Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

American Psycho question?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

American Psycho question?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-04, 01:56 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
American Psycho a hallucination?

Watched it again for the first time in 4 years.

They never found Paul Allen's body in the closet when the realter was selling his apartment.

Was it all an hallucination or a dream?
Old 11-13-04, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dude, don't put a huge SPOILER in your subject tag.
Old 11-13-04, 02:28 PM
Banned

The movie came out in 2000 so I assumed everyone that cared to see it would have seen it by now.
Old 11-13-04, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

There are movies that i've wanted to see but just never got around to. Just re-title it as 'American Psycho- Question about the ending?', or something like that.
Old 11-13-04, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts
Dude, there's movies from 40 years ago that people haven't seen yet and shouldn't be spoiled in a SUBJECT HEADER, of all places.

Imagine this for a subject line: (HUGE spoiler for Fight Club, which is 5 years old)

Spoiler:
FIGHT CLUB: Brad Pitt and Ed Norton are the same guy?

See what I mean?
Old 11-13-04, 04:18 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts
wait...was it all a hallucination?
Old 11-13-04, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts
Dude!
Old 11-13-04, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 189 Likes on 127 Posts
Originally posted by corycouger
The movie came out in 2000 so I assumed everyone that cared to see it would have seen it by now.
It doesn't matter how old a movie is, there are still a ton of people who haven't seen it.

You may want to try and change your thread title or delete it and start a new one - just a suggestion.
Old 11-13-04, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I'd say the thread title is enough to steer clear for any more possible spoilers within the body of a post. Regardless...

It's open for interpretation.
Old 11-13-04, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yes, you can go two ways.

He made it all up, or he didn't, and everyone was so stuck in their vapid selfish lives that they didn't notice/care. In the case of the realitor, she was so money motivated, she got rid of the body, knowing she could never sell the place if it was a murder scene.
Old 11-13-04, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by corycouger
I've been meaning to see Birth of a Nation and I think that movie is older than everyone who posts here.
Old 11-13-04, 08:07 PM

Spoiler:
Rosebud was the sled , but how did others know Rosebud was Kane's final word when he died in the room alone
Old 11-13-04, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Gattman
Spoiler:
Rosebud was the sled , but how did others know Rosebud was Kane's final word when he died in the room alone
Spoiler:
I believe I have heard that one answered before, if I remember correctly it was the butler sneaking around or some such and over heard it. Roger Ebert would know ask him.
Old 11-13-04, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,192 Likes on 1,497 Posts
It's all up to interpretation. I've read the book and seen the film, and neither is 100% certain on the subject. Some say that the murders, etc. all took place in Bateman's mind, some think it really happened. No one can say for sure except for the writer, and Ellis ain't telling.
Old 11-13-04, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Guinivere Turner, co-screenwriter of and actress in American Psycho said this in an interview with Ron Hogan in Bitch magazine:

Spoiler:
"When we wrote the script, we wanted it to be absolutely clear that he is actually killing people...And that's not what people are coming away with. They think it's all a dream, or all a fantasy. I was doing a roundtable discussion with a bunch of journalists, and this guy's first question was, "So did he do it or didn't he?" And I said he was really doing it, so he turns to the woman next to him and says, "See?"
Old 11-13-04, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Kind of like the whole Is Deckard a replicant thing. Then Ridley Scott ruined it. That bitch.
Old 11-14-04, 10:17 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts
Originally posted by BizRodian
Kind of like the whole Is Deckard a replicant thing. Then Ridley Scott ruined it. That bitch.
why? ridley actually admitted Deckard was a replicant? when? how? to who?
Old 11-14-04, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts
I think Ridley Scott said that in his version, Deckard is a replicant, and in the voice-over version, he isn't.
Old 11-14-04, 12:17 PM
sdk

Ellis who wrote the novel said in an interview that patrik makes everything up when he sits in his office. So i guess the screenwriter interpretaded the book wrong. So in the book he kill no one, in the film he does i guess. But i like to think of it like the book and that he does not kill anyone. Ellis said that the last phrace was the one that should give it away. "insides do matter" or something like this.
Old 11-14-04, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
Originally posted by Luther Heggs
Guinivere Turner, co-screenwriter of and actress in American Psycho said this in an interview with Ron Hogan in Bitch magazine:

Spoiler:
"When we wrote the script, we wanted it to be absolutely clear that he is actually killing people...And that's not what people are coming away with. They think it's all a dream, or all a fantasy. I was doing a roundtable discussion with a bunch of journalists, and this guy's first question was, "So did he do it or didn't he?" And I said he was really doing it, so he turns to the woman next to him and says, "See?"
Well it is hard to view as really happening because all the murder scenes are over the top, and Bateman is too into himself, everything seems so polished and perfect. It is just a vibe that is presented on screen.
Old 11-15-04, 02:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 478 Likes on 314 Posts
I feel awfully picky and anal for making this post, but...

Paul Allen's body was never at his apartment. Patrick got rid of it before going back to the apartment to make it appear as if Allen went away on a trip.

As he enters the apartment, the narration goes, 'After disposing of the body, I took the keys from Paul Allens pocket.'

Those were the bodies of dead hookers in the closet. Get it right, man!
Old 11-15-04, 05:08 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think it only happened in his head. No matter how self-absorbed you are, you're going to notice a naked guy with a chainsaw running around in a hall in the middle of the night. Also, the message on the ATM about feeding it a cat and the way he looks at the gun after shooting the cop car which then blows up are very surreal moments that couldn't happen.