Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Flash (2023, D: Muschietti) - S: Miller, Keaton and Affleck

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Flash (2023, D: Muschietti) - S: Miller, Keaton and Affleck

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-23, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts
Re: The Flash (2023, D: Muschietti) - S: Miller, Keaton and Affleck

Some pretty cool posters. I’d love to get my hands on the Keaton Batman.

Old 02-13-23, 03:19 PM
Administrator

Received 1,068 Likes on 621 Posts

I HATED the Flashpoint event because it never gave us a "proper goodbye" to the DCU the way Final Crisis a few years prior really did. So in that sense, despite also hating the DCEU, I can actually empathize with people a little disappointed that there's not a send off to that stuff.

On the other hand, I'm really digging this because of the same reasons as everyone else.
Old 02-13-23, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,932 Likes on 1,494 Posts

Flashpoint sucked because as stated before it was shoehorned into a role it wasn't made for. Like a cool Flash alternate universe story which then progresses a Geoff Johns written Flash book is fine (like the GL line before it) but to reboot the universe and then have the New 52 just appear was like a slap in the face. Then years later bringing back a bunch of old titles/personalities for a month in Convergence was another slap in the face, because they were basically just fill in issues while DC moved offices.

Ok, done ranting (I think).
Old 02-13-23, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

I'm not quite as hype on the trailer as many here, Michael Keaton's appearance is doing a lot of the heavy lifting for the cool factor. Though seeing some form of the blue suit on screen is gratifying.
Old 02-13-23, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 624 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
I already get those vibes from this version of Supergirl -- like she's a combination of Kara and Kal-El.
Makes sense since, except for Kal-El, all DCEU Kryptonians are essentially clone variants from that Codex skull from MoS. Even though his was a natural birth, he still has shared DNA with Kara.

And now I just realized that MoS Superman is the product of incest...

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Though seeing some form of the blue suit on screen is gratifying.
Did you notice that Keaton also has a blue suit (as well as the Knightmare and BVS suits) in his collection?

Last edited by RocShemp; 02-13-23 at 05:29 PM.
The following users liked this post:
PhantomStranger (02-16-23)
Old 02-13-23, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

I defintiely think there's a chance Bale makes an apperance
Old 02-14-23, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

The Batman & Supergirl parts look good.
Old 02-14-23, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,650 Likes on 1,031 Posts

Originally Posted by ytrez
The Batman & Supergirl parts look good.
I agree. Which is weird for a "Flash" movie.

LOL and I just realized we have another DCEU movie that's all about the hero's relationship with their mother. So that's Superman, Batman, Aquaman and now the Flash. I suppose Wonder Woman could be in there too but it's not as prominent.
Old 02-14-23, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 398 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
I agree. Which is weird for a "Flash" movie.

LOL and I just realized we have another DCEU movie that's all about the hero's relationship with their mother. So that's Superman, Batman, Aquaman and now the Flash. I suppose Wonder Woman could be in there too but it's not as prominent.
Since the MCU is all about daddy issues, they needed a different approach.
IBJoel (02-14-23)
Old 02-14-23, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,197 Likes on 2,064 Posts

Originally Posted by Runaway
Uh yeah, they are taking a completely different approach. They’re doing mommy issues.
Old 02-14-23, 10:34 AM

Received 4,578 Likes on 3,099 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
Uh yeah, they are taking a completely different approach. They’re doing mommy issues.
Martha!!!
Old 02-14-23, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Runaway
It is? Who besides Iron Man and Star Lord are we talking about?
Old 02-14-23, 12:51 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by dex14
martha!!!
WHY DID YOU SAY THAT NAME?! djsdijf
Old 02-14-23, 12:53 PM

Received 4,578 Likes on 3,099 Posts

It is? Who besides Iron Man and Star Lord are we talking about?
Thor & Loki... Shang-Chi... Gamora & Nebula... Peter Parker... Hope van Dyne... Black Panther... Black Widow...
Old 02-14-23, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by dex14
Thor & Loki... Shang-Chi... Gamora & Nebula... Peter Parker... Hope van Dyne... Black Panther... Black Widow...
I'll give you Shang-Chi but I meant where the father himself is central to the plot (like it seems to be with Flash's mother and why he's doing what he's doing). Not "characters who have fathers".
Old 02-14-23, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Location: Formerly known as L. Ron zyzzle - On a cloud of Judgement
Received 1,825 Likes on 1,226 Posts

I'll give you Shang-Chi but I meant where the father himself is central to the plot (like it seems to be with Flash's mother and why he's doing what he's doing). Not "characters who have fathers".
kinda hard to argue Thanos wasn't central to a plot or two ...
Old 02-14-23, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts

Umm...how is Thanos (Gamora and Nebula) not central to the plot or their characters motivations?
Old 02-14-23, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Kurt D
kinda hard to argue Thanos wasn't central to a plot or two ...
Gamora and Nebula aren't the title characters of their movies. And "daddy issues" didn't really drive the plot with Thanos.

The point I'm making is that "Martha" was central to both Batman and Superman in their movie together, Aquaman's mom was a main character in his movie and now The Flash is destroying the world because of his mom.
Old 02-14-23, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts

I suppose one could argue that Diana's "mother" was also pretty central to her motivation.
IBJoel (02-14-23)
Old 02-14-23, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts

Oh, and let's not forget Shazam's mother.
IBJoel (02-14-23)
Old 02-14-23, 01:37 PM
Administrator

Gamora and Nebula aren't the title characters of their movies. And "daddy issues" didn't really drive the plot with Thanos.

The point I'm making is that "Martha" was central to both Batman and Superman in their movie together, Aquaman's mom was a main character in his movie and now The Flash is destroying the world because of his mom.
  • Thanos' abusiveness is a factor in the character decisions made by Nebula and Gamora throughout the MCU in the same way Flash's mom's death is the driver of his actions
  • Also Star-Lord and his dad in more or less the same premise as Shang-Chi
  • Iron Man and his dad drive Iron Man 2 as well as his relationship with his own daughter driving his decisions in Endgame
  • Spider-Man's decisions to go out of his depth in Homecoming are because he wants to impress his perceived father figure and looking for a new father figure in Far From Home leads to what he does there
  • T'Challa's relationship with his father drives both the B-Plot in Civil War and Black Panther
While these dads may not all be directly involved in the literal plot progression, they are why the plots happen because of character motivation and how they make decisions. They are central to the story being told, same as BvS and Flash
John Pannozzi (05-03-23)
Old 02-14-23, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by IBJoel
  • Thanos' abusiveness is a factor in the character decisions made by Nebula and Gamora throughout the MCU in the same way Flash's mom's death is the driver of his actions
That's fine, but you can remove them and get almost the exact same story with Thanos.

• Also Star-Lord and his dad in more or less the same premise as Shang-Chi
  • Iron Man and his dad drive Iron Man 2 as well as his relationship with his own daughter driving his decisions in Endgame

I brought up Iron Man already and conceded on Shang-Chi. That doesn't mean ALL of the MCU is about daddy issues. Whereas my point stands that moms are apparently central to almost all DCEU movies so far.

• Spider-Man's decisions to go out of his depth in Homecoming are because he wants to impress his perceived father figure and looking for a new father figure in Far From Home leads to what he does there
I'd argue that those movies are about the LACK of a father figure.

• T'Challa's relationship with his father drives both the B-Plot in Civil War and Black Panther
T'Challa is more about his duty to his country and his people over his father. His father's death is just what put him on the throne.

While these dads may not all be directly involved in the literal plot progression, they are why the plots happen because of character motivation and how they make decisions. They are central to the story being told, same as BvS and Flash
But again, remove the father character from most of those movies and you get the same thing. Without "Martha", Batman kills Superman and without his mom defending him, Aquaman dies as a baby. And I only see the trailer for The Flash but his mom seems pretty important to the plot. Not sure you could remove her and have the same film but we'll see.
Old 02-14-23, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 398 Likes on 321 Posts

Without T'Chakas actions Killmonger doesn't grab after the crown and T'Challa doesn't change Wakanda's policy.
Without Odin hardly anything in the first three Thor movies happens
Plus Iron Man, Star-Lord, Shang-Chi.

Most people are shaped by their parents or their absence. In the MCU the fathers are more in the focus in the DCEU it's the mothers, but not everytime. I'd say in Man of Steel Kevin Costner is more important to the plot, so is Jor-El.
The following 2 users liked this post by Runaway:
IBJoel (02-14-23), John Pannozzi (05-03-23)
Old 02-14-23, 03:46 PM
Administrator

That's fine, but you can remove them and get almost the exact same story with Thanos. (except if Nebula doesn't try to kill Thanos pre-Infinity War, he doesn't capture her and doesn't learn the location of the Soul Stone)
I brought up Iron Man already and conceded on Shang-Chi. That doesn't mean ALL of the MCU is about daddy issues. Whereas my point stands that moms are apparently central to almost all DCEU movies so far.
I'd argue that those movies are about the LACK of a father figure. (still a daddy issue)
T'Challa is more about his duty to his country and his people over his father. His father's death is just what put him on the throne. (and also why he brings Zemo into custody and also T'Chaka's and T'Challa's conversation in the realm of the ancestors changes how T'Challa perceives Wakanda's place in the world)
But again, remove the father character from most of those movies and you get the same thing. Without "Martha", Batman kills Superman and without his mom defending him, Aquaman dies as a baby. And I only see the trailer for The Flash but his mom seems pretty important to the plot. Not sure you could remove her and have the same film but we'll see.
Without Martha, Superman could say, "You're a good person, Bruce" and Batman stops and they're friends just like in the movie. Without his mom, Jango Fett can hide Aquaman and he grows up with a chip on his shoulder just like the movie. Without his mom dead, Flash can go back in time try and stop Hitler and screws up the timeline just like in the movie. You can write anything to be anything, but you have to take works as they are.
Old 02-14-23, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,932 Likes on 1,494 Posts

Hold on... Superman and Peacemaker both have daddy issues (and Superman has two daddies). Deadshot and Black Adam are both daddies and that is their primary motivation. Wonder Woman's daddy is a key point in the first movie. Polka Dot man has mommy issues and Ratcatcher (II) is like the only one with a loving father.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.