Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Flash (2023, D: Muschietti) - S: Miller, Keaton and Affleck

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Flash (2023, D: Muschietti) - S: Miller, Keaton and Affleck

Old 06-08-22, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 527 Likes on 315 Posts
Re: The Flash (2023, D: Muschietti) - S: Miller, Keaton and Affleck

The plot thickens?

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

And

Tokata has been the victim of psychological manipulation, attempted conversion therapy and other bigoted anti-LGBTQIA+ measures by her family. Tokata’s parents want nothing more than control and are willing to go to any lengths to obtain it. #LGBT#Indigiqueer#ProtectBIPOC
Old 06-08-22, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 756 Likes on 616 Posts

Oof.. I have to think of the previous incidents didnít lead to Ezraís firing that this will. Question now even more is does WB release the film as is or do they delay and recast the role?
Old 06-08-22, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 94 Likes on 67 Posts

The thing that stands out to me is that not a single statement about any of the incidents has been released by Ezra or his team. You would think they would try to stay ahead of this stuff with some statements of remorse (for the drunken incidents) and contrition (maybe acknowledging some issues). This has put the WB in an impossible position. They built up ton of excitement/anticipation with Keaton/Affleck returns that has been crushed by his nonsensical behaviors. I don't have any issues with him as Flash and I think they should have stuck with the original release schedule and tacked on a credits scene where an alternate universe Flash takes his place and just move on with it.

Last edited by SmackDaddy; 06-08-22 at 09:03 AM.
Old 06-08-22, 09:06 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Once again, fuck this guy for ruining our chance to get the best Batman and Batmobile back on the big screen. Yeah, I know batgirl, but this movie was going to do it first.
Old 06-08-22, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by bchbdaddy View Post
Once again, fuck this guy for ruining our chance to get the best Batman and Batmobile back on the big screen. Yeah, I know batgirl, but this movie was going to do it first.
Yeah. Iím pretty pissed about the whole situation and Ezra being such a dumb fuck. Iím over saying they need help as the excuse.
Old 06-08-22, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 343 Likes on 265 Posts

Time to CGI another actor’s face over Miller’s.
Old 06-08-22, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 771 Likes on 497 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven View Post
Not if the star because a huge liability to said movie.

I want to be clear that I don't think they should do this now. But if Miller's behavior continues to deteriorate to the point where they are trying to figure out how to fanwank their way through digitally replacing him or reshooting huge chunks to cobble something together, they should just call it. There's no way that would be good and the DCEU needs it to be good.
I'll quote my own post from earlier in this thread - someone at WB is doing math about this right now. Cancelling the film is rapidly becoming the only option.
Old 06-08-22, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 277 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by ViewAskewbian View Post
The plot thickens?

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

And

Tokata has been the victim of psychological manipulation, attempted conversion therapy and other bigoted anti-LGBTQIA+ measures by her family. Tokataís parents want nothing more than control and are willing to go to any lengths to obtain it. #LGBT#Indigiqueer#ProtectBIPOC
I donít know the whole story, but it sounds to me like Miller tried to help her escape conversion therapy and a bigoted abusive family? Miller is a LGBTQIA+ person and advocate. It sounds more to me like her parents are the villains in this story.
The following 3 users liked this post by Hazel Motes:
IBJoel (06-08-22), Michael Corvin (06-09-22), Obi-Wanma (06-08-22)
Old 06-08-22, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts

or release it straight to digital/streaming service. lol
Old 06-08-22, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,166 Likes on 906 Posts

Originally Posted by Hazel Motes View Post
I don’t know the whole story, but it sounds to me like Miller tried to help her escape conversion therapy and a bigoted abusive family? Miller is a LGBTQIA+ person and advocate. It sounds more to me like her parents are the villains in this story.
There probably is more to the story but they being so involved in her life without her parents from that early of an age still sets off a ton of red flags.

edited to correct pronoun

Last edited by fujishig; 06-08-22 at 12:42 PM.
Old 06-08-22, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,688 Likes on 1,119 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
There probably is more to the story but him being so involved in her life without her parents from that early of an age still sets off a ton of red flags.
Iím sure there is a lot more to the story than we know. Still, itís worrisome that a Trans person is being labeled as a ďGroomerĒ by this girlís parents. Thatís not going to help the LGBTQ community.

It also reeks of a right-wing agenda.

Of course, itís Ezra Miller so who the hell knows. He hasnít exactly earned the benefit of the doubt lately.
Old 06-08-22, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,390 Likes on 1,002 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven View Post
I'll quote my own post from earlier in this thread - someone at WB is doing math about this right now. Cancelling the film is rapidly becoming the only option.
Or quietly dump it onto HBOMax between Ezra Miller scandals.
Old 06-08-22, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,927 Likes on 1,411 Posts

If you scrap this and just throw the entire $200M away, the hardcore DC nerds will be livid.

If you just throw it onto HBO Max, it's basically a $200M plus loss.

If you try to reshoot it with a new actor, it will balloon the budget and will make it extremely hard to be profitable. And the hardcore DC nerds will also be livid and demand to see "The Miller cut"

and then you'll have to re-schedule actors to shoot scenes and it will without a doubt delay the movie even longer.

It's a lose lose situation. David Zaslav has to be pulling his hair out trying to figure out what to do with this mess.
The following users liked this post:
IBJoel (06-08-22)
Old 06-08-22, 04:52 PM

Received 2,867 Likes on 1,967 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
It's a lose lose situation. David Zaslav has to be pulling his hair out trying to figure out what to do with this mess.
It's not that difficult. The majority of general audiences don't have a clue about the actors personal life and won't care when it comes time to buy tickets.
New Lurker (06-09-22)
Old 06-08-22, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,927 Likes on 1,411 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14 View Post
It's not that difficult. The majority of general audiences don't have a clue about the actors personal life and won't care when it comes time to buy tickets.
It's still terrible PR for the movie. But yeah, some 21 year old kid living in his Mom's basement on TikTok 90% of his day probably doesn't give a shit and just wants the movie out.
Old 06-08-22, 05:16 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 259 Likes on 165 Posts

It's still terrible PR for the movie. But yeah, some 21 year old kid living in his Mom's basement on TikTok 90% of his day probably doesn't give a shit and just wants the movie out.
is that true OldBoy?
Old 06-08-22, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Received 752 Likes on 522 Posts

Originally Posted by ViewAskewbian View Post
Well, that oughta' ice this cake, right?

Right?!
That may indeed be the final nail in the coffin, regardless of the validity of the claim. Oy.
Old 06-08-22, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Itís definitely terrible PR for the film. People donít know who Ezra Miller is now maybe, but in this day and age? A high profile movie with an actor whoís been causing lots of trouble and now is being accused of grooming some girl.. social media will call for his cancellation as well as this film being boycotted if itís released.
Old 06-08-22, 06:03 PM
Administrator

Received 568 Likes on 359 Posts

The thing just needs to be put out in theaters. Refocus the marketing on Keaton and Affleck and get the thing out the door. If you have a gigantic flop and it grosses only $100M, you're still recouping a fair amount and WB loves tax write-offs anyway. The PR damage is done, but reshooting/retooling is just going to balloon the budget.
New Lurker (06-09-22)
Old 06-08-22, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by Mike86 View Post
social media will call for his cancellation as well as this film being boycotted if it’s released.
This demographic isn't going to see the movie anyway. Social media isn't real life. You know what else social media called for? Morbius to be re-released in theatres... Sony did that this past weekend and made $85 per screen.
majorjoe23 (06-11-22)
Old 06-08-22, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This demographic isn't going to see the movie anyway. Social media isn't real life. You know what else social media called for? Morbius to be re-released in theatres... it did that this past weekend and made $85 per screen.
Right, but that crowd is still loud. Especially over stuff like what Miller has done. Definitely will cause some bad PR for the film either way. How do you market a film with this guy whoís causing all these problems and heís the main star?
Old 06-08-22, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,166 Likes on 906 Posts

This demographic isn't going to see the movie anyway. Social media isn't real life. You know what else social media called for? Morbius to be re-released in theatres... Sony did that this past weekend and made $85 per screen.
Sure, but I wouldn't say there's no impact either. Depp got taken off of Fantastic Beasts for the accusations, and I doubt Heard will be seen as Mera again. Unless the media all get paid off to sweep this under the rug, Ezra's stuff is going to be following this movie throughout the whole media blitz.
Old 06-08-22, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by Mike86 View Post
Right, but that crowd is still loud. Especially over stuff like what Miller has done. Definitely will cause some bad PR for the film either way. How do you market a film with this guy who’s causing all these problems and he’s the main star?
Some bad PR... that will likely have little effect on the BO. The biggest thing that Ezra Miller has working against the movie is that he isn't a big star and most people don't know who the fuck Ezra Miller is anyway.... then again... that could actually be beneficial.

How do you market it? The same way you normally market it.... with a little extra emphasis on Keaton and Affleck.

General audiences are not going to care about any of this news.

Last edited by dex14; 06-08-22 at 07:33 PM.
IBJoel (06-08-22)
Old 06-08-22, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 153 Likes on 106 Posts

Yeah, bad headlines but nothing big enough to derail the film at this point imo. That said, still over a year to go! There's no reason to believe this mentally deranged person will change.
Old 06-08-22, 06:43 PM
Administrator

Received 568 Likes on 359 Posts

Some bad PR... that will likely have little effect on the BO. The biggest thing that Ezra Miller has working against the movie is that her isn't a big star and most people don't know who the fuck Ezra Miller is anyway.... then again... that could actually be beneficial.

How do you market it? The same way you normally market it.... with a little extra emphasis on Keaton and Affleck.

General audiences are not going to care about any of this news.
Especially internationally

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.