Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Why are people going to see Meet the Fockers?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-05, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So many good movies out right now and everyone seems to be going to see Meet the Fockers? Why? Please tell me why that movie is making over $160 mill.
Old 01-02-05, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
Masses are asses.

I think it might be because many of the critcally acclaimed movies out there, while good, are major emotional downers (at least what I've seen). Furthermore, not everyone lives in a major city and has access to the really good movies. Many of them have yet to receive a wide release, and I doubt several of them ever will.
Old 01-02-05, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts
Studies have proven that people do not share one opinion and may in fact have different tastes in food, clothes, books, music, cars, and yes, even movies.
Old 01-02-05, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The first one was funny and was a pretty big hit. It finished around 160mill.

Sequel = People

=$Kaching$
Old 01-02-05, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't see why a lot of people wouldn't go see 'Meet the Fockers'. The first one did well theatrically and has done well in home video. People, including me, were obviously entertained by it, so why not belly up to the bar for another round?
Old 01-02-05, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
I am surprised it's doing so well. The first was amusing, but nothing I fell down in awe over. I'm waiting for video for the sequel. I have to say it's a little depressing to see that this is the biggest hit talents like DeNiro and Hoffman have probably ever had in their careers, considering all their other movies.
Old 01-02-05, 08:17 PM

why not just lock this thread because it's stupid
Old 01-02-05, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

The first one was very popular. The second one, is supposedly quite funny and a good sequel. I know quite a few who found it very funny. As much as we'd love to see small dramas, offbeat films and unique films be the blockbusters, most people prefer fun, simple and lighthearted entertainment. It's not rocket science...funny movie, big stars, and sequel to a massive hit. It's a big time for movies, and this is the one that has mass appeal. Sure, you might prefer Million Dollar Baby, Life Aquatic, or whatever else to be making the big dollars, but honestly do any of those movies have the mainstream appeal of a easy, fun, star studded comedy with a story that lots of people can relate to on a basic level?
Old 01-02-05, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It would be difficult for Million Dollar Baby to be a big hit right now when playing in such limited release. I live in the #7 US market (with a wide selection of arthouse cinemas), and it isn't playing here.

And I don't know about this being the biggest hit for Hoffman. Adjusted for inflation, Tootsie was a huge hit (even without adjusting for inflation, it did $177 million, and that was in 1982).
Old 01-02-05, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I think what PopcornTree is wondering, as am I, is just why it's doing so damn well. I mean, we all understand that the first one was a hit and no one should be surprised that this is too, but this thing has already pulled in over 160 million dollars! At the rate it's going, it could wind up as the second highest-grossing movie of 2004. I know it's too early to tell what it will end up with, but a few months ago, if you were asked whether MTF or The Incredibles will gross more at the box office, what would your answer have been?
Old 01-02-05, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

There aren't a whole lot of mainstream movies out there that audiences find appealing, apparently, driving a lot of folks to the one movie that looks good to them, and probably the only one you can take a lot of the family to.

Looking at the showtimes at my local megaplex, 'Meet the Fockers' is about the only movie that looks appealing to me (since 'Sideways' is showing at my local Megaplex, I can't say 'Meet the Fockers' is the only movie that looks appealing, but other than that one...). Being the only appealing mainstream movie at a time when a lot of people are having time off can lead to some big grosses in a short period of time.

Despite doing well so far, I can't imagine 'Meet the Fockers' will end up besting $374 million to become the 2nd highest grossing movie of 2004.
Old 01-02-05, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
because it is funny?
Old 01-02-05, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by BigDan
Despite doing well so far, I can't imagine 'Meet the Fockers' will end up besting $374 million to become the 2nd highest grossing movie of 2004.
You're right-I forgot how well Spider-Man 2 did.
Old 01-02-05, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Click on this site to see why ben stiller owns hollywood

A tease

Old 01-02-05, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Yes, MIllion couldn't cause of its limited screen count. But when it expands, it's not going to be making 40 million dollar weekends and hundreds of millions of dollars. It's just not that type of film.

Looking at Meet the Fockers, it's not that surprising it's doing well. Now, I don't think anyone can put their finger on why it's doing SO well, I don't think anyone expected it to be as big as it is. There's a myriad of things, from timing to good advertising to what its competing against (notice the lack of a LoTR type hit, which this is becoming). But quite simply, looking at the type of movie it is, looking at the stars, looking at the first film, is it really so shocking it's popular? Obviously lots of people want to see it and like it, and it's during a time when people want to see movies. It crosses demographic boundries and is a film lots of people like. It has stars that young and old like, it's light hearted and funny and it's winter break. I could write reasons all day long...but nonetheless, it doesn't really seem that odd.
Old 01-02-05, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
It's filled with stars, is a sequel to a popular movie and people like to laugh. Everyone likes different things and why wouldn't be a success?
Old 01-02-05, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I want to see it because i thouroughly enjoyed the first one. Shouldn't this topic be about Glitter or From Justin to Kelly? I bet noone can answer why anyone would see those 2
Old 01-02-05, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Drexl
but a few months ago, if you were asked whether MTF or The Incredibles will gross more at the box office, what would your answer have been?

Meet the Fockers.

Stew
Old 01-02-05, 10:22 PM

I second the "because it is funny". It still surprises me at the elitist views certain movies get. If it is not a drama or does not make a social statement it is crap. I did not think the first one was particularly laugh out loud funny. It had it's moments but IMO hi-larious. However I did find myself laughing fairly hard at the sequel. I think it is the funnier of the two.
Old 01-02-05, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Hmmm .... several of the top names in Hollywood in a sequel to a hit movie, a light entertainment during the holiday season when the evening news is filled with war, death, and natural disasters, and someone can't figure it out why people are filling the seats ...

Last edited by marty888; 01-02-05 at 10:39 PM.
Old 01-02-05, 10:44 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
So many good movies out right now and everyone seems to be going to see Meet the Fockers? Why? Please tell me why that movie is making over $160 mill.
Just look at the title. Meet the Fockers. Kinda sounds like Meet the Fuckers, don't it? HAHAHAHAH hahahahahah...... Meet the Fuckers!!! LOL LOL LOL OMG if the title alone is that funny then who knows what inspired lunacy the actual movie may contain???? Doesn't your curiosity just make you want to see it right now, this very instant??? I mean seriously, if given a choice between this and, say, Hotel Rwanda what would YOU pick to see?? A movie based on the genocide and murder of 800,000 Tutsis by knives and machetes, all under the nose of the U.N. Security Council....or a movie titled Meet the Fuck....er, I mean Meet the Fockers!!? Friends, I think the choice is obvious.
Old 01-02-05, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Rivero
Just look at the title. Meet the Fockers. Kinda sounds like Meet the Fuckers, don't it? HAHAHAHAH hahahahahah...... Meet the Fuckers!!! LOL LOL LOL OMG if the title alone is that funny then who knows what inspired lunacy the actual movie may contain???? Doesn't your curiosity just make you want to see it right now, this very instant??? I mean seriously, if given a choice between this and, say, Hotel Rwanda what would YOU pick to see?? A movie based on the genocide and murder of 800,000 Tutsis by knives and machetes, all under the nose of the U.N. Security Council....or a movie titled Meet the Fuck....er, I mean Meet the Fockers!!? Friends, I think the choice is obvious.

While I don't agree with your position your post is pretty funny.

With that said, it is my guess people just want a good laugh from a movie that most likely will deliver to some point if you enjoyed the first one. On the other hand, a movie such as Hotel Rwanda hasn't exactly had the biggest marketing push and there is relevance to the point marty888 made.

Personally, I'll wait for Meet the Fockers to hit DVD before I check it out unless someone calls me out of the blue and wants to see it. I'd do the same with Hotel Rwanda as I have no intentions to see that in theaters.

Actually, I don't go to the theaters that often so what do I care. Blah.
Old 01-02-05, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
You got some personal vendetta against this movie or something? Seems rather obvious why it's doing well - people like it and it's getting word of mouth.
Old 01-02-05, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts
Seems like the OP and me are the only ones that didn't like the first movie and thought Ben Stiller's character should have been beaten with a ballpeen hammer for being so stupid. I don't think I laughed once at the first movie, and am still incredulous that a sequel was greenlit.

And even taking into account the first one's fans, that's still a lot of money.
Old 01-03-05, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,808 Likes on 1,129 Posts
Originally Posted by thematahara
Studies have proven that people do not share one opinion and may in fact have different tastes in food, clothes, books, music, cars, and yes, even movies.
Only in dvtalk is there an attitude that anyone who doesn't love what they love is stupid or beneath them. The rest of the world likes what it likes.

Besides, MTF was funny movie and decent flick.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.