Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Evil Dead being REMADE....by Sam Raimi

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Evil Dead being REMADE....by Sam Raimi

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-13, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts
Re: Evil Dead being REMADE....by Sam Raimi

Originally Posted by RocShemp
I remember that. Awesome moment.

Another wonderful thing about the first movie is how it flips the script twice. Cheryl is set up as the "Final Girl" early in the film. It's practically screamed at you that she will be the one to survive all of this. Then she's not only suddenly raped but then subsequently possessed. This is around the time that Scotty steps up as the hero and the one to kick ass and take names. Only for then the whole focus to switch to a different protagonist. This time to the meekest of the characters, Ash.

Ash was the hero all along (the "Final Boy" as several film essays have labelled him) whereas Cheryl and Scotty were both red herrings of sorts.
See, this is where I kind of missed out when I finally saw the original Evil Dead. My first exposure to this was through Army of Darkness, so I knew all along Ash would be the hero. Didn't lessen my enjoyment, but I never thought of it that way. I love it when they have someone you least expect to survive being the hero of the movie. The most pleasant surprise I had was Deep Blue Sea with
Spoiler:
Thomas Jane and LL Cool J
Old 04-12-13, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
The most pleasant surprise I had was Deep Blue Sea with
Spoiler:
Thomas Jane and LL Cool J
I had a similar experience with that movie. However, in my case,
Spoiler:
I fully expected Thomas Jane to survive but was pleasantly surprised when LL Cool J survived. However, I was most thrilled when Saffron Burrows bit it. I like the actress but her character was such an insufferable bitch and with the teasing of a romance between her and Jane, I feared she'd swim off into the sunset with Thomas Jane as her beau.
Old 04-12-13, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Charlie Goose
It's slick and well-produced, and well-acted and stands okay on its own, but there's no comparing it to the original.
And this is what basically ruins all of these modern big budget remakes of classic low-budget horror flicks. The grungy low-grade look and feel of the originals is what made up 90% of their creepy vibe. Slick, over-produced contemporary "grindhouse" is an absurdity.
Old 04-12-13, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Ash was the hero all along (the "Final Boy" as several film essays have labelled him) whereas Cheryl and Scotty were both red herrings of sorts.
Where'd you read these essays? I'm sort of curious.

Originally Posted by asianxcore
Anyone notice the spike in prices for most of the Anchor Bay DVDs for Evil Dead 1 & 2?

The Book Of Dead Editions have been OOP for a while, but for a long time you couldn't give those away (used).
I picked up the three-disc "ultimate edition" of 1, the skull cover of 2, and the Screwhead Edition of AOD at my local FYE on sale to hype the new one.
Old 04-12-13, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst113
Where'd you read these essays? I'm sort of curious.
Carol J. Clover is the author you should look up. Specifically her book called Men, Women, and Chainsaws: Gender in the Modern Horror Film. There's a section where she discusses Ash and the Evil Dead series. Most of the other works I read derived much from that book and would cite it often.
Old 04-12-13, 01:24 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Guess ill look that one up.
Old 04-12-13, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
Guess ill look that one up.
I'm surprised that you of all people have never heard of it. What the hell do they teach in your damn film classes, other than fingering wiener dogs?
Old 04-12-13, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm surprised that you of all people have never heard of it. What the hell do they teach in your damn film classes, other than fingering wiener dogs?
Toss Salading weiner dogs?
Old 04-12-13, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Jules Winfield
Toss Salading weiner dogs?
Old 04-12-13, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I really, really, really, really wish I hadn't looked up what that meant.

Carol J. Clover is the author you should look up. Specifically her book called Men, Women, and Chainsaws: Gender in the Modern Horror Film. There's a section where she discusses Ash and the Evil Dead series. Most of the other works I read derived much from that book and would cite it often.
Ah, I've heard of this book, it seems to be fairly well-known, I think I've heard a number of film critics mention it. I'll have to check it out, see if a local library has it or something.
Old 04-17-13, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Saw this last night and think by the final act I was like...This is pretty generic. Nothing blew me away, nothing was new or innovative, and even the gore wasn't nearly as ramped up as I thought it would be. While I wasn't expecting the camp of the original films I did find myself laughing at this remake out of a weird kind of boredom.

Once scene in this remake I found particularity DISAPPOINTING:

Spoiler:
...was when the guy saw the page where the female had cut her face off. Then when go to the girl in the shower and you hear cutting and sawing of flesh...I mean the sound fx and tension was there and it was good. I was getting ready for this horrific scene....Shit...I fully expected to see some really great sfx of a faceless woman. Instead all we got was the girl with her cheek cut through. What?! What a missed opportunity for some real shocking gore!!!! You set it up so well then you guys dropped the ball!

Last edited by Giantrobo; 04-17-13 at 03:15 PM.
Old 04-17-13, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^ That's actually one device that I hated about the movie - they set every single action up ahead of time.
Old 04-17-13, 09:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Decent movie for a remake however, for those unfamilar (or didn't even know of its existence) with the original The Evil Dead will likely come away thinking this was a ripoff of The Cabin In The Woods...which I guess sorta ripped off The Evil Dead.
Old 04-17-13, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Sorta? No, it definitely ripped off Evil Dead. Among other things.
Old 04-17-13, 11:37 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst113
Sorta? No, it definitely ripped off Evil Dead. Among other things.
when I first saw the trailers for 'Cabin in the Woods' I immediately thought "oh, the new Evil Dead remake' and then realized 'oh... nope, something completely different'

seeing this later today - can't wait!!
Old 04-18-13, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
^ That's actually one device that I hated about the movie - they set every single action up ahead of time.
Fair enough. I didn't have an issue with it other than the lack of some really good payoffs.