Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Flash (2023, D: Muschietti) - S: Miller, Keaton and Affleck

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Flash (2023, D: Muschietti) - S: Miller, Keaton and Affleck

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-07, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
God needs to smite Shawn Levy as well. Fucking hack.
Old 02-05-07, 02:51 PM
MrE
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Director-by-numbers ... unfortunately NATM is doing boffo.
Old 10-29-07, 03:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 728 Likes on 532 Posts
EXCLUSIVE: David Dobkin Takes ‘Flash’ Reins, Spills Details
5 Comments | Published by Shawn Adler on Saturday, October 27, 2007 at 11:34 pm.

Faster than the man himself, “The Flash” movie has once again changed directors – and you’ll never guess whose quick hands have grabbed the franchise.

“Wedding Crashers” and “Fred Claus” director David Dobkin revealed to MTV News that he’s signed with Warner Bros. to bring the fleet-footed super to the big screen in a solo project, taking over for Shawn Levy who left for undisclosed reasons.

Dobkin’s film won’t be the character’s first appearance in cinemas, of course, with the Flash a major part of the upcoming “Justice League of America” film. But while fans wait for “JLA” story and casting announcements with bated breath, Dobkin can’t help but hold his – confirming that his movie will exist in the same universe as the upcoming flick as a direct spin-off.

Which made his next comment all the more revelatory: Asked which version of the Flash would be the hero of his flick, Dobkin didn’t hesitate. “Wally West,” he said. This would seem to mesh perfectly with recent rumors that “JLA” opens with Barry Allen’s funeral.

From Levy to Dobkin, “The Flash” movie has certainly courted directors primarily known for their comedic work. But that doesn’t mean they’ll treat the character like a joke, Dobkin said. Asked about his vision for the Flash, Dobkin teased us with a somewhat melancholy tagline: “You can’t outrun yourself.”

Stay tuned to MTV Movies for more information about the Flash in the coming days.
Old 07-20-09, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts
Re: David Goyer's "The Flash"

Best news yet:

Geoff Johns to Produce/Co-Write “Flash”

In what will certainly be welcome news to comic readers, The Hollywood Reporter has published a lengthy piece on the state of DC Comics properties in TV and Film, including word that “Flash: Rebirth” and “Green Lantern” writer Geoff Johns is on board as a producer for an upcoming “Flash” feature film.

According to THR, Warners hired Geoff Johns, Grant Morrison and Marv Wolfman this last fall to act as consultants and writers for its superhero line of films. While details of Morrison and Wolfman’s separate projects weren’t revealed, it was noted that Johns has worked up a new treatment for a “Flash” film, being written by Dan Mazeau. Johns will act in a producer capacity on “Flash,” which does not yet have a director.

In addition to the “Flash” news, THR said Warner Bros. is taking pitches on films spotlighting Adam Strange as well as Aquaman, which would be produced by Leonardo DiCaprio and his Appian Way shingle.

There’s also "Bizarro Superman," written by "Galaxy Quest" writers David Howard and Robert Gordon; a sequel to "Constantine"; two Green Arrow projects, one an origin story and the other the previously announced "Super Max"; and also "Shazam" with Pete Segal attached to direct.

This is on top of already in production films like “The Losers,” “Jonah Hex” and “Green Lantern,” plus the television series adaptation of “Human Target.”
Old 07-20-09, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sessa17
Yet this is one movie I could care less about.
You could? So you like the idea?
Old 07-20-09, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

DiCaprio is producing Aquaman? Will he also be starring in that?
Old 07-20-09, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Sessa17
Yet this is one movie I could care less about.
Originally Posted by Blu Man
You could? So you like the idea?
Despite its orgins, the phrase “could care less,” is now intended as sarcasm and implies the same thing as the literal “couldn’t care less.” This was pretty much generally accepted among reasonable people until the internet correction police movement came along.

Interesting news on the Flash.
Old 07-20-09, 11:51 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So in other words...these films will be HIGHLY watched over by the comics current scribes and whatnot. Man, this is good cuz we'll get great tales....god knows, I love Johns so much for what he did for DC, or these things will never be made cuz...the production won't be allowed to do work until Johns etc are happy with the characters they have an awesome handle on. I'd rather see an amazing adapation of the Flash over a quick and crappy one...question: Who will be the Flash now?
Old 07-20-09, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by JackBurton
Despite its orgins, the phrase “could care less,” is now intended as sarcasm and implies the same thing as the literal “couldn’t care less.” This was pretty much generally accepted among reasonable people until the internet correction police movement came along.

Interesting news on the Flash.
On top of that, if you want to zing someone it's better not to wait until 4.5 years after the error.
Old 10-06-09, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

From CBR:

THE FLASH

IGN talked with "Dark Knight" producer Charles Roven. Asked about the status of the film, he told them he was off the project. "Warner Bros. came to me and said, 'The work that you've been doing hasn't yet resulted in something that any of us, including the filmmaking team, feel could be greenlit as a movie.'" He also said he understood their motivation, but hopes to find his way back to the property. This is not necessarily a bad thing for the project, nor is the film scrapped. New guidance may find an approach to the material everyone involved can agree upon.

Release date: TBA
Old 04-09-15, 10:28 PM

Received 4,579 Likes on 3,099 Posts

Looks like their involvement is now confirmed.

While they have yet to find their next directing job, “Lego Movie” producers Phil Lord and Christopher Miller are looking to help Warner Bros. get the wheels moving on one of the studio’s most popular DC Comics properties, “The Flash.”

Sources tell Variety that Lord and Miller are developing the story for the comicbook adaptation but have not yet decided whether they will direct. Alex Gartner is producing the pic.

Ezra Miller will star as the titular hero. The standalone film will hit theaters on Mar. 23, 2018.

Lord and Miller have a number of projects in development, including a sequel to “The Lego Movie.” They are repped by UTA.
http://variety.com/2015/film/news/ph...ie-1201469841/
Old 04-09-15, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
re: The Flash (2023, D: Muschietti) - S: Miller, Keaton and Affleck

Is the comic book version of Wally West sillier like he is in the DCAU? Lord and Miller seem like they would have been great for that version of the Flash opposed to Barry Allen
Old 04-10-15, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 193 Likes on 155 Posts

No matter what the movie ends up being, doing this while a TV show with a completely different continuity is on the air just feels weird.
Old 04-10-15, 10:36 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mwbmis
No matter what the movie ends up being, doing this while a TV show with a completely different continuity is on the air just feels weird.
It's not the first time it happened. The Smallville TV series was airing when the Superman Returns movie was released.
Old 04-10-15, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 193 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by kgrogers1979
It's not the first time it happened. The Smallville TV series was airing when the Superman Returns movie was released.
Yeah, but Smallville was about young Clark Kent not Superman. The Flash show is about the Flash, and he's fighting Flash villains.

Like I said, I don't know yet what the Flash movie will end up being. It just seems strange to have them co-existing.
Old 04-10-15, 10:44 AM

Received 4,579 Likes on 3,099 Posts

I completely agree. I wish they would just use him in the JLA movie.
Old 04-10-15, 11:54 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Flash movie and TV series being separate continuities doesn't bother me, but maybe that's just because I am used to the comics where there are "infinite Earths" with infinite continuities.
Old 04-10-15, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

I doubt it's going to confuse audiences which, for a feature film, will far outnumber the viewers of the series. However, it'd be neat to have it connected but you're also talking about coordinating screenwriters with the TV writers for storylines and character development going 2 years down the line. It's different if there already was a Flash movie and then a TV series was developed out of it (a la Agents of Shield which was built out of the Avengers).
Old 04-10-15, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I would be a lot more excited for this if the tv show wasn't already doing a bang-up job hitting all the Flash sweet spots. I'm not sure (besides a bigger budget) what the movie will give us that the show hasn't already done.
Old 10-05-15, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 728 Likes on 532 Posts

October 05, 2015 8:30am PT by Borys Kit
'The Flash' Movie Finds Its Director (Exclusive)

'Flash' would be the feature directorial debut of the best-selling author of 'Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter' and 'Pride and Prejudice and Zombies.'

Seth Grahame-Smith is in negotiations to direct and write The Flash, Warner Bros.' comic book movie based on the iconic DC Entertainment scarlet speedster super hero, sources tell The Hollywood Reporter.

The movie project has a treatment from Phil Lord and Christopher Miller, the Lego Movie duo that were also eyeing it as a possible directing vehicle.

Instead, the busy duo is headed to a galaxy far, far away (in this case just down the street to Disney) to tackle the Han Solo Star Wars movie, thus instigating a new search for a helmer.

Flash already has a release date – March 3, 2018 – and an actor who portrays the classic hero known as "the fastest man alive" – Ezra Miller. Miller’s Flash, aka. Barry Allen, is due to be introduced in Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, and then more prominently in Justice League Part 1, which will be released in the summer of 2017.

The Flash is already generating awareness in the form of a hit television series on the CW.

Charles Roven is producing the movie. Deborah and Zack Snyder are executive producing.

Grahame-Smith is the author of such genre mash-up best-sellers as Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter and Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. But he also also made a name for himself as a screenwriter, especially at Warners, where he is writing Lego Batman.

Flash would be Grahame-Smith’s feature directorial debut, although he has directed episodes of The Hard Times of RJ Berger, an MTV comedy he co-created with his producing partner David Katzenberg.
Old 10-05-15, 11:31 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Was really hoping Lord and Miller were doing this cuz The Flash is right up their alley.

Directing debut? That's a bold move for WB. He must have really impressed someone.
Old 10-05-15, 06:25 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Neither Grahame-Smith nor Ezra Miller fill me with confidence. Dark Shadows, which G-S wrote, was an abomination, and Miller has not impressed me with his acting.

Meanwhile, the TV show is so good that I have a hard time imagining how the movie would be better. I can definitely imagine how it could be bigger, but not better.
Old 10-05-15, 06:55 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've lost almost all interest with Miller/Lord gone. WB needs some top-notch directors to make sure their attempt to counteract Disney/Marvel doesn't turn into a trainwreck. And they give The Flash to a first-timer who wrote some seriously hack crap?

Thank goodness the TV version of The Flash is so good at least.
Old 10-05-15, 08:04 PM
Banned

Received 1,000 Likes on 666 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
Neither Grahame-Smith nor Ezra Miller fill me with confidence. Dark Shadows, which G-S wrote, was an abomination, and Miller has not impressed me with his acting.

Meanwhile, the TV show is so good that I have a hard time imagining how the movie would be better. I can definitely imagine how it could be bigger, but not better.
Feel the same way here. Grant Gustin has earned the goodwill of fans for his amazing portrayal of the Flash. Why do we need a movie with a different actor if the TV show is fulfilling all of fans wishes of seeing the source material brought to life? By the way, Geof Johns writing/overseeing this doesn't inspire much confidence either. He may be a great comic book writer but he was heavily involved in the Green Lantern movie too and we all know how that turned out.
Old 10-05-15, 08:10 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

He's also heavily involved in the Arrow and Flash TV shows. I think the bigger problem with Green Lantern was the director, especially from the behind the scenes chatter I've heard.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.