Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

What happened to Bridget Fonda?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

What happened to Bridget Fonda?

Old 01-31-22, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,073 Likes on 773 Posts
Re: What happened to Bridget Fonda?

Originally Posted by Deftones
No I mean, the way they make it sound, she literally never went out. Nobody ever saw her if the past 10 - 12 years? Or was she going out and living a life but nobody recognized her because of the way she looks? Just confusing that either she never went out OR she led a normal life but nobody recognized her.

The term public appearance is deceptive is all I am getting at. I mean if I run to the grocery store, technically I am making a public appearance. Does she not even do that?
That is what confuses me about this paparazzi photo.

I can't imagine that she has been a recluse for a decade (which would indicate severe psychological problems) just someone who did not do any show biz stuff (like go to the Oscars with her nominated husband).

But why would some paparazzi suddenly spot this woman, who looks nothing like Bridget Fonda even if it is her, and decide to start taking pictures of her?

Also odd to me is the Daily Mail story writes up the spotting the way they would write up a publicity appearance. This is a woman out running an errand in everyday clothes, and they are describing her top and her sneakers, detailing her movements like she was walking the red carpet. It's really weird.

On Friday, I was certain in my thinking that if it is not her that Fonda/Elfman should realize a statement refuting the story, but I have changed my mind and wonder what the point would be. I thought the mainstream media would pick up on this as fodder for content, but they haven't as far as I've seen.
Old 01-31-22, 04:27 PM
Premium Member

Received 676 Likes on 456 Posts

The photo with the dog is odd looking. And there is someone in the passenger seat of the vehicle in one shot, but not the others.
Old 01-31-22, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 946 Likes on 669 Posts

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
That is what confuses me about this paparazzi photo.

I can't imagine that she has been a recluse for a decade (which would indicate severe psychological problems) just someone who did not do any show biz stuff (like go to the Oscars with her nominated husband).

But why would some paparazzi suddenly spot this woman, who looks nothing like Bridget Fonda even if it is her, and decide to start taking pictures of her?

Also odd to me is the Daily Mail story writes up the spotting the way they would write up a publicity appearance. This is a woman out running an errand in everyday clothes, and they are describing her top and her sneakers, detailing her movements like she was walking the red carpet. It's really weird.

On Friday, I was certain in my thinking that if it is not her that Fonda/Elfman should realize a statement refuting the story, but I have changed my mind and wonder what the point would be. I thought the mainstream media would pick up on this as fodder for content, but they haven't as far as I've seen.

​​​​​​​On the flip side, why would the DM decide one day to take a picture of some random woman on the street and claim it's an actress no one has thought about in 20 years? Was it THAT slow of a news day? Whether or not she's been in the public eye, I'm sure it could be pretty quickly debunked if it truly wasn't her.
​​​​​
Old 01-31-22, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by rocket1312
On the flip side, why would the DM decide one day to take a picture of some random woman on the street and claim it's an actress no one has thought about in 20 years? Was it THAT slow of a news day? Whether or not she's been in the public eye, I'm sure it could be pretty quickly debunked if it truly wasn't her.
​​​​​
The photographer works for a paparazzi service that sells the photos to media outlets. Basically, thousands of people all over the world with their sights set on spotting a celebrity out in public, snapping some pics, and getting paid by the service, which then does business with the tabloids and tabloid websites.

So the photographer took the pictures, identifying the woman as Fonda, and it went from there.

If it wasn't Fonda and the pics were published in the US, she could conceivably claim some sort damage had been done to her image with malicious intent, but the Daily Mail is in the UK where the press has much more freedom to "go after" public figures.

While Fonda has retired from actively pursuing fame and celebrity, and has no social media presence, Elfman is still a public person and has an IG page. So, I expected that by now, if it was not her, he would have posted something.
Old 01-31-22, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts

How do you not make a public appearance in a decade? She was basically a shut in for that time? Seems odd.
She stepped away from Hollywood, so she hasn't made any official appearances since that time. It doesn't mean she became a recluse and stayed inside her house and never stepped off her property during that time. She probably went grocery shopping, to restaurants, etc. Just nobody recognized her or tried to bother her. Since she has been retired from acting, she is probably on the bottom of list for the paparazzi to spend much effort trying to get updated or candid pictures of her. The tabloids were probably not paying as much for pictures of her compared to other celebrities that are still in the public eye, so not as much effort was made to get pictures of her. It may have just been an off day for a paparazzi photographer who had no other leads and was just in the area.
Old 01-31-22, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by movieguru
She stepped away from Hollywood, so she hasn't made any official appearances since that time. It doesn't mean she became a recluse and stayed inside her house and never stepped off her property during that time. She probably went grocery shopping, to restaurants, etc. Just nobody recognized her or tried to bother her. Since she has been retired from acting, she is probably on the bottom of list for the paparazzi to spend much effort trying to get updated or candid pictures of her. The tabloids were probably not paying as much for pictures of her compared to other celebrities that are still in the public eye, so not as much effort was made to get pictures of her. It may have just been an off day for a paparazzi photographer who had no other leads and was just in the area.
But seriously, how would anyone look at that person and say, "Hey look, it's 1990s movie star, Bridget Fonda!" There's just a lot surrounding this whole thing that is curious.
Old 01-31-22, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,032 Likes on 4,117 Posts

But seriously, how would anyone look at that person and say, "Hey look, it's 1990s movie star, Bridget Fonda!" There's just a lot surrounding this whole thing that is curious.
Probably a tip from a neighbor or a gardener or a housekeeper or something like that.
Old 01-31-22, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The paparazzi obviously knew who it was. Most people that walked past her in the grocery store or who waited on her at a restaurant probably would have no idea that it was Bridgette Fonda. Most of you on here are arguing weather or not the pictures are actually of her, so she probably would draw any attention to herself from the general public. Most people remember a celebrity by their iconic look and may not recognize them in public out of their "costumes" especially after they've aged a number of years. I was talking to a woman on an elevator in Chicago a few years back. I did not know until someone else that I was with told me it was Linda Hamilton from The Terminator. she didn't look anything like the pictures we are used to seeing of her from The Terminator or Beauty and the Beast. I walked past some other guy in the downtown area of a city and I though he was somebody I knew or interacted with at some point, so I just said hello to him as I walked past him. I figured out a few minutes later that it was Jason Preistly. I think it's very easy not to always recognize a celebrity when you see them in the wild.
Old 01-31-22, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 814 Likes on 569 Posts

No I mean, the way they make it sound, she literally never went out. Nobody ever saw her if the past 10 - 12 years? Or was she going out and living a life but nobody recognized her because of the way she looks? Just confusing that either she never went out OR she led a normal life but nobody recognized her.?
That's the thing, she didn't look like this the past 12 years... it takes a while for her looks to change so drastically.
So from 2009 until lets say 2013 or 2014 she should still be recognizable, but there aren't any pictures of her out in the public even though she lives in California with paparazzi crawling all over the place - as well as tourists and celebrity stalkers always ready to take pictures? To me it sounds like she lived a VERY reclusive life for a while (a few years before and after 2009).
Old 01-31-22, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 397 Likes on 265 Posts

Paparazzi are able to come into a lot of information through dubious means. I don’t think this was a case of “oh look that’s Bridget Fonda”. This was obviously a premeditated, targeted attack. I’m sure whoever took the photos was specifically tracking Bridget Fonda. I’m sure they knew exactly where she lived, what car she drove, hell maybe even the license plate. A similar thing happened to Lilly Wachowski after she transitioned, but hadn’t come out of the closet publicly. Paparazzi found out where she lived and knocked on her door. These people are ruthless. My guess is that whoever took the photos knew that Fondas physical appearance had drastically changed. That’s obviously why they were after her in the first place.
The following users liked this post:
Norm de Plume (02-01-22)
Old 01-31-22, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,032 Likes on 4,117 Posts

Yeah that's my take as well. Sucks. Those scum bags.
The following 2 users liked this post by Decker:
cultshock (02-01-22), Norm de Plume (02-01-22)
Old 01-31-22, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Hazel Motes
Paparazzi are able to come into a lot of information through dubious means. I don’t think this was a case of “oh look that’s Bridget Fonda”. This was obviously a premeditated, targeted attack. I’m sure whoever took the photos was specifically tracking Bridget Fonda. I’m sure they knew exactly where she lived, what car she drove, hell maybe even the license plate. A similar thing happened to Lilly Wachowski after she transitioned, but hadn’t come out of the closet publicly. Paparazzi found out where she lived and knocked on her door. These people are ruthless. My guess is that whoever took the photos knew that Fondas physical appearance had drastically changed. That’s obviously why they were after her in the first place.
If someone decides to become an actor or actress and want to star in movies or tv shows, He or she should know going in that their personal life is going to be under scrutiny and may remain so for the rest of their life. You may never again have the privacy you had before you became famous. It comes with the territory of that career and the big bucks they make. You can't have your cake and eat it too. While the paparazzi may be intrusive, if they are taking pictures in public, it is perfectly legal and a first amendment protected activity. Also, if the general public didn't buy the tabloid magazines or click on the links that offer pictures or stories of the celebs, the paparazzi would have a market for their pictures. So, in the same respect, the general public can't complain about the paparazzi invading celebs lives if they are actively click on these types of links or purchase magazines that feature the paparazzi's photographs.
Old 01-31-22, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

If someone decides to become an actor or actress and want to star in movies or tv shows, He or she should know going in that their personal life is going to be under scrutiny and may remain so for the rest of their life. You may never again have the privacy you had before you became famous. It comes with the territory of that career and the big bucks they make. You can't have your cake and eat it too. While the paparazzi may be intrusive, if they are taking pictures in public, it is perfectly legal and a first amendment protected activity. Also, if the general public didn't buy the tabloid magazines or click on the links that offer pictures or stories of the celebs, the paparazzi would have a market for their pictures. So, in the same respect, the general public can't complain about the paparazzi invading celebs lives if they are actively click on these types of links or purchase magazines that feature the paparazzi's photographs.
I.E. - "The Price of Fame"
Old 01-31-22, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The paparazzi obviously knew who it was. Most people that walked past her in the grocery store or who waited on her at a restaurant probably would have no idea that it was Bridgette Fonda. Most of you on here are arguing weather or not the pictures are actually of her, so she probably would draw any attention to herself from the general public. Most people remember a celebrity by their iconic look and may not recognize them in public out of their "costumes" especially after they've aged a number of years. I was talking to a woman on an elevator in Chicago a few years back. I did not know until someone else that I was with told me it was Linda Hamilton from The Terminator. she didn't look anything like the pictures we are used to seeing of her from The Terminator or Beauty and the Beast. I walked past some other guy in the downtown area of a city and I though he was somebody I knew or interacted with at some point, so I just said hello to him as I walked past him. I figured out a few minutes later that it was Jason Preistly. I think it's very easy not to always recognize a celebrity when you see them in the wild.

If you didn't recognize Linda Hamilton, then that's on you, because she has had the same face for 40 years.

Maybe you need glasses.

Old 01-31-22, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 369 Likes on 263 Posts

If I saw Jason Priestly now (based on that picture), I would have no idea who he is.
Hubbub (02-01-22)
Old 02-01-22, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If you didn't recognize Linda Hamilton, then that's on you, because she has had the same face for 40 years.

Maybe you need glasses.
When I met her she was wearing a long frumpy trench coat with a baseball cap and reading glasses. Jason Priestly was much easier to recognize. Also when I saw them, I was only expecting to be walking past random people I've never met before and I didn't have pictures of them in their prime handy to compare to everybody that was in the vicinity of where I was at. So, if you're not intentionally on the look out for a specific celebrity or expecting to see them, you very likely may notice them when they are in your presence for a few seconds.

I had a guy come into a store where I worked once and ask me a question. He looked like a dead ringer for Tommy Lee Jones. When I said to him that he looks just like Tommy Lee Jones. he just laughed and shook his head. He didn't look exactly like he did in The Fugitive or any of his other movies, but for all I know it really could have been him.
Old 02-01-22, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
If I saw Jason Priestly now (based on that picture), I would have no idea who he is.
But somehow all these people are able to look at this picture and see Bridget Fonda's eyes and nose.

The following 2 users liked this post by Count Dooku:
majorjoe23 (02-01-22), TGM (02-01-22)
Old 02-01-22, 05:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 244 Likes on 174 Posts

Our brains make a connection based on context. Bridget Fonda appears in the thread title so we can make the connection that it is her when we see the picture. If the thread title was Who is this? with no other info, we wouldn't make the connection. After several pages of people posting guesses, it's revealed who it is, our brains clock and we can see that it is her.

I was at a Horror/Sci-Fi movie convention in 1999. I'm sitting on a bench outside the hotel that hosting the convention. A woman sits down beside me. It's Linda Harrison (Nova in Planet of Apes movies). I recognize her immediately, 30 years older. Why? Because I'm at a Sci-Fi/Horror movie convention. My brain made the connection. Had it been at an airport I wouldn't have recognized her.

My all time best friend that I hadn't seen in 15 years showed up at my door. I didn't know who he was. Thought it was somebody trying to sell me something. Soon as he opened his mouth it clicked and he looked no different than when I'd last seen him. Had he called me first and let me know he was coming I'd have recognized him immediately.

She looks more like a normal 58 year old now than the 2009 pictures look like a normal 45 year old. She looks about 30 tops because her true age has been artificially supressed through rigorous diet, workout routine and professional hair/make up job done by professionals. The picture of older Linda Hamilton. That's not what she really looks like. That's a public photo after paying a few hundred dollars for hair and make up job. Plus thousands of dollars a year for personal trainer. Average woman her age wouldn't look that good.
Old 02-01-22, 05:26 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Danger
Yes, but you aren't related to Barbarella. She has awesome genes. You and I don't. So it's disappointing when someone who has such a leg up in life still falls down to our level.
It's not about genes. That's a lazy excuse. It's about nutrition and exercise - mostly nutrition.
Old 02-01-22, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 814 Likes on 569 Posts

Originally Posted by rw2516
She looks more like a normal 58 year old now than the 2009 pictures look like a normal 45 year old. She looks about 30 tops because her true age has been artificially supressed through rigorous diet, workout routine and professional hair/make up job done by professionals.
I disagree. She looks like she's in her mid 40s in that 2009 picture, just someone who watches what they eat and possibly exercises. She looks great, but she doesn't look like she's in her 30s. You can be in great shape and still look like your age.
In the new pictures she looks like a woman in her late 50s whose either had health problems or hasn't been taking care of herself (or both).
Old 02-01-22, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,116 Likes on 1,452 Posts

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
I'd recognize him for sure.

But somehow all these people are able to look at this picture and see Bridget Fonda's eyes and nose.
There's a tad difference between briefly encountering someone in public and carefully studying before and after photos on the internet.
Old 02-01-22, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Coral
I disagree. She looks like she's in her mid 40s in that 2009 picture, just someone who watches what they eat and possibly exercises. She looks great, but she doesn't look like she's in her 30s. You can be in great shape and still look like your age.
In the new pictures she looks like a woman in her late 50s whose either had health problems or hasn't been taking care of herself (or both).
She may have had progressive back issues a few years after her car accident and may not be able to exercise anywhere near the extend she did when she was starring in movies. She may be taking pain pills that are causing her to gain weight.

Even though she's heavier now, she could possibly be more healthy now is she was starving herself to death or had an eating disorder to keep her weight down to get roles.

Her baggy clothes likely make her appear to be somewhat heavier than her actual weight.
Old 02-01-22, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It looks like the paparazzi are still following her around and got new pictures of her today.

Old 02-01-22, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by cultshock
There's a tad difference between briefly encountering someone in public and carefully studying before and after photos on the internet.
All I am saying is that once you mature into adulthood, to a great extent, what you look like is just that.

There's a 40 year difference in those Linda Hamilton pics and a 30 year difference in the Priestly pics, and those are very obviously LH and JP just much older. How many people do any of us know in our own lives that we can't say the same about. We age, we make changes to our appearance, but our faces stay recognizable. Try to think of any celebrity that has been famous for decades that it is not obvious who they are, whether the picture is young or old.

If that is BF, that is a stunning and very dramatic transformation of her appearance in a decade. That's the point. And anybody that wants to claim that it is common for people's appearance (famous or not) to change like that is just dead wrong.

With Howard Hesseman dying, I was looking at what happened to the cast of Head of the Class.
....This is Brian Robbins, who played Eric, ​​​​​​in his early 20s.

....This is him 35 years later.
Brian Robbins is President of Kids & Family Entertainment for ViacomCBS Domestic Media Networks, with oversight of Nickelodeon, Nick at Nite, Nick Jr., TeenNick, Nicktoons, Nickelodeon Studios and Awesomeness.

I was shocked to learn that Eric from HotC was such a Hollywood big shot, but I am not at all surprised those are pictures of the same person.
philo (02-02-22)
Old 02-01-22, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It looks like the paparazzi are still following her around and got new pictures of her today.

Those are definitely Bridget Fonda's nipples

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.