Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

So I just bought Garden State...

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-04, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

(along with Shaun of the Dead & Napoleon Dynamite) and watched the whole DVD. All the way through. All the the movie, the deleted scenes, the deleted scenes with commentary on, the outakes/bloopers, the making of the movie, and then again, the movie, but with comentary from Zach and Natalie! All of this without getting up for a bathroom break. That's almost 6 hours of movie greatness!!

Anyways, my point was to say this is a wonderful DVD, a truly great film, and one that everyone should own.

For those who have watched the deleted scenes, who here slightly disagrees with Zach on cutting the great Andrew/Gideon talk in the bathroom? I understand his points, in which it would have dramaticly slowed the film, and that it would possibly push off a certain audience, but I think that scene was just brilliant on all grounds, and would have made the film even more wonderful, if that is actually possible.

Just thought I'd pass that along. Wonder if anyone else feels the same?

Love the movie!
Old 12-30-04, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The film is truly great. I think critics reviews were mostly mixed because most critics are older than the targeted audience in the film (Hence why they drool over Sideways). It was a great film and the deleted scenes were pretty good but I like the version we have. After seeing the movie twice in the theatre, then listening to the soundtrack everyday and then getting the movie and finally watching it again...well I want to see it again.
Old 12-30-04, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
I think critics reviews were mostly mixed because most critics are older than the targeted audience in the film (Hence why they drool over Sideways).
I think you're remembering things wrong. The reviews for "Garden State" were overwhelmingly positive, and it stands at 88 percent fresh at Rotten Tomatoes.
Old 12-30-04, 10:52 PM

I am also a fan of the film, and yes, I agree that the deleted scene with Andrew and his dad is the best deleted out of the bunch. I like Ian Holm, and recently viewing The Sweet Hereafter for the first time, I think is just an incredible actor to watch, but I agree with Zach Braff's reasons for the scene being cut, but it's a little sad to see Holm get such small screen time. Every time a post comes about this movie, I have to write about how adorable Natalie Portman is in this movie. She makes me just want crawl into the screen, and giver her a great big hug.
Old 12-30-04, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I thought it was a fantastic movie. It was one of those movies where immediately after watching it, I wanted to watch it again.
Old 12-30-04, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
I think you're remembering things wrong. The reviews for "Garden State" were overwhelmingly positive, and it stands at 88 percent fresh at Rotten Tomatoes.
Perhaps I'm mistaking. I'm remember my local newspaper critic was not thrilled about it.
Old 12-30-04, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts
Love this movie so much. As for deleted scenes, I think he should have left the end tub scene with Natalie Portman intact. I like that part when he breaks down crying, even for just a split second. His emotions seemed more complete. But, that is really a minor nitpick.
Old 12-31-04, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

so what hopes for awards does this have.....any awards....i know the Soundtrack is nominated for a grammy
Old 12-31-04, 12:15 AM

Originally Posted by Cameron
so what hopes for awards does this have.....any awards....i know the Soundtrack is nominated for a grammy
Perhaps, Oscar will give a original screeenplay nod, that is the only thing I expect for the film.
Old 12-31-04, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I agree with the statements of this being one of the best soundtracks to a movie ever!
Old 12-31-04, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
The soundtrack was amazing and should get praise just for that alone.

One hell of a good movie.
Old 12-31-04, 12:39 AM

I agree the soundtrack just blew me away. I bought it the day after I saw the film and I still cant stop listening to it. As for the dvd its probably my most anticipated of the year. Cant wait to see what Braff comes up with next. Hope this wins some awards!
Old 12-31-04, 01:06 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
I think critics reviews were mostly mixed because most critics are older than the targeted audience in the film (Hence why they drool over Sideways).
The critics generally gave this high marks(and Sideways is a better film.)
Old 12-31-04, 09:05 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts
i would have watched and enjoyed the movie with every deleted scene cut back in. those were the same ilk as the movie itself. it isn't a fast paced movie by any means and every scene was talking and slowish, but with a visceral depth that made the entire just shine and glow with giddy entertainment. the deleted scenes were exactly the same and i would have sat through this the many times i plan too, even at 2.5 or 3 hours running time!
Old 12-31-04, 10:12 AM
Retired

Yep great flick. I didn't disagree with the cutting of any of the deleted scens. The one with Holm was the best of the bunch, but it would have slowed the pacing too much, and I didn't find Holm's performance all that great in it anyway.

I agree about the soundtrack. Best I've heard recently. I bought it immediately after I left the theater.
Old 12-31-04, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Austin, Texas XboxLIVE Gamertag: Golucky Timezone: Central (CST)
Great flick/DVD/ and Extras! I just about watched everthing except the commentry with the crew.

I agree with Zach on his reasons for cutting the scene in the bathroom with his dad!

I think it's funny that Natalie can't stand her own cute smile. She keeps metioning it in the commentary.
Old 12-31-04, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I too bought Garden State on dvd the other and love the movie even more. I saw the film in the theater and now I can watch it over and over. I am noticing more of the details and how funny the jokes are. I wasn't a fan of Natile Portman before, but now she is awesome because of this role.
Old 12-31-04, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just watched it for the 6th time in 2 days.
Old 12-31-04, 09:24 PM
sdk

I loved this film, this years lost in translation. And that is saying a lot comming from me.
Old 01-01-05, 05:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Amazing movie.

I really liked the deleted scene of Large walking up the escalator next to the guy on the stair climber. I thought it was pretty funny. I kinda wish that scene was kept in the film.
Old 01-01-05, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I am a huge Scrubs fan and love Zach Braff and Natalie Portman, but really did not enjoy this at all. I don't understand why so many people are so intrigued by this film. I think that based on all of the good word of mouth, I might have went in with too high expectations.
Old 01-01-05, 07:31 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by movieking
I am a huge Scrubs fan and love Zach Braff and Natalie Portman, but really did not enjoy this at all. I don't understand why so many people are so intrigued by this film. I think that based on all of the good word of mouth, I might have went in with too high expectations.
It's good yet still one of the year's most overrated films. The whole thing plays like Indie Filmmaking 101, Ian Holm is wasted and some of the attempts at humor are obvious and uninspired. Braff does quite well for his first time out though.
Old 01-01-05, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well Im in the group who truly enjoyed this movie. When it came out in the theatres, it didnt do much for me so I passed. So my wife wanted to pick it up on dvd today, and I never say no when my wife wants to buy a dvd because its like hell freezing over. Watched it tonight and absolutely loved it. The soundtrack was great as well. Havent got to the extras or deleted scenes yet, but Im looking forward to getting to watch them, especially the commentary by Braff and Portman.
Old 01-01-05, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Rivero
It's good yet still one of the year's most overrated films. The whole thing plays like Indie Filmmaking 101, Ian Holm is wasted and some of the attempts at humor are obvious and uninspired. Braff does quite well for his first time out though.
Wow, I totally disagree. I think most first time Indie Filmakers would kill to have as much talent as Braff shows in this, his first film. He shows that he has a great flair for dialogue, story, music, editing, and a wonderful visual style.

Hell, most Hollywood directors don't seem to have as much talent in putting together as good a film as this. Nothing about this film felt amature to me.
Old 01-02-05, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Rivero
The whole thing plays like Indie Filmmaking 101...
Then I would have to say that Braff just scored an A+ and graduated with flying colors from University Of Making Great Debuts.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.