Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Do you miss John Candy?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Do you miss John Candy?

Old 03-03-19, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts
Re: Do you miss John Candy?

Candy would be 68. What kind of movies would he be going today? Would he be stuck doing DTV movies? Working mostly behind the camera (as a producer and/or writer)? Retired?
Old 03-03-19, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 164 Likes on 117 Posts

I think Candy could’ve been a great actor but he didn’t really live long enough to showcase that side - Planes is probably his best and he was very good in JFK, but sadly, I’d imagine a lot of people under 30 only have a vague idea who he was.
Old 03-03-19, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,160 Likes on 2,036 Posts

Originally Posted by TheMovieman
Candy would be 68. What kind of movies would he be going today? Would he be stuck doing DTV movies? Working mostly behind the camera (as a producer and/or writer)? Retired?
I could see him being a player in those Christopher Guest improv movies or maybe a sitcom on CBS.

John Candy and Chris Farley are still the two actors I loved as a child who’s death hurt the most.

I still remember watch Rookie of the Year as a young teenager and thinking “John Candy actually looks pretty good in this. I think he’s going to be alright.” ...And then he died soon afterward. Of course this was before I saw Wagon’s East and Canadian Bacon where he looked like shit.
Old 03-03-19, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Well, comedic actors tend to have a shelf life. I'm not sure he would have been able to continue for much longer as a lead in comedies, as the 90s stars (Adam Sandler, Mike Myers, Chris Farley - briefly) were on the rise. Bill Murray managed to have a longer career, but he had to go in a different direction. Perhaps Candy could have done more serious work to keep it going.

I think he really would have been in demand as a voice actor. I know it's difficult to imagine different actors in certain roles, but he might have been Shrek, or Sully in Monsters Inc.
Old 03-03-19, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,128 Likes on 888 Posts

Originally Posted by The Antipodean
I think Candy could’ve been a great actor but he didn’t really live long enough to showcase that side - Planes is probably his best and he was very good in JFK, but sadly, I’d imagine a lot of people under 30 only have a vague idea who he was.
Good point. He may not have done comedy forever, but he could have tried other types of roles. JFK is a good role where he’s not playing his typical type of character. Even his role as Del he was subdued at the end and tugged at the heart strings. I think he would have been capable of breaking out of the comedy shell had he lived longer to have more chances. I could see him being similar to Robin Williams in ways. Such a shame.

Last edited by Mike86; 03-03-19 at 05:45 PM.
Old 03-03-19, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
John Candy and Chris Farley are still the two actors I loved as a child who’s death hurt the most.

Same. They were some of the warmest humble good hearted comedians I enjoyed watching and giving attention to. Not many comedians capture my attention these days.
Old 03-03-19, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I liked Farley but never as much as Candy personally. Farley fell back on his weight for jokes a lot. Candy was a big guy too but not all jokes about him revolved around that.
Old 03-03-19, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 699 Likes on 570 Posts

I bet he would be doing a crappy sitcom on CBS

It sucks Candy and Farley is gone but I miss Phil Hartman more.
Old 03-08-19, 08:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My Grandma did not know he was when he passed just seeing people in tears and everybody was talking him, don't remember people getting real emotional over Robin Williams but I very young when Candy passed so I don't remember, I feel bad for people who don't know who he is, Just a Name like Lou Costello. Comedy's well never be the same again people don't think this type of comedy is funny anymore.
Old 03-08-19, 08:05 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 888 Likes on 751 Posts

Holy fuck. I just told a friend Uncle Buck is probably my favorite John Hughes movie and probably favorite Candy movie. The last scene in that movie was the perfect goodbye and like to think that was his last great one...
Old 03-09-19, 06:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,433 Likes on 913 Posts

I haven't watched a lot of John Candy movies. Every time I see a little piece of one, he seems to be playing the pathetic fat guy. Because fat is funny, right?

I watched SCTV every week and loved it. But I didn't enjoy him in movies.
Old 03-09-19, 11:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Danger
I haven't watched a lot of John Candy movies. Every time I see a little piece of one, he seems to be playing the pathetic fat guy. Because fat is funny, right?

Whenever I watched a John Candy movie, I never saw him as playing the pathetic fat guy. I always saw him as the father figure with a big heart. Maybe since I grew up in the Midwest, I have a deeper connection to the type of character he played since I actually grew up with people that had his same personality. Every time I watch the Great Outdoors, I feel like I am reliving my childhood. I miss John Candy more than any other actor by far. I always wonder what movies he would have starred in if he didn’t pass away so young.
Old 03-09-19, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I haven’t seen SCTV at all really aside from some clips. Just not a huge fan of sketch shows really despite him being on it. I would say that most of his films don’t rely on his weight that often for jokes.
Old 03-09-19, 12:42 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Always get sucked into Summer Rental.
Old 03-09-19, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,014 Likes on 721 Posts

Not this. I really don't feel that is a fair characterization.

I don't recall a specific example of them making jokes at the expense of his weight. I suppose, though, that you could point out when Steve Martin accidentally used his large underwear as a towel in Planes, Trains, and Automobiles.

Originally Posted by The_Cube
Whenever I watched a John Candy movie, I never saw him as playing the pathetic fat guy. I always saw him as the father figure with a big heart. Maybe since I grew up in the Midwest, I have a deeper connection to the type of character he played since I actually grew up with people that had his same personality. Every time I watch the Great Outdoors, I feel like I am reliving my childhood. I miss John Candy more than any other actor by far. I always wonder what movies he would have starred in if he didn’t pass away so young.
This.

One of my favourites, that I don't see mentioned very often, is Only The Lonely, with Ally Sheedy and Maureen O'hara.
Old 03-11-19, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Reelz did a autopsy special on Candy and his family had a history of dying young from a heart attack and he did not care if he ate too much or had a bad diet.

He was insecure thinking if he lost weight he might not be funny anymore and his career would go down the toilet.
Old 11-24-22, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,242 Likes on 827 Posts

Ryan Reynolds, who despite his success remains very Canadian, is producing a documentary about fellow Canadian John Candy through his production company Maximum Effort. Colin Hanks is co-producing. The project has the approval and support of the Candy family/estate.

The following 5 users liked this post by eXcentris:
andicus (11-24-22), Boondock Saint (11-25-22), Fist of Doom Jr (11-24-22), OldBoy (11-24-22), Toby Dramit (11-27-22)
Old 11-24-22, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts

Originally Posted by eXcentris
Ryan Reynolds, who despite his success remains very Canadian, is producing a documentary about fellow Canadian John Candy through his production company Maximum Effort. Colin Hanks is co-producing. The project has the approval and support of the Candy family/estate.
That's fantastic! Thanks for sharing.

A few years ago I got to interview his daughter and she had a lot of funny stories of life with her dad on and off set. I gather they'll be involved in some fashion with the doc.
The following 5 users liked this post by ViewAskewbian:
andicus (11-24-22), eXcentris (11-24-22), OldBoy (11-24-22), philo (11-24-22), Toby Dramit (11-27-22)
Old 11-24-22, 03:32 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 888 Likes on 751 Posts

Can’t wait for this. His life in the right hands could be very very enjoyable.
Old 11-24-22, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,286 Likes on 935 Posts

I miss him a lot and I'm sure watching this will be emotional. I imagine there'll be a lot of happy memories.
Old 11-24-22, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 362 Likes on 262 Posts

I don’t just miss John Candy. I miss identifiable actors, characters, and plots.
Old 11-27-22, 03:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I bet he would be doing a lame CBS sitcom if he was still around.

If there ever was a John Madden movie and Candy was still alive he would have been perfect in that role and maybe Oscar worthy too?