DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   The New World (new Terrence Malick) Fall '05 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/402012-new-world-new-terrence-malick-fall-05-a.html)

FinkPish 12-09-04 12:00 PM

The New World Trailer

http://www.thenewworldmovie.com/

Directed by Terrence Malik. About John Smith & Pocahontas in 17th century America.

Looks great, though Malik looks like he stole a couple of his own shots from The Thin Red Line. Also, I'll see Wes Studi in anything.

woofman 12-09-04 02:17 PM

Interesting, LOVED The Thin Red Line. Hope this is as good or better.

SomeVoices 12-09-04 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by woofman
Interesting, LOVED The Thin Red Line. Hope this is as good or better.

:thumbsup:
When I first heard what this movie was about I wasn't very excited, but that trailer makes it look like it could be good. I'm not a big Farrel fan either, but maybe I'll change my opinion after seeing this movie.

Geofferson 12-09-04 04:32 PM

:up:

bhk 12-09-04 04:34 PM

Ehh, not interested.

PopcornTreeCt 12-09-04 04:38 PM

Don't really know what to think. There was nothing in there that indicated the plot or anything. While I enjoyed The Thin Red Line I'm holding my reservations about this film.

FinkPish 12-09-04 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
Don't really know what to think. There was nothing in there that indicated the plot or anything. While I enjoyed The Thin Red Line I'm holding my reservations about this film.

Yeah, this trailer reminded me of the first Thin Red Line trailer, which was mostly images and music. I really liked that one, because it was so cryptic, so unlike most theatrical trailers.

jaeufraser 12-09-04 05:07 PM

I was worried post Thin Red Line it'd be another 20 years for another Malick movie. 7 ain't too bad, so I'm looking forward to this. Loved Thin Red Line, love Days of Heaven. Looking forward to this.

LBCrazyFool 12-09-04 05:37 PM

Looking forward to this movie. It was filmed a few minutes from my house.

Duder 12-09-04 08:22 PM

I really didn't like Thin Red Line, but I recognized the talent behind it, and I'm already interested in this.

fumanstan 12-09-04 08:45 PM

Saw this in front of Blade Trinity. Not interesting to me at all.

Sessa17 12-09-04 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Saw this in front of Blade Trinity. Not interesting to me at all.

Same here on both counts. I just can't stand Farrel, maybe the most boring leading man today. He brings nothing to he screen & is only pushed so heavily by the media b/c of his looks. Also think TRL was one of the most overrated movies of the past few years. Critics loved it b/c it tried to be intellectual & philosphical but but it was actually pretentious & empty.

Third Baseman 12-09-04 09:14 PM

Oh Man! Great trailer. Movie shoots up on my "cant wait for" list! :up:

The movie also has Christian Bale! :up:

SomeVoices 12-10-04 02:00 AM

Originally Posted by Third Baseman

I was unaware of this, but it's good to hear. And is this supposed to be an early 2005 release or later on in the year?

Kal-El 12-10-04 02:26 AM

Originally Posted by FinkPish
http://www.thenewworldmovie.com/

-Directed by Terrence Malik.
-he stole a couple of his own shots from The Thin Red Line.

Well there's more than enough reason for me to skip this.

Terrell 12-10-04 04:09 AM

Jesus! Colin Ferrell has got to be the most overexposed actor in Hollywood. I like the guy okay, but I'm getting sick of seeing his face in every other film.

Third Baseman 12-10-04 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by SomeVoices
I was unaware of this, but it's good to hear. And is this supposed to be an early 2005 release or later on in the year?

IMDb says November 05.

Big Worms 12-10-04 09:24 AM

A little hard to tell from the trailer, but it does look like it would be worth a rental.

Coral 12-10-04 01:58 PM

It is hard to tell from the trailer, but it really has the Malick feel and mood... which I love.

Loved the fact there was no voices in the trailer.

Hopefully it's a thoughtful as his other films.

I'm really looking forward to it, and I'm not really much of a Colin Farel fan either.

darqleo 12-10-04 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by Third Baseman

You had me at Christian Bale. I'm so there.

Gerry P. 12-10-04 11:31 PM

This is my must see movie for 2005.

cfloyd3 12-10-04 11:58 PM

The name Terrence Malick sells me. Didn't care that much for The Thin Red Line but Badlands and Days of Heaven are two of my favorites.

Grimfarrow 12-11-04 01:48 AM

Geez, the trailer music in borrowed from 2046, which in turn is borrowed from...ach, I forgot already! But can't they start making SOME original music for trailers?

Duder 12-11-04 04:06 AM

I checked out the IMDB information for this, and it looks like the actress who plays Pocahontas is 14 years old.

:up: to the producers who are being more historically accurate than past movies in this regard.

Jepthah 12-12-04 11:15 PM

My #1 must-see movie of 2005. I expect that Malick's take on this story will make all other cinematic renditions seem irrelevant.