DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   How is "the Third Man"? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/403558-how-third-man.html)

Rypro 525 01-04-05 03:17 PM

How is "the Third Man"?

believe it or not, i have never seen this movie before, but with all the hype regarding the entrence scene, i might have to buy the criterion dvd? is the movie sans the entrence anything special? (i am a big citizen kane fan)

Mondo Kane 01-04-05 03:25 PM

Anton Karas zither's score might try your patience (It certainly did mine) but The Third Man is the shit.

Greatest final shot ever to appear in a movie, anyone?

FinkPish 01-04-05 03:28 PM

It is definitely worth seeing, if not buying.

eXcentris 01-04-05 03:50 PM

A quitessential film noir with amazing cinematography by Robert Krasker. The showdown at the ferris wheel and the chase thru the sewers are extraordinary sequences not to be missed. Highly recommended.

wendersfan 01-04-05 03:56 PM

It's an absolutely fantastic film that has to be on the shortlist of the greatest movies ever made.

marty888 01-04-05 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by wendersfan
It's an absolutely fantastic film that has to be on the shortlist of the greatest movies ever made.

Actually, it's even <i>better</i> than that!

This was the first title I ever bought on VHS (years ago) and was the first Criterion DVD I ever purchased. Quite simply, a masterpiece.

chente 01-04-05 04:08 PM

I love the cuckoo clock speech. Great movie and the Criterion DVD is awesome. I love all the Harry Lime old time radio supplements.

Geofferson 01-04-05 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane

Well since you asked (this would be a good topic for a thread itself)...The Searchers gets my vote.

Back OT, The Third Man is truly a great film.

Mr. Salty 01-04-05 04:28 PM

Great film and a great presentation on DVD. It's one of the favorites in my collection.

Rubix 01-04-05 05:17 PM

like the comments above, i always hear good things about it. when i finally attempted to watch it i got very bored and fell asleep. the video quality was not that impressive on the criterion dvd either.

i'll have to try watching again some other time.

The Ferret 01-04-05 06:33 PM

I had high hopes and was dissapointed - the zither score was just flat out annoying to me. That said, Orson Welles plays an ultra-cool character and there were some great scenes. I wouldn't mind giving it another chance myself...

natevines 01-04-05 06:44 PM

I hate to say this - I'm a big fan of film noir, and have seen all the great ones (except for Laura and White Heat since they're not on DVD yet), and this one was just dissapointing. The plot seemed somewhat interesting at first, but then just got so tangled up and incomprehensible. Maybe I should rewatch it, but I really didn't like it.

InnocentBlood 01-04-05 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
Anton Karas zither's score might try your patience (It certainly did mine) but The Third Man is the shit.

i don't know about 'greatest' but it sure is very memorable :)

and i did like the score very much too.

Sondheim 01-04-05 08:24 PM

It took me a second viewing to fully appreciate, but now it's one of my favorite films. Great plot (that - unlike some noir films - actually makes sense,) excellent acting and a wonderful score. It never gets boring and is endlessly rewatchable...

And I can't believe how much better the Criterion DVD looked than the VHS I watched for the first viewing, which wasn't all that bad of quality anyways.

Count Dooku 01-04-05 08:41 PM

The Third Man is a great movie, and the zither score is great, too --unusual music for an unusual film.

Best final shot? How about The Graduate, Godfather 2, or a pesonal favorite: Being There.

Jericho 01-04-05 11:44 PM

It's the cat's meow!

Goat3001 01-05-05 08:42 AM

As another poster said, it took me two viewings to really appreciate it. Its a good film and I think its a movie every film fan should see at some point. Its definatly worth checking out.

dave w 01-05-05 09:12 AM

The scene where ORSON WELLES enters the movie is one of the greatest in cinema.This is one criterion disc that is well worth the extra money.

dave w 01-05-05 09:22 AM

http://www.filmmonthly.com/Noir/Arti...heThirdMan.jpg

Numanoid 01-05-05 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by natevines
I hate to say this - I'm a big fan of film noir, and have seen all the great ones (except for Laura and White Heat since they're not on DVD yet), and this one was just dissapointing. The plot seemed somewhat interesting at first, but then just got so tangled up and incomprehensible. Maybe I should rewatch it, but I really didn't like it.

The plot is pretty simple:
Spoiler:
Guy comes to Vienna to meet his friend. Friend appears to have just died. Guy meets friend's girlfriend and investigates friend's death a little. Guy finds out friend is a scumbag blackmarketeer who waters down medicine used on children. Guy finds friend is still alive. Guy helps cops catch friend. The end. Oversimplified, of course.

silentbob007 01-05-05 11:52 AM

I'm not a huge fan ... like others have said, the zither score really grated at my nerves.

Numanoid 01-05-05 11:52 AM

Just watched the documentary "Shadowing The Third Man" last night (had it Tivoed from TCM). They mention that the European cut and American cut are different. Apparently they also showed the European cut, but I didn't get that Tivoed. Anyone know which version is on the Criterion DVD?

Numanoid 01-05-05 11:57 AM

It may be worth noting (depending on what you think of him, of course), but I believe that Roger Ebert has stated several times that The Third Man is his favorite film.

Johnny Zhivago 01-05-05 12:17 PM

The Third Man is a <b><u>great</u></b> film... Get it and absorb it, spin it twice if you get lost.

majorjoe23 01-05-05 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by Numanoid
It may be worth noting (depending on what you think of him, of course), but I believe that Roger Ebert has stated several times that The Third Man is his favorite film.

Ebert says Casablanca is his favorite film on that movie's commentary.