Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

I really llike Spider-Man 2, but...

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

I really llike Spider-Man 2, but...

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-04, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Michael Corvin
^^ If you over analyze any joke it will fall flat. It was funnier hearing it.
Obviously I would need to hear it. On the surface, it just doesn't sound like it would work as a comedy routine but I could be wrong.
Old 12-02-04, 09:31 AM

Originally posted by roger_d
My one dislike of the movie is that no one is suppose to know who spiderman was except for maybe a few people but in the subway scene, everyone saw who spiderman was. The idea of him wearing a mask is just that. It sort of ruined the whole idea of no one knowing who spidy was. Yes i know it's just a character in a comic book.
The whole train sequence is the greatest part of the movie, in my opinion [and it's not a subway: it's an el train]. It emphasized that powers and a costume aren't what makes Spider-Man a hero but rather Parker's character. The movie would have suffered tremendously without this scene.
Old 12-02-04, 11:14 AM

Everyone is entitled to there own option. I just started this thread to see if there was any "meaning" behind the musical choice of "Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head."

I personally like the whole train sequence, including the reveal, and the operation part didn't bother me either. But there are some incredible cheesy parts in the movie.

I hope Raimi goes "darker" theme for 3. I know the is a big back story to Venom, but I am hoping he is the villain.
Old 12-02-04, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 172 Posts
Originally posted by Jackskeleton
much like any of the Marvel characters, N.Y is a very important part of it and couldn't be Spidey without it.
Then why was most of the train scene filmed in Chicago?
Old 12-02-04, 12:07 PM

Originally posted by Chip718
I hope Raimi goes "darker" theme for 3. I know the is a big back story to Venom, but I am hoping he is the villain.
Here we go again.
Old 12-02-04, 12:27 PM

Originally posted by The_Infidel
Do you think by the third movie they'll start listing Kirsten Dunst's nipples in the credits, or will they be simply relegated, once again, as an uncredited cameo appearance?
Hopefully Kirsten won't be listed in the credits at all in the next film.. Something about her bugs me and makes any film she's in difficult for me to enjoy. Maybe if just her nipples were to make a cameo...
Old 12-02-04, 01:20 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah my only complaint is when everyone on the subway she's his face. Surely someone is going to blab.
Old 12-02-04, 02:18 PM

Originally posted by Fok
Yeah my only complaint is when everyone on the subway she's his face. Surely someone is going to blab.
I say make this part of the SM 3 or 4 story line. Somewhere along the line, make the public knowing his identity such an issue that it compromises PP and other's safety. In comes Prof X and with great reservations, he clears the memories of the people that know who he is. I know this will never happen and my story line would need a lot of work to make it presentable but I would like the studios to get together and allow an occasional cameo to bring the Marvel universe together.
Old 12-02-04, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by GuessWho
Then why was most of the train scene filmed in Chicago?
Perhaps production cost. N.Y. is a pain to film in. Shit, Phone Booth was filmed in Downtown Los Angeles when the entire movie is set in one block of new york.
Old 12-02-04, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

more than in Jackie Chan's Rumble in the Bronx
Old 12-02-04, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally posted by Fok
I still don't buy this. He is just some random kid. He isn't a celebrity. How the hell are all those people going to know who he is?
Old 12-02-04, 04:11 PM

Originally posted by Michael Corvin
I still don't buy this. He is just some random kid. He isn't a celebrity. How the hell are all those people going to know who he is?
If we are going to get into this again, I will add my 2 cents. While I don't have a problem with the scene, I would guess at least one person would go to the press. Where exactly? The Daily Bugle would be a good guess since they are so into Spiderman stories. So they may not get much more out of the person than height and weight (which they should already know), young kid with dark hair, no facial hair, marks, etc. Give that description to people who work in the Bugle with PP (who happens to be the only one that seems to be able to get good pictures of SM), and I would guess at least one person would put it together.
Old 12-02-04, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by Ketamine
If we are going to get into this again, I will add my 2 cents. While I don't have a problem with the scene, I would guess at least one person would go to the press. Where exactly? The Daily Bugle would be a good guess since they are so into Spiderman stories. So they may not get much more out of the person than height and weight (which they should already know), young kid with dark hair, no facial hair, marks, etc. Give that description to people who work in the Bugle with PP (who happens to be the only one that seems to be able to get good pictures of SM), and I would guess at least one person would put it together.
Eh. It's a comic book movie. If I can believe that people can't tell the difference between Chris Reeves with glasses and Chris Reeves without, then the Spiderman thing I definately can buy. It's an emotional scene...in a movie that isn't about being "dark" or negative. You're supposed to believe that no one there would blab, that these people just had Spidey save his life. Sometimes it's better to just go with the movie rather than trying to figure out the real world dynamics of a movie about Spiderman. We're talking a VERY remote possibility that anyone could figure it out, and that possibility only happens if you take the cynical perspective of a rather uplifting scene.
Old 12-02-04, 04:48 PM

ok, so this movie keeps getting better the more I watch it. BUT, I do have a problem with Kirsten Dunst. Now, I usually like her and I do think she is attractive in a weird way. I also believe that her chemistry with Tobey is one of the highlights of both movies (the first one more so).

Why does she looks so awful in this movie? Now I know it would be ridiculous to compare her to the comic book MJ but the way I visualize MJ at this age is not the way she looks on screen. It is like they tried to make her look average and frumpy. Even when some hot (or semi-hot) actresses or models dress down they don't look this bad. That horrible brown dress she is wearing at the end makes her look downright ugly.

I thought she was suppose to be this insanely beautiful woman that Peter never thought he could get.
Old 12-02-04, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Kal-El
Someone else explained that before. It was to show that there was still someone who cared for Peter even though everyone around him seemed to have abandoned him.
I thought having a crack whore pining for him was another slam against poor Parker!
Old 12-02-04, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Fok
You know why robbers can get away with hold ups? Often, eye witnesses all have a different take on what the guy looks like. What the police are looking for most in descriptions are unusual things that stick out, like scars or moles or things of that nature. Peter Parker is an average looking guy, and people were going to see what they wanted to see when they saw him, and it was for such a short amount of time they saw him, they would remember him as they wanted to remember him, not as he actually was.

This kind of thing was touched upon in Batman Beyond when Terry had to reveal his identity to a kid to save his life. The villian of the week found out this kid saw Batman without his mask so they abduct the kid and probe his memories and the kid remebered seeing somebody else entirely, another hero of his. I think this is the way people would have perceived Spider Man on the train. Yeah, they saw his face, but most of them were equating him with kids they knew already, so they were not recognizing him, but were recognizing people they knew in him.

There might be a few who would have a double take moment if they ever saw Peter Parker in public, but they would probably dismiss it.
Old 12-02-04, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
This argument came up when the movie came out, but no matter how people have reasoned that Spider-Man being seen without his mask on isn't a big deal, it's still bothersome to me and none of the arguments have really changed my mind about that scene. Sure people might come up with different descriptions or be outstanding people and not tell, but it's also likely that there would be enough assholes on there that could also agree on a description of Peter and blab.

Superheroes have always been about maintaining their secret identities and the seperation between their regular persona and their hero persona. I can understand how Raimi has humanized the character and demonstrated how the two personas conflict, but in this case it felt like Spider-Man being seen without his mask on was too much of a throwaway. To me, it came across as just being careless.
Old 12-02-04, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by fumanstan
This argument came up when the movie came out, but no matter how people have reasoned that Spider-Man being seen without his mask on isn't a big deal, it's still bothersome to me and none of the arguments have really changed my mind about that scene. Sure people might come up with different descriptions or be outstanding people and not tell, but it's also likely that there would be enough assholes on there that could also agree on a description of Peter and blab.

Superheroes have always been about maintaining their secret identities and the seperation between their regular persona and their hero persona. I can understand how Raimi has humanized the character and demonstrated how the two personas conflict, but in this case it felt like Spider-Man being seen without his mask on was too much of a throwaway. To me, it came across as just being careless.
Yeah, I see your point too. And it's not as if there aren't digital cameras and small cam corders in circulation in NYC and likely on a train full of people, somebody would want to capitalize in on it. But of course, I would think that the majority that wanted to protect Spider Man's secret in honor would kid that guy's ass and break the camera!
Old 12-02-04, 07:40 PM

Originally posted by jaeufraser
Eh. It's a comic book movie. If I can believe that people can't tell the difference between Chris Reeves with glasses and Chris Reeves without, then the Spiderman thing I definately can buy. It's an emotional scene...in a movie that isn't about being "dark" or negative. You're supposed to believe that no one there would blab, that these people just had Spidey save his life. Sometimes it's better to just go with the movie rather than trying to figure out the real world dynamics of a movie about Spiderman. We're talking a VERY remote possibility that anyone could figure it out, and that possibility only happens if you take the cynical perspective of a rather uplifting scene.
Yeah, I know it is a comic book movie and I said it didn't bother me that he showed his face. I was just saying to those who think in real life that someone on the train wouldn't ID him are crazy and stated why I thought so. I think that you are wrong and it is very likely that if someone went to the Bugle with even a vague discription, then someone would figure it out. But I am happy to believe that nobody on the train goes to the press and that is that.
Old 12-03-04, 05:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I thought the scene worked great as well, a perfect bit of a classic song denoting that Peter had found a little temporary serenity.
Old 12-03-04, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

the people on the train who see Pete without his mask, were just moments before watching their lives pass before them.
they were trapped on an out of control subway car barrelling down the tracks towards imminent, violent destruction.
this average, woefully generic, non descript looking kid, just saved their lives.
they are actually all going to get to go home that day and see their loved ones again.

i think the display of non self-centered action ("hey i could make money off of this") amongst the what, 20 or so people in that car?, is not that unreasonable to expect in the circumstance, given the life altering experience that they all just went thru ("honey, i almost died today on the way home from work...").

Last edited by ckolchak; 12-03-04 at 07:47 AM.
Old 12-03-04, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally posted by AEspinoza1
I thought she was suppose to be this insanely beautiful woman that Peter never thought he could get.
She is beautiful...inside...where it matters.
Old 12-03-04, 10:30 AM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well if I saw spiderman without a mask, I'd be damm sure to remember his face. Who wouldn't?
Old 12-03-04, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts
In the next movie, they should have a quick scene in which someone is questioning one of the train passengers to describe what SM looked like behind the mask. After thinking for a second, the person says "Well, he kind of looked like Tobey McGuire." Then the person questioning says "Who?"

Well, maybe not.
Old 12-03-04, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The thing that bothers me, is that you know if there was a real Spider-Man swinging around NYC, there would be tons of imitators out there with their own costumes trying to do some crazy sh!t.

Oh as for the seeing Spider-Man's face thing, sure I'd probably never forget what he looked like but I probably would have a hard time describing it to someone else.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.