Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Flash (2023, D: Muschietti) - S: Miller, Keaton and Affleck

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Flash (2023, D: Muschietti) - S: Miller, Keaton and Affleck

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-15, 11:08 AM

Received 4,583 Likes on 3,102 Posts
re: The Flash (2023, D: Muschietti) - S: Miller, Keaton and Affleck

We've also recently learned, thanks to a source who has inside information on the movie, that the filmmakers behind The Flash have a quite specific look in mind as they design the superhero's outfit.

Understandably, they're seeking to avoid "any comparison to the well designed and received TV version," we're told. To ring the changes, they're aiming to create a more "tech-based" suit that will look quite different from the burgundy leather outfit designed by Colleen Atwood for the series. Instead, this one will look more "like armor."

When it comes to The Flash's movie costume, a comparison has been made to the version of the hero seen in the videogame Injustice: Gods Among Us. Take a look at the images below, and you can immediately see the differences between the clean, classic-looking TV show costume (on the left), and the spiky, more aggressive one presented in the videogame (on the right):

The design choice seems to fit with the rest of the DCU we've seen so far; Superman's costume in Man Of Steel was all muted tones and tough, kevlar-like texture. In Batman v Superman, meanwhile, we'll be seeing the Caped Crusader wear both a classic cloth outfit and a heavily-armoured Batsuit -- all the better for taking on the Son of Jor-El. Even the Wonder Woman costume we've seen so far has a weighty, armor-like feel to it -- though this may not be the only outfit the warrior princess will wear through the course of the movie.

According to our source, Ezra Miller's Barry Allen is now something of a "tech geek," which also seems logical given his day-job -- that of a forensic scientist.
http://www.denofgeek.us/movies/the-f...-based-costume
Old 04-29-16, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Flash is losing director Seth Grahame-Smith according to Variety over "creative differences"

http://variety.com/2016/film/news/th...es-1201763814/
Old 04-29-16, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Not sure if that's such a bad thing especially since The Flash would've been his feature directorial debut.
Old 04-29-16, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by TheMovieman
Not sure if that's such a bad thing especially since The Flash would've been his feature directorial debut.
Experience isn't everything, Zack Snyder makes shit.
Old 04-29-16, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Wow, didn't know Smith had directing aspirations. I'm assuming Max Brooks will make the leap soon, no?
Old 04-29-16, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
Experience isn't everything
True, I just don't know if you want to take that chance. IMO, they should go after Nicolas Winding Refn.

As for Snyder, I liked Dawn of the Dead remake, Watchmen and Man of Steel (and yes even Batman v Superman, though obviously I'm in the vast minority there).
Old 04-30-16, 12:35 AM

Received 4,583 Likes on 3,102 Posts

I don't even remember seeing the news that they had hired someone to direct.
Old 04-30-16, 06:20 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TheMovieman
True, I just don't know if you want to take that chance. IMO, they should go after Nicolas Winding Refn.

As for Snyder, I liked Dawn of the Dead remake, Watchmen and Man of Steel (and yes even Batman v Superman, though obviously I'm in the vast minority there).
That's fine if you like them. THe issue would be if you thought they were really good. Talking about Mos and BvS.

I liked part of DotD. Damn near everything about Watchmen aside from some things that weren't good to do w/ it.

Last edited by Solid Snake; 04-30-16 at 06:37 AM.
Old 04-30-16, 07:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Snyder bashing in every DCCU thread!

Anyway, they should have plenty of time to find another.

Creative differences gets all the blame again.
Old 04-30-16, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Not going to get into the argument here or other DCCU threads. Pointless.
Old 04-30-16, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stingermck
Snyder bashing in every DCCU thread!
But not unsurprising since his seems to be the driving vision for the DC cinematic universe at the moment.
Old 05-20-16, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

OK, I dont mind the Snyder bashing in this one, cause I agree

Tom Cavanagh Wishes Snyder Considered Grant Gustin for DC Films' "Flash"

The Harrison Wells actor told the site, "It was either Variety or Vanity Fair that wrote an article that said [DC] needs to watch what they’re doing on TV, because the TV’s working and some of the other darker stuff isn’t working. Here’s what I’ll say about him not being The Flash. The first thing is that for Zack Snyder to say 'that’s not really the universe that we’re building,' it’s excruciating for an actor. Because you’re like, 'Uh, what about acting?' He’s a clean-cut guy and winning, yes, because he’s acting that. He’s not Barry Allen. He’s Grant Gustin. He created that thing. If you want [your Flash] to have long hair and be a slacker, believe me, Grant can play that."

Cavanagh continued, "[Gustin] makes it look easy and makes everyone think that’s what he is because he’s an incredibly skilled talent. That’s why he has that job. That’s why people like the show. If Zack Snyder were to read him for [The Flash], he would be shocked. It’s crazy for a big-time Hollywood director to say 'that’s not the universe.' It’s a huge misstep on his part. If you’re a director, and you’re worth your oats, then you should be able to, given an actor with talent, mold him into what you want, and Grant could do that."
Old 05-20-16, 09:48 AM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

i think it would be really difficult for audiences to wrap their heads around the same actor playing one version of a character on one medium and a completely different version that same character on another medium.

unless they want to go real experimental and have a really extended cinematic universe with parallel universes.
Old 05-20-16, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Nice words from Cavanaugh.

Originally Posted by HN
unless they want to go real experimental and have a really extended cinematic universe with parallel universes.
Which they've already tackled with the Flash.
Old 05-22-16, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 230 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by HN
i think it would be really difficult for audiences to wrap their heads around the same actor playing one version of a character on one medium and a completely different version that same character on another medium.

I'd buy it if the DC took place on Earth 3.
Old 05-22-16, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by HN

Or it could just be the same version, character, actor etc.

But since is Snyder it has to be DARKNESS!!!!!
Old 05-22-16, 07:39 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Having a character be in two formats in a continuous developing narrative at the same time is a bad idea.

One reason is that visually... the TV side will never match up to the film side.

Another being that a film has to hit what it has to hit in whatever length it has. TV has more time to develop things. Network TV writing and Film writing are different. It just feels different immediately. etc etc.
Old 05-22-16, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
Having a character be in two formats in a continuous developing narrative at the same time is a bad idea.

One reason is that visually... the TV side will never match up to the film side.

Another being that a film has to hit what it has to hit in whatever length it has. TV has more time to develop things. Network TV writing and Film writing are different. It just feels different immediately. etc etc.
But does it have to be? This could be a unique opportunity to try something different. Agents of Shield is in the MCU but doesnt get to play with the big toys, despite viewers wanting it.

I remember years ago when the Dark Tower film was announced, there was talk of doing several movies, and a tv show in between movies to progress the story. I thought that would be very innovative.

I don't see how Flash & Arrow couldn't be in a massive JLA team up movie, and then go back to their solo adventures. The comics do it all the time and I feel audiences would be fine with it. Try something new, audiences i believe are more sophisticated than they are given credit for.
Old 05-22-16, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Exactly, there's no reason why they couldn't pop in for the big movies. However, solo movies would probably need to take a back seat while a show is still airing.
Old 05-22-16, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

The thing is if you have a series to fall back on for the character a solo film isn't exactly needed but would just be extra exposure for the character. I think DC blew a big opportunity by not incorporating the CW shows into their film universe. Both Arrow and The Flash are relatively popular and having them in the films would have gained the shows more exposure and the audience that watch the shows would have already been built in to wanting to see the films. I think it was extremely short sighted of Snyder to not realize that just because they didn't fit his dark tone fetish.
Old 05-22-16, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,205 Likes on 1,508 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Exactly, there's no reason why they couldn't pop in for the big movies. However, solo movies would probably need to take a back seat while a show is still airing.
That's right, aren't The Defenders supposed to appear in the next Avengers films? And it will involve the same actors playing Daredevil and the rest? I don't see why that would be an issue, just a small appearance and then back to the TV shows. And if any of the characters are particularly well received on the big screen, then hey, maybe a potential film for them.
Old 05-22-16, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts

Cavanagh continued, "[Gustin] makes it look easy and makes everyone think that’s what he is because he’s an incredibly skilled talent. That’s why he has that job. That’s why people like the show. If Zack Snyder were to read him for [The Flash], he would be shocked. It’s crazy for a big-time Hollywood director to say 'that’s not the universe.' It’s a huge misstep on his part. If you’re a director, and you’re worth your oats, then you should be able to, given an actor with talent, mold him into what you want, and Grant could do that."
I think we have identified the problem here.
Old 05-22-16, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by cultshock
That's right, aren't The Defenders supposed to appear in the next Avengers films? And it will involve the same actors playing Daredevil and the rest? I don't see why that would be an issue, just a small appearance and then back to the TV shows. And if any of the characters are particularly well received on the big screen, then hey, maybe a potential film for them.
There hasn't been any confirmation about the Netflix characters making it to the big screen. My guess is it won't happen, since Isaac Peelmutter is overseeing the shows and Kevin Feige is overseeing the movies and those two aren't on the best of terms.
Old 05-22-16, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts

I would much rather have Grant playing Barry Allen for 22 episodes a year for the next decade than for a couple of movies.

I think the success of the TV series, with most comic fans believing it's the best comic book show, has given The Flash's filmmakers an almost impossible task. I don't envy those people at all.
Old 05-22-16, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

It makes me nervous if we won't see embargoes on characters, like what seems to have happened with Suicide Squad on Arrow and what happened with Batman/Aquaman characters on JLU.

Like they can keep making Flash, but can't use the Rogues.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.