to check out before the movie?
If you don't want spoilers, why would you want to read the comic?
Old 08-18-05, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by PublicEnemy#1
What is it about delaying a movie that causes everyone to shriek in horror.
Old 08-23-05, 08:19 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by sfgate.com
Portman's 'Terrorist' Movie Postponed

"V for Vendetta" film bosses have denied the terrorism-themed movie is being delayed because of London's recent bomb attacks -- they insist technical difficulties are responsible for the date change.

The film stars Natalie Portman and Hugo Weaving against the terrifying backdrop of bombings on the London underground, but producers are refusing to re-edit the scenes that closely mimic recent murderous events in the city.

The movie release date has been moved until next year.

A Warner Brothers source explains, "The film is still in post-production and the visual effects wouldn't be completed in time. That's why it's being postponed.

"There might also be some extra shooting days but none of the scenes involving the Underground are being altered."

This is SUCK I hope they're telling the truth about not bowing to pressure to change the footage but somehow me suspects villainy afoot.

I told myself that I wouldn't believe it until I saw this in theaters and now an announcement that could be a thinly veiled stalling tactic because the studio is getting pressure, and the artists won't budge, hits the streets. I really had a feeling this was going to happen.

I could see a major delay like this happening to A Scanner Darkly (animating every frame from life) but anyone who knows this comic knows that it's not exactly effects heavy. Sheesh. Spiderman 1 & 2 came out on time and those were effects intensive.

I started another thread on this one and FinkPish and PopcornTreeCt referred me to this thread. I argued that this was a different subject (fear of censorship) before I tracked this sinking thread and realized they were absolutely right. The delay is being discussed here so that’s where I’m addressing my very deep concerns. I’ve been a fan of this story for a looong time (Years before DC reprinted it, had a giant V symbol, for 3 years, on my bedroom wall in India ink applied with a syringe sans needle) and I’m looking forward to this as much as many were looking forward to the new Star Wars movie. The thought that this movie is receiving political pressure is intolerable to me, so please forgive my passion.

Originally Posted by chanster
This year, next year. Whatever. Don't blow your brains out over it.
It's not the wait that bothers me (as much at least), chanster. (Please see above.) ...

PS - Thanks FinkPish.

Last edited by Kudama; 08-23-05 at 08:26 PM.
Old 10-16-05, 02:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I for one liked the trailer. I'm glad that it doesn't look like they're downplaying the fact that V is a terrorist.

In some ways it feels exactly like the book, and in other ways it feels totally wrong.

I didn't mind From Hell either, maybe because I just see it as a sort of action movie adaptation of the book. Sometimes when you adapt something so it's different, but different in the sense that it's not insulting the original work, I still can find an adapation to be enjoyable in its own way. From Hell the movie was good in it's own way. Good in a way totally different from the book.

Whenever this movie comes out, I hope I'll enjoy it enough so I'll still be able to wear my V t-shirt.
Old 10-16-05, 06:15 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've never read the comic nor heard anything about the comic but am looking forward to seeing this.
Old 11-16-05, 01:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,725 Likes on 1,881 Posts
See the poster here

Very sharp poster...
Old 11-16-05, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,096 Likes on 793 Posts
That's just f**kin' great. My #2 favorite masturbation fantasy, and now she looks like Private Pyle.

Old 11-16-05, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

You know, if they had put the Star Wars:Clone Wars cartoon character of Asajj Ventress into the recent movie, Portman could have played that character as well.
Old 11-16-05, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
See the poster here

Very sharp poster...
Nice!