Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Flash (2023, D: Muschietti) - S: Miller, Keaton and Affleck

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Flash (2023, D: Muschietti) - S: Miller, Keaton and Affleck

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-23, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 978 Likes on 689 Posts
Re: The Flash (2023, D: Muschietti) - S: Miller, Keaton and Affleck

Just my opinion, but dancing around a spoiler like that kind of is a spoiler.
Old 05-25-23, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by rocket1312
Just my opinion, but dancing around a spoiler like that kind of is a spoiler.
I am so tempted to reply to your post with a pun using the cameo actor's last name.
Old 05-25-23, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Location: Formerly known as L. Ron zyzzle - On a cloud of Judgement
Received 1,825 Likes on 1,226 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
I'm down for that spoiler. The director talked about enjoying working with the actor in question for said role, so it seems legit unless his tongue was planted firmly in cheek.
i'd be happy to see it, and I clicked on the spoiler link after it was corrected, so clearly I don't GAF about knowing. Actually, it makes it seem better to me to know, if true.
Old 05-26-23, 03:50 AM

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts

This spoiler isn’t
Spoiler:
Keaton’s Batmobile

is it?

Old 05-26-23, 04:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 399 Likes on 299 Posts

I clicked on the spoiler and if it’s true that’s awesome.
Old 05-26-23, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by CristonCole
This spoiler isn’t
Spoiler:
Keaton’s Batmobile

is it?

No, it's something much more glorious.
Old 05-31-23, 06:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Here's Keaton's theme for this movie.

And here's another track (the main theme perhaps?) from the movie.

And, given the title, this probably plays as he's saving the day during the opening action sequence.

Old 05-31-23, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,936 Likes on 1,497 Posts

I'm still curious how they craft this multiverse (though it probably doesn't matter in the long run). Like Flash goes back in time to save his mom and inadvertently changes the timeline, splintering off a different "present" where Superman isn't around, Zod takes over, Supergirl is here instead, there's a second Barry Allen, I get all that, but why is Bruce older and a completely different person (unless he's pulled in from somewhere else)? At first I thought he might be
Spoiler:
Thomas Wayne
but that would kind of defeat the purpose of the return.
Old 05-31-23, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 909 Likes on 671 Posts

I'm assuming they just used the Spiderman excuse. "What you did opened a rift in the multiverse!!!"
Old 05-31-23, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Noonan
I'm assuming they just used the Spiderman excuse. "What you did opened a rift in the multiverse!!!"
Right, I think given the other spoiler that's probably the case. But Wally going back in time and changing the past couldn't change who Bruce is, since Bruce would've been born before that. Or maybe he does some other "The Time Machine" stuff further back or whatever. I would totally buy just a multiverse explanation instead though.
Old 05-31-23, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by fujishig
Right, I think given the other spoiler that's probably the case. But Wally going back in time and changing the past couldn't change who Bruce is, since Bruce would've been born before that. Or maybe he does some other "The Time Machine" stuff further back or whatever. I would totally buy just a multiverse explanation instead though.
Barry created ripples in time that went both forward and backwards. At least that's how it was explained in the animated movie.

Here's a more in depth explanation from the comic series, Flashpoint.

​​​​​​​The Reverse-Flash reveals that Flash himself created the Flashpoint timeline by traveling back in time to stop him from killing Barry's mother. Barry pulled the entire Speed Force into himself to stop Thawne, transforming the timeline by shattering the history of his allies. Thawne resets Barry's internal vibrations, enabling him to remember this. According to Thawne, these actions transformed him into a living paradox, no longer requiring Barry to exist and allowing him to kill the Flash without erasing his own existence. Thawne continues to taunt Barry with this knowledge until Batman kills him with an Amazonian sword. As the fight continues, Superman arrives and begins to aid the heroes, first by landing hard enough to crush the Enchantress under his feet. Thomas insists that Barry put history back to normal to undo the millions of deaths. Meanwhile, Cyborg detects seismic activity which he claims could destroy the world. Waves start to approach. Now knowing the point of divergence, the Flash restores the timeline. As he enters the timestream, a dying Thomas thanks him for giving his son a second chance and gives Barry a letter addressed to Bruce. Barry then meets with his mother and bids a tearful farewell to her.

Last edited by RocShemp; 05-31-23 at 05:58 PM.
Old 06-03-23, 03:59 PM

Received 4,579 Likes on 3,099 Posts

“The Flash” is almost here, and the rollout has been anything but typical.

With just 13 days to go before the film’s June 16 release, titular star Ezra Miller has done no press and will make a low-profile appearance at the Los Angeles premiere on June 12, only posing for photos rather than doing interviews. The film’s director, Andy Muschietti, and cast members Ben Affleck, Sasha Calle and Michael Shannon will also hit the red carpet that will be missing the standard press gauntlet. (The film’s Michael Keaton and fellow DC Universe superhero Jason Momoa will miss the premiere as they are filming movies in London and New Zealand, respectively.)

Typically, the star of a $190 million tentpole will promote the film in interviews across print, TV and oftentimes podcasts spanning multiple continents. (Harrison Ford has been ubiquitous in the run-up to the June 30 bow of “Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny,” including a high-profile showing at the Cannes Film Festival.)

“Ezra wants the movie to open and the conversation to be about the movie and not about Ezra,” a source close to Miller explains. “They are focused on their mental health and don’t want it to be transactional.” (Miller uses they/them pronouns.)

Warner Bros. is attempting to pull off an unprecedented feat by taking its latest DC offering into the global marketplace without any promotion from its star, who was mired in controversy following arrests and erratic behavior but who has stayed out of trouble since last summer after seeking treatment for “complex mental health issues” following “a time of intense crisis.”

But will Miller’s lack of shilling hurt “The Flash’s” box office prospects? The answer appears to be no. The film is tracking for an estimated $75 million opening, higher than 2018’s standalone “Aquaman,” which went on to earn $1.15 billion worldwide after gaining huge momentum abroad. In lieu of Miller’s junketing, Warners has been aggressive with its advertising, putting the film’s trailer into heavy rotation during the NBA and NHL playoffs.

Warners’ decision to throw one premiere only, just four days ahead of the film’s release, has raised eyebrows around town. But a knowledgeable source explains that the move had little to do with Miller and was made “to keep the ‘secret ending’ under wraps.” The version that screened at CinemaCon in April ended abruptly, with a chunk of the final scene missing. At screenings on the Burbank lot this week, the final scene was intact, but Warners blurred out key elements. In fact, the final scene was changed multiple times pre-CinemaCon, the source adds. At the height of Miller’s PR problems, Warners was looking to keep its options open with regards to the future trajectory of the speedster.

For additional PR exposure, Warners is hosting “Flash” screenings — sans Miller — in key cities including one tonight in London that Keaton will introduce as well as events in Toronto, Miami, Buenos Aires, Madrid and Sao Paolo with Muschetti. The studio also has launched a massive word-of-mouth screening program with 400 across the United States and Canada.

Though Warners never announced it, the studio already has a finished sequel script from David Leslie Johnson-McGoldrick (“Aquaman”) if a Part 2 is in the cards. That script is said to have guest-starred Keaton’s Batman and Calle’s new Supergirl. Muschetti, for one, wouldn’t consider recasting Barry Allen/The Flash. “If [a sequel] happens, yes,” Muschietti told the Discourse podcast about bringing back Miller. “I don’t think there’s anyone that can play that character as well as they did. The other depictions of the character are great, but this particular vision of the character, they just excelled in doing it. It feels like a character that was made for them.”
https://variety.com/2023/film/news/t...el-1235632040/
Old 06-04-23, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,155 Likes on 901 Posts

Supposedly there’s a secret ending WB is trying to save until the film hits. Not sure if it’s been in the early screenings or not. I’ve avoided spoilers to date and hope to until I get a chance to see the movie.
Old 06-04-23, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Rival11
So there are rumors going around that
Spoiler:
Cage's Superman

is going to make a cameo - I am so down for that if true.
I kind of figured that was going to be the cameo they were withholding, but I thought a real draw-dropper would be
Spoiler:
Will Reeve with his father's face deepfaked onto his as Superman.

Old 06-08-23, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well now I'm hearing the rumor I mentioned has changed to
Spoiler:
George Clooney's Batman making the appearance at the end instead

I've officially lost interest now (in just the rumor, not the movie) lol...it will probably change five more times until it comes out.
Old 06-08-23, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,192 Likes on 4,219 Posts

The two hosts of The Big Picture indicate that they saw this film and think it's hot garbage. In their Into The Spider-Verse podcast they kept talking about how much better this was than another film they saw the same day that tried to do almost the same thing, but did it much worse. That bums me out.
Anyway, we will know soon enough.
Old 06-08-23, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
The two hosts of The Big Picture indicate that they saw this film and think it's hot garbage. In their Into The Spider-Verse podcast they kept talking about how much better this was than another film they saw the same day that tried to do almost the same thing, but did it much worse. That bums me out.
Which seems weird because quite a few reviews are gushing about how good it is.
Old 06-08-23, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,192 Likes on 4,219 Posts

I usually trust them. And Sean Fennissey gave Into the Spider-Verse his first review since 2019. So it's not like he's a snob against superhero movies.
It currently sits at a Metacritic score of 61 with 29 reviews, which isn't bad but isn't great either.
Old 06-08-23, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

Christy Lemire and Alonso Duralde, who are both film critics, saw an early screening a couple of days ago and they did not like it at all. Lemire writes for Roger Ebert’s website. They both liked the new Transformers movie better.

Old 06-09-23, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Spoiler:

I've officially lost interest now (in just the rumor, not the movie) lol...it will probably change five more times until it comes out.
What's funny is that scene was rumoured back before Gunn ever took over, yet there are DC fans blaming Gunn for it. Love it or hate it, Gunn had nothing to to with this movie or its content. He's blameless in all this.

As for the scene itself, it sounds like an amusing end tag and nothing more. The problem is people seemed to have built up the idea this was to end with a major DCEU to DCU segue.
Old 06-09-23, 04:47 AM

Spoiler:

It’s not changed, it’s two different things. One of which was apparently held back from early screenings.
Old 06-09-23, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah, I don't care about Gunn (I mean that in a good way) and I know he had nothing to do with this film. I trust in his abilities for the upcoming Superman and Batman films, I just like many others, wish Cavill could have stuck around for his own, separate Superman movies like Pattinson is with his Batman.

As for my spoilers....both are happening??
Old 06-09-23, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Decker
Originally Posted by DJariya
Christy Lemire and Alonso Duralde, who are both film critics, saw an early screening a couple of days ago and they did not like it at all. Lemire writes for Roger Ebert’s website. They both liked the new Transformers movie better.

https://youtu.be/wZV_t0aahyw
Assuming these are not the same review, both say spiderverse did it better, so maybe even after moving it back this much it's unfortunate timing once again. Does seem like it relies on fanservice to carry the middle, but we'll see. Well I won't see, at least for a few months, but I'm sure you guys will tell me.
Old 06-09-23, 12:51 PM

As for my spoilers....both are happening??
Yes... and there are more than just those two.
The following users liked this post:
Rival11 (06-13-23)
Old 06-12-23, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

Ezra Miller showed up at The Flash premiere tonight

Early IMAX screenings start tonight. But, considering it's a Monday, probably doubtful anyone here is making their way to see one.
The following users liked this post:
Kurt D (06-12-23)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.