Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

War of the Worlds Trailer Discussion

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

War of the Worlds Trailer Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-05, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Trigger
That's so cute - that other War of the Worlds movie thinks it'll be in theaters this May. I doubt that would happen, but I'd like to see it anyway.
Ha, no kidding. Of course, I've read that the director has made claims that the film also has a 42 million dollar budget. Apparently he forgot to spend all that money on making the movie. It'll probably end up on the sci-fi channel though (I doubt any US distributor would give that a wide release).
Old 02-03-05, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
looks like the superbowl trailer has been pulled.
Old 02-03-05, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
Looks ok. Spielberg seems to be taking the Jaws/Jurassic Park approach with the aliens in this movie and not revealing much until the movie is almost released. Smart approach I guess. I find it interesting that there wasn't even a shot of Tom Cruise.
Old 02-03-05, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

since they pulled the trailer - where can I host an 8.5mb file?
Old 02-03-05, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Looks ok. Spielberg seems to be taking the Jaws/Jurassic Park approach with the aliens in this movie and not revealing much until the movie is almost released. Smart approach I guess. I find it interesting that there wasn't even a shot of Tom Cruise.
Are you sure you saw the superbowl trailer? Tom Cruise is the first thing you see. Granted, the last half of the trailer is lots of shit getting destroyed, but he and Dakota Fanning are quite a big part of the superbowl spot.

And even the original teaser had Cruise's name in giant font scrolling across the screen.

Nonetheless, the teaser was just supposed to let people know it's coming. Spielberg, Cruise, War of the Worlds. This superbowl trailer though, will make people want to see it outright.
Spoiler:
The freeway being ripped up and tossed into the air, the tanker crashing into the house and exploding, cars flying all over the place.
Audiences eat that shit up. I know I do. Knowing Spielberg is behind this, it could very well be the film I had hoped ID4 would be. Mass destruction by aliens, but a good story and acting and not just a B movie with high production values.

Last edited by jaeufraser; 02-03-05 at 06:59 PM.
Old 02-03-05, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by jaeufraser
Are you sure you saw the superbowl trailer? Tom Cruise is the first thing you see. Granted, the last half of the trailer is lots of shit getting destroyed, but he and Dakota Fanning are quite a big part of the superbowl spot.

And even the original teaser had Cruise's name in giant font scrolling across the screen.

Nonetheless, the teaser was just supposed to let people know it's coming. Spielberg, Cruise, War of the Worlds. This superbowl trailer though, will make people want to see it outright.
Spoiler:
The freeway being ripped up and tossed into the air, the tanker crashing into the house and exploding, cars flying all over the place.
Audiences eat that shit up. I know I do. Knowing Spielberg is behind this, it could very well be the film I had hoped ID4 would be. Mass destruction by aliens, but a good story and acting and not just a B movie with high production values.
Oops! Looks like I did get the original teaser. Is the SB preview still available?
Old 02-03-05, 07:43 PM
Needs to contact a mod about multiple accounts

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts
since they pulled the trailer - where can I host an 8.5mb file?
yousendit.com
Old 02-03-05, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

War of the Worlds Superbowl Trailer

That's pretty awesome... it says limited number of downloads, but hopefully someone else posts it if this one expires.
Old 02-03-05, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Okay, finally saw the SB teaser. While what I saw may not be totally representative of the movie, I liked that it seemed to have a theme of how humans can be selfish in times of crisis.

Are the aliens in this able to destroy stuff through telepathy, or were they using guns when they blew up the bridge?
Old 02-03-05, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
wow
Old 02-03-05, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Agree wtih raven56706, wow. That looks mighty impressive. Well, what, less than five months to wait now?
Old 02-03-05, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The trailer on the offical website doesn't jazz me. The SB on is better as the first few things I've noticed are that the little girl has some sort of (for lack of a better term) "Spidey-sense" or "Dead Zone" view. She knows what is going to happen before it does. The second to answer the question above is that the aliens have weapons. There appears to be small blasts that hit the bridge and cause the destruction.

The other War/Worlds movie trailer appeared very entertaing from an old style point of view.
Old 02-03-05, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
The Super Bowl trailer didn't really interest me at all. *shrug*
Old 02-03-05, 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by POWERBOMB
TI've noticed are that the little girl has some sort of (for lack of a better term) "Spidey-sense" or "Dead Zone" view. She knows what is going to happen before it does.
What gives you that indication? I saw this trailer, and there really isn't anything in it that hints to Dakota having supernatural or psychic powers. There is a line that someone might've seen something before the big blast, but that hardly points to psychic ability.

Anyway, I love me big budget destruction. Knowing that someone with a little more talent than Emmerich will be behind it completely jazzes me.
Old 02-04-05, 01:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wow indeed. I'm so in.
Old 02-04-05, 02:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Yeah, it looks like the aliens are using some invisible technology to destroy the bridge, or maybe that is something we won't see until the movie is in theaters. Definitely beats rotoscoped laser beams, though, as good as the original was.
Old 02-04-05, 09:23 AM

link doesn't work again.... *sigh* i'm a sap that has to work 7p-7a superbowl sunday and i'm sure that i'll miss all of the cool commercials! dammit
Old 02-04-05, 09:28 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
to the Spielberg version. The teaser trailer is a lot better than the Superbowl one which was too short. Looks like Cruise is playing a "regular guy." I was expecting to see him in a military uniform or a scientist's smock.

:thumbsdown: to the Victorian version. While I love the idea, I wish it was the direction Spielberg took. This one looks like it was filmed in somebody's backyard. Horrifically amateurish.
Old 02-04-05, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I still haven't seen the Superbowl spot yet
Old 02-04-05, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by POWERBOMB
The SB on is better as the first few things I've noticed are that the little girl has some sort of (for lack of a better term) "Spidey-sense" or "Dead Zone" view. She knows what is going to happen before it does.
I'm not sure she knows what's happening it's just that her father (is Tom Cruise her father?) and everyone else around her seemed to be pretty agitated. I think its pretty obvious something big is happening so of course she's going to be nervous.

When she turns around you see the flickering orange of fire on her face, meaning the destruction has started, and fuck that's a pretty good reason to be screaming.
Old 02-04-05, 12:49 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
A free PDF of the original novel can be downloaded here:

http://www.planetpdf.com/ebookarticl...ContentID=6180
Old 02-04-05, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jaeufraser
Anyway, I love me big budget destruction. Knowing that someone with a little more talent than Emmerich will be behind it completely jazzes me.
You mean "alot more talent" than Emmerich.
Old 02-04-05, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

War of the Worlds Superbowl Trailer

That's pretty awesome... it says limited number of downloads, but hopefully someone else posts it if this one expires.
Hey Trigger, I didn't get it before the link died. If you have this saved on your HD, I'd love to check it out. Maybe send to me over messenger? That'd be sweet if you could.
Old 02-04-05, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
You mean "alot more talent" than Emmerich.
Ha, indeed I do.
Old 02-04-05, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I finally got to see it, short but sweet. Can't wait for this flick. The visuals of that bridge getting torn up was amazing!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.