Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Why are people going to see Meet the Fockers?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Why are people going to see Meet the Fockers?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-05, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Only in dvtalk is there an attitude that anyone who doesn't love what they love is stupid or beneath them. The rest of the world likes what it likes.
If only that were true. Sorry to say, dvdtalk is one of the tamer places when it comes to that attitude. Probably why I post here as opposed to Chud or AiCN.
Old 01-03-05, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A) It's the sequel to a popular movie.
B) It has actors in it that people like to see.
C) There haven't been very many wide releases in the past few weeks, so Meet the Fockers has had the box office pretty much to itself.

I think that pretty much sums it up.
Old 01-03-05, 12:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Kind of difficult for the bulk of the country to see "Hotel Rwanda" even if they wanted to. It's not playing anywhere near me, and I live in a big market (with a whole mess of indie movie screens).

Not that the numbers would be comparable even given the same number of screens for each, but it's still not like moviegoers are making that exact choice.
Old 01-03-05, 03:26 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by milo bloom
Seems like the OP and me are the only ones that didn't like the first movie and thought Ben Stiller's character should have been beaten with a ballpeen hammer for being so stupid. I don't think I laughed once at the first movie, and am still incredulous that a sequel was greenlit.

And even taking into account the first one's fans, that's still a lot of money.
I didn't care so much for the first one either (it was alright, but nothing i'd rewatch very often) ... was home for holidays and people I was going to movies with wanted to see it.. I laughed quite a bit, can see why people are telling thier friends to go see it.
Old 01-03-05, 04:33 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,802 Likes on 1,125 Posts
Originally Posted by jaeufraser
If only that were true. Sorry to say, dvdtalk is one of the tamer places when it comes to that attitude. Probably why I post here as opposed to Chud or AiCN.

I only mention dvdtalk because I don't hang at those other places either.
Old 01-03-05, 05:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Just wait- the next movie will be huge!!

Meet Our Little Fockers!
Old 01-03-05, 05:43 AM
Premium Member

Received 694 Likes on 464 Posts
Originally Posted by gcribbs
Just wait- the next movie will be huge!!

Meet Our Little Fockers!
Well the obvious would be..

"Pam, the Mother Focker".
Old 01-03-05, 07:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I understand the OP's point. The average response seems to be "it's decent" which isn't the kind of response most record setting movies get. I attribute it mostly to low expectations and lousy competition.
Old 01-03-05, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 203 Likes on 157 Posts
While I hate to agree with the masses, Fockers is a pretty funny movie. The only sad part is knowing this is what De Niro and Hoffman have to do nowadays to get a hit. Then again, they seem to enjoy it, so no harm done.
Old 01-03-05, 08:32 AM

Saw it this weekend and it was great. I kinda liked it better than the first one.
Old 01-03-05, 08:55 AM
Banned

You may as well ask why half the country voted for Bush. It makes just as much sense.
Old 01-03-05, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Deftones
because it is funny?
Old 01-03-05, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Fartface
You may as well ask why half the country voted for Bush. It makes just as much sense.
Old 01-03-05, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Meet the Fockers is a sequel? To what?

Yes. To answer your question, I live under a rock. I also don't like Ben Stiller.
Old 01-03-05, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Actually, I was wondering the same thing...but for a different reason.

I didn't find Meet the Parents to be funny at all..

Apparently, I was the only one.
Old 01-03-05, 12:44 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I thought Meet the Parents was highly overrated. It had a few amusing scenes, but I didn't think it was the laugh riot everyone else did. It was just a bit too contrived for me. Meet the Fockers, on the other hand, I found hilarious.

For the record, this is what is playing in my town right now:
BLADE TRINITY
CHRISTMAS WITH THE KRANKS
DARKNESS
FAT ALBERT
FLIGHT OF THE PHOENIX
Lemony Snickets A Series of Unfortunate Events
MEET THE FOCKERS
NATIONAL TREASURE
OCEANS TWELVE
SPANGLISH
THE INCREDIBLES
THE POLAR EXPRESS

We won't get the big acclaimed pictures for a few weeks at least, most I'll probably have to wait to see on DVD.
Old 01-03-05, 01:28 PM

It's a crowd-pleaser for families, released during a holiday when families gather and go see movies. Duh.

All those who have trouble comprehending its success are not nearly as intelligent as their stuck-up "I only watch quality pheeeeelms" mentality would lead them to believe.
Old 01-03-05, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mimi
It's a crowd-pleaser for families, released during a holiday when families gather and go see movies. Duh.

All those who have trouble comprehending its success are not nearly as intelligent as their stuck-up "I only watch quality pheeeeelms" mentality would lead them to believe.
Just the 3rd day of 2005 and already we have Post of the Year.
Old 01-03-05, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by wmansir
I understand the OP's point. The average response seems to be "it's decent" which isn't the kind of response most record setting movies get. I attribute it mostly to low expectations and lousy competition.
Honestly, the average response I seem to be hearing is it's hilarious, and funnier than the first one. Which seems to make more sense with how well it's doing.

Last edited by jaeufraser; 01-03-05 at 03:48 PM.
Old 01-04-05, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Old 01-04-05, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I liked the movie and thought it was very funny at times, but for families? Maybe for families with grown children perhaps. Is there 5 minute stretch in the whole film without a joke about sex, virginity, or foreskin? That was the main criticism I have of the movie.
Old 01-04-05, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Families can mean more than people with small children.

I haven't seen the new movie, but I saw the original with my father and my two sons, the older being in high school now. If the new one has language that's more sexually explicit (and that they would object to) than the origial, that's something people might not discover until after they've seen the movie.

And, oftentimes, during Christmas breaks, family can mean extended family which would include, like you said, grown kids, sisters, brothers, aunts, uncles, whathaveyou.
Old 01-04-05, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 443 Likes on 250 Posts
I'm surprised when intelligent, adult films do well, not something like Meet the Fockers.
Old 01-04-05, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by taa455
I liked the movie and thought it was very funny at times, but for families? Maybe for families with grown children perhaps. Is there 5 minute stretch in the whole film without a joke about sex, virginity, or foreskin? That was the main criticism I have of the movie.
I agree, I didn't enjoy the movie mainly because every joke revolved around sex, and I also wouldn't reccomend it to a family for this reason. A "family film" generally signifies the film is appropriate for all ages. Also when families get together over the holiday's it generally means from all generations very young to very old.

And BigDan I would definitely say the sequel is more explicit than the original. The first was more subtle about sex, referencing it or using it in jokes in clever methods, and overall most of the film didn't revolve around sex. The sequel is more in your face with sex jokes, Barbara Streisand plays a sex therapist for seniors, her and Dustin Hoffman are overtly sexual, and other jokes include a "foreskin" moment and how Ben Stiller lost his virginity.
Old 01-04-05, 11:09 PM

It is a family film, but I think it's a family film for older families, like the ones portrayed in the film. Those groups not only won't be offended by hte humor, but they surely can relate to the story much better also. It's obvious that's who this film is intended for, not small children.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.