DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   longest strecht wuthout dialogue or music in a Tarantino/Smith movie (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/396509-longest-strecht-wuthout-dialogue-music-tarantino-smith-movie.html)

Raul3 11-18-04 12:57 PM

longest strecht wuthout dialogue or music in a Tarantino/Smith movie

yeah, I was thinking about it in the other thread

it may be interesting to know what's the longest stretch without dialogue or music in a Quentin Tarantino or Kevin Smith movie.

Mayben it would be easier in Tarantino's case, although the no music clause can make it harder.

I don't have any candidates right now :p

wendersfan 11-18-04 01:02 PM

Find out which has the longest closing credits, and you'll have your answer. ;)

Crocker Jarmen 11-18-04 01:08 PM

It's a long quiet stretch in Pulp Fiction when Butch goes back to the apartment to reclaim his watch.

PixyJunket 11-18-04 01:11 PM

Strecht?

fallfan 11-18-04 01:44 PM

In Jackie Brown after Sam Jackson's character kills Chris Tucker's theres a longish scene of him driving around his car with the body in the back seat.

Jackskeleton 11-18-04 01:55 PM

there's actually parts of their films that have silence?!

PopcornTreeCt 11-18-04 02:37 PM

strecht? wuthout? Crazy.

Just wanted to add my 2 cents: I don't particulary find any sequence without dialogue better than with. I'm a huge fan of dialogue and try to create the best dialogue when writing scripts.

auto 11-18-04 03:16 PM

Originally posted by PopcornTreeCt
strecht? wuthout? Crazy.

Just wanted to add my 2 cents: I don't particulary find any sequence without dialogue better than with. I'm a huge fan of dialogue and try to create the best dialogue when writing scripts.

Maybe you would be better suited to writing books. ;)

Film is a visual medium. Dialogue is important but on an equal basis with imagery, music, etc. A skilled director can tell their story without dialogue. Maybe not the entire film, but certainly parts/scenes.

Hell, back in the day, their was NO dialogue. And look at some of the masterpieces of silent film.

On a side note: Can we lay off the bitchin' at people for mispellings/typing errors? This in an internet forum. If you can tell what they're getting at, let it go!

wendersfan 11-18-04 03:20 PM

Originally posted by automator

Film is a visual medium. Dialogue is important but on an equal basis with imagery, music, etc. A skilled director can tell their story without dialogue. Maybe not the entire film, but certainly parts/scenes.

Hell, back in the day, their was NO dialogue. And look at some of the masterpieces of silent film.

On a side note: Can we lay off the bitchin' at people for mispellings/typing errors? This in an internet forum. If you can tell what they're getting at, let it go!

Total agreement.

<font size = 1>Well, except for the typo thing. People who can't spell or type deserve to be publicly ridiculed...</font>

;)

devilshalo 11-18-04 03:29 PM

Was there music during the scene in which Butch (Willis) was looking for a weapon in Zed's shop? It's been a while since I watched Pulp Fiction.

PopcornTreeCt 11-18-04 04:13 PM

Originally posted by automator

I do agree with you, but I just write I don't direct. My favorite movies are ones like The Philadelphia Story, His Girl Friday, movies relied heavily on dialogue more than anything else.

cultshock 11-18-04 04:15 PM

Was there music during the scene in which Butch (Willis)
I believe that you could still faintly hear the music from downstairs in that scene (unless I'm remembering that wrong).

devilshalo 11-18-04 04:44 PM

See, I thought that the music doesn't start up until after he sees the katana.

jaeufraser 11-18-04 08:57 PM

Originally posted by devilshalo
See, I thought that the music doesn't start up until after he sees the katana.
The music starts when they shut the door on Bruce as he's gagged. The whole part of him untying himself and finding the weapon is done with that song playing.

Though Tarantino definately uses lots of scenes without dialogue. Say in Kill Bill when The Bride is in the coffin. Nothing but sound effects, no dialogue or music (well, music cues in later). Hell, you can barely see anything either.

auto 11-19-04 11:14 AM

Originally posted by PopcornTreeCt
I do agree with you, but I just write I don't direct. My favorite movies are ones like The Philadelphia Story, His Girl Friday, movies relied heavily on dialogue more than anything else.
As an exercise, you should try writing a scene (or even re-writing a scene you have already written) without dialogue. Much can be said in the expressions on actors faces and camera angles, perspective, etc. A script that can lead the director visually would be as valuable an asset as on that relies on smart dialogue.

If anything, I'm sure it would sharpen your skills as a script writer. Just an idea. :)