Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

I really llike Spider-Man 2, but...

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

I really llike Spider-Man 2, but...

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-04, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Rivero
funny, at that moment I wanted to reach into the screen and knock Maguire out for looking like such a moronic tool. IMO a lame sequence that should have been handled differently.
we obviously see the character of Peter Parker differently.
i think the sequence is sweet without being sacharine or schmaltzy, is true to the character, serves the story, and i give kudos to Maguire for not being afraid to look unattractively dorky.
as i was watching i had a feeling that a lot of the younger viewers (teens, early twenties) were going to rag on it.
not making an assumption about your age Rivero, just that i could see a certain audience weaned on pretentious, 'bad ass' heros, would have a hard time getting into the spirit there.
(also the fact that the sequence prominently features a geriatric adult contemporary am radio staple would have made it hell for the little music snobs out there)

Last edited by ckolchak; 12-01-04 at 07:12 AM.
Old 11-30-04, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally posted by scott1598
i think that is a loaded statement...the only reason you say that is because Raimi directed both. But, really you can either compare that scene to a million cheesy horror flicks (in a good way) or none at all, but to say that it specifically reminds of "Evil Dead" I think is biased. Actually, because the movies are so technically divided with "Evil Dead" being almost amaturish when compared and "Spider-Man 2" being a technical marvel I don't think you can say that scene belongs anywhere in the remote vicinity of "Evil Dead".
Okay it was a loaded statement but to take what you said...

I don't think you can say that scene belongs anywhere in the remote vicinity of "Evil Dead".
and just change "evil dead" to "SM2." That scene stands out like a sore thumb in about 5 hours of movie footage between the two films. There is no other scene remotely like it. I didn't hate the scene it was just awkward.
Old 12-01-04, 02:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another fan of raindrops keep falling on my head.
Old 12-01-04, 02:57 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
funny, at that moment I wanted to reach into the screen and knock Maguire out for looking like such a moronic tool. IMO a lame sequence that should have been handled differently. I also didn't care for yet another New Yawker scene with Parker being carried away in Jesus Christ-pose.
much like any of the Marvel characters, N.Y is a very important part of it and couldn't be Spidey without it.
Old 12-01-04, 04:26 AM
Banned

Originally posted by ckolchak
we obviously see the character of Peter Parker differently.
i think the sequence is sweet without being sacharine or schmaltzy, is true to the character, serves the story, and i give kudos to Maguire for not being afraid to look un-cool. not making an assumption about your age Rivero, just that i could see a certain audience weaned on pretentious, 'bad ass' heros, would have a hard time getting into the spirit there.
It isn't sacharine or schmaltzy, I agree. What it is is intentionally cheesy, like a Mentos Freshmaker commercial. Almost cynical, even. The freeze-frame on Parker's face, it's like Raimi is just treating this whole scene as one big joke. As for 'bad-ass' pretentious heroes, I loved the final freeze capturing a moment of true happiness for the hero in the last Harry Potter movie.

Last edited by Rivero; 12-01-04 at 04:37 AM.
Old 12-01-04, 07:30 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

... I loved the final freeze capturing a moment of true happiness for the hero in the last Harry Potter movie.
As I remember, this is Jack's favorite part, too
Old 12-01-04, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by evitagen
Singing in the Rain isn't in Spider-Man 2 or Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid. The song is Raindrops Keep Fallin' on My Head.
Thank you! It's been awhile since I've seen it, and for some reason it wasn't quite matching my memory, but I'm glad for confirmation. On the topic of.. I didn't mind it at all. Or the New Yorker stuff.
Old 12-01-04, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My one dislike of the movie is that no one is suppose to know who spiderman was except for maybe a few people but in the subway scene, everyone saw who spiderman was. The idea of him wearing a mask is just that. It sort of ruined the whole idea of no one knowing who spidy was. Yes i know it's just a character in a comic book.
Old 12-01-04, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by scott1598
to say that it specifically reminds of "Evil Dead" I think is biased. Actually, because the movies are so technically divided with "Evil Dead" being almost amaturish when compared and "Spider-Man 2" being a technical marvel I don't think you can say that scene belongs anywhere in the remote vicinity of "Evil Dead".
But the technical side of a film is (in most cases) nowhere near its most important aspect. The Evil Dead films (especially Evil Dead 2) have inventiveness and off-the-wall energy in abundance, and certainly these qualities shine through in the operation scene.

You're right in saying that the scene made many of us think of Evil Dead because Raimi directed both, but nevertheless, the similarities (e.g. frenetic camera movement, people being hurled at walls, creative uses of a chainsaw) are unquestionable.

For the record, this was my favorite scene in the film.
Old 12-01-04, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
Originally posted by Original Desmond
Great scene and highlighted the difference between the life of Peter Parker as Spiderman and Peter Parker living normally without Spiderman

Awesome stuff
Thought the same. I could almost feel the weight off his shoulders.
Old 12-01-04, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
I liked the "Raindrops keep falling on my head" sequence but the best part of this movie was the big "reveal" with Mary Jane.
Old 12-01-04, 10:59 AM
Suspended

Originally posted by roger_d
My one dislike of the movie is that no one is suppose to know who spiderman was except for maybe a few people but in the subway scene, everyone saw who spiderman was. The idea of him wearing a mask is just that. It sort of ruined the whole idea of no one knowing who spidy was. Yes i know it's just a character in a comic book.
Um, no. Nobody knows who Spiderman is - still. Of the 30 or 40 people on the train, when pressed for a discription, would come up with 30 or 40 answers. It happens all the time in real life, with real crime and real eyewitnesses.
Old 12-01-04, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What would they say? A white guy in his mid-20's, average looking? If he were to be photographed then that would be something but he's not a famous person where someone seeing his face would jeopardize his identity.
Old 12-01-04, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I like the sequence very much.
Old 12-01-04, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 624 Likes on 482 Posts
I liked the raindrops, subway, and hospital scenes a lot. They were real highlights in an already great movie.

As for the hospital scene, yes, it reminded me of Evil Dead 2 because Raimi directed it and also because the scene was very Raimi. Much like the shot in the first Spider-Man where Peter is going to make a big swing toward the guy who killed Uncle Ben. The way Peter comes into frame and looks down intensely just before jumping down to swing on his spiderweb immediately brought to mind Darkman (another Raimi directed superhero-esque film) because of the style and tone of the shot.

And I like that juxstaposition. Notice how the Parker scenes in Spider-Man 2 could easily have come out of a movie like A Simple Plan whereas the Spider-Man scenes had a whole Evil Dead 2/Darkman vibe going. I really like how Sam balanced his two styles to great effect in this movie.
Old 12-01-04, 01:59 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 909 Likes on 769 Posts
Originally posted by Michael Corvin
Okay it was a loaded statement but to take what you said...

and just change "evil dead" to "SM2." That scene stands out like a sore thumb in about 5 hours of movie footage between the two films. There is no other scene remotely like it. I didn't hate the scene it was just awkward.
totally agree. there are def no scenes remotely like it in either (the gore though is much more grounded and realistic, which is not done in anyway in "Evil Dead" and yes! i know it is done by metallic tentacles fused to a man's backside. But, what this movie does that I think most can say is not done in "Evil Dead" is that Raimi makes the viewer believe something like tentacles fused to a back and then run amok can actually happen in real life) which is why it stands as so original, unexpected, and genuinely needed to define Dr. Ock in a picture that isn't like any other super-hero film to date and transcends the genre. it is not only a great super-hero flick (which i hate to keep referring to it as such) but it is an incredibly well made and entertaining movie period!

Last edited by OldBoy; 12-01-04 at 02:05 PM.
Old 12-01-04, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have a question that is a little bit off topic. But it has been bugging me. The question is, does Aunt May know that Peter is Spider-man?
Old 12-01-04, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by QuikSilver
I have a question that is a little bit off topic. But it has been bugging me. The question is, does Aunt May know that Peter is Spider-man?
I believe it was implied that she knew.
Old 12-01-04, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I just wanted post what I heard from a comedian on Bob & Tom last week. It was pretty funny. He was saying what a hack of a superhero Spider Man is. The worst super hero ever. Why? What powers does he have? Can he fly? Well... not really, he can shoot his web throughout the city and look like he is flying. Stick him out in a cornfield in Nebraska and see what kind of superhero he is. See how that webslinging works out for him.

Of course the comedian tells it better. But I thought it was great.

Oh, and I took it that May knew/knows his secret.
Old 12-02-04, 01:20 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by QuikSilver
The question is, does Aunt May know that Peter is Spider-man?
In the comics she told Peter that she always knew. I honestly believe she knows in Spider-Man 2 judging from the end conversation she has with Peter when she was packing her shit to move. Just listen to what she says and how she says it.
Old 12-02-04, 02:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Speaking of "it's implied she knows", wasn't it implied that MJ realized Parker was Spider-man at the end of the first movie?
Old 12-02-04, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Michael Corvin
I just wanted post what I heard from a comedian on Bob & Tom last week. It was pretty funny. He was saying what a hack of a superhero Spider Man is. The worst super hero ever. Why? What powers does he have? Can he fly? Well... not really, he can shoot his web throughout the city and look like he is flying. Stick him out in a cornfield in Nebraska and see what kind of superhero he is. See how that webslinging works out for him.

Of course the comedian tells it better. But I thought it was great.

Oh, and I took it that May knew/knows his secret.
Sorry, but I think their comment is stupid (I know they are just trying to be funny, but sounds like he fell flat). I would guess that 75% of super heros don't fly. Sure webslinging is a part of how SM fights, but with his spider sense, agility, strength, and abilty to use his webs in many different ways, I think he would do just fine in Nebraska. Now, put him in Kansas, then I think he may have some trouble.
Old 12-02-04, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

^^ If you over analyze any joke it will fall flat. It was funnier hearing it.
Old 12-02-04, 08:38 AM
Banned

WOW! Huge difference there! One is a classic, the other classic schlock. I'm surprised it took so long for someone to point out the obvious mistake. That gets a big 'DUH'!!!!

By the way, I haven't seen the film. I've been disappointed in Raimi's work since he sold out to Hollyweed.
Old 12-02-04, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts
Do you think by the third movie they'll start listing Kirsten Dunst's nipples in the credits, or will they be simply relegated, once again, as an uncredited cameo appearance?

Just curious.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.