Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

When musical scores are remarkably similar...

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

When musical scores are remarkably similar...

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-04, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: In my secret underground lair, plotting to TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!! Bwuaaahahahaha!!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I *think* some of the Star Wars music is almost a direct ripoff of Prokofiev's Love for Three Oranges. It has been a while since I have listened to the two pieces, so I am not sure which SW film it was from, or where in the film.
Old 11-10-04, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by littlefuzzy
I *think* some of the Star Wars music is almost a direct ripoff of Prokofiev's Love for Three Oranges. It has been a while since I have listened to the two pieces, so I am not sure which SW film it was from, or where in the film.
Yes, it is basically the Ewok March from ROTJ.

http://www.boosey.com/sound/publishi...rokofieff2.ram
Old 11-10-04, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

And, the Star Wars Main Title is a complete ripoff of Erich Korngold's King's Row main title.

http://www.reelclassics.com/Audio_Vi...title_clip.mp3
Old 11-10-04, 08:37 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
... chances are it's Danny Elfman. Don't get me wrong I think he's talented and I loved [Oingo] Boingo, but all his soundtracks sound essentially the same IMHO.
Old 11-10-04, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Williams was quite a practitioner of the Korngold idiom. But so many contemporary adventure scores have been influenced by Korngold, and yes, there are similiarities to Kings Row (no apostrophe) and other scores, but it's not a complete rip-off -- it's more of an homage like the movies themselves.
Old 11-10-04, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
First thing I thought of when reading the thread title was "James Horner".
Old 11-11-04, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'd say Hans Zimmer is pretty bad with this too.
Old 11-11-04, 02:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Eplicon
Williams was quite a practitioner of the Korngold idiom. But so many contemporary adventure scores have been influenced by Korngold, and yes, there are similiarities to Kings Row (no apostrophe) and other scores, but it's not a complete rip-off -- it's more of an homage like the movies themselves.
I'm not calling Williams a hack or a thief by any means, but to call Star Wars an homage to Kings Row seems a bit silly. One has nothing to do with the other in terms of genre, story or setting.
Old 11-11-04, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Poor choice of words. When I said "other scores," I was referring to The Adventures of Robin Hood and The Sea Hawk, not specifically to Kings Row, even though that style of music is still in Korngold's swashbuckling style.

(For those who don't know the story, when Korngold heard his next project was going to be Kings Row, his mistook the title as another adventure film and wrote the theme before he even saw a rough cut.)
Old 11-11-04, 08:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The reason Wolfen and Aliens scores sound similar is because they were both done by James Horner, who is by far the composer most likely to rehash his own material over and over again.

To answer the broad question of why 2 scores might sound alike, most of the time its because while the filmmakers are assembling their movies, they put score segments from other scores into it while they are working on it to get a feel of how the film plays with music. Often, they fall in love with the way a score piece fits into their movie so when the composer begins composing his score, the filmmakers ask him to make his music similar to the peices they had in there.

Originally posted by Toad
I know that some music from the Indiana Jones trilogy is the same as the Star Wars trilogy, both by John Williams.
This statement is not true.

Originally posted by Mondo Kane
Anyone know why Scream 2 used Broken Arrow's music?
Marco Beltrami composed original music for all those scenes, and you can find that music on the official soundtrack CD. For whatever reason, the filmmakers dropped his music and replaced it with music from the "Broken Arrow" score. Most likely, that was the music they temp-tracked with, and fell in love with it and didn't like Beltrami's music as much, so just paid Fox for the use of the music.
Old 11-11-04, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally posted by nemein
... chances are it's Danny Elfman.
double
Old 11-11-04, 10:42 AM

Best musical scorer to date?

Jon Brion. After Eternal Sunshine and I <3 Huckabees, this man can do no wrong.
Old 11-11-04, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Ted The Bug
The reason Wolfen and Aliens scores sound similar is because they were both done by James Horner, who is by far the composer most likely to rehash his own material over and over again.

To answer the broad question of why 2 scores might sound alike, most of the time its because while the filmmakers are assembling their movies, they put score segments from other scores into it while they are working on it to get a feel of how the film plays with music. Often, they fall in love with the way a score piece fits into their movie so when the composer begins composing his score, the filmmakers ask him to make his music similar to the peices they had in there.

This statement is not true.

Marco Beltrami composed original music for all those scenes, and you can find that music on the official soundtrack CD. For whatever reason, the filmmakers dropped his music and replaced it with music from the "Broken Arrow" score. Most likely, that was the music they temp-tracked with, and fell in love with it and didn't like Beltrami's music as much, so just paid Fox for the use of the music.
Did you read any of this thread? I thought all of these questions were already answered.
Old 11-11-04, 01:18 PM
Banned

and

Same composer.
Old 11-11-04, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally posted by nemein
... chances are it's Danny Elfman. Don't get me wrong I think he's talented and I loved [Oingo] Boingo, but all his soundtracks sound essentially the same IMHO.
You beat me to it...first thing I thought of.
Old 11-11-04, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 848 Likes on 592 Posts
Originally posted by Chim
Best musical scorer to date?

Jon Brion. After Eternal Sunshine and I <3 Huckabees, this man can do no wrong.
It's not in-line with what's being discussed, but I have to agree that he is great.

You seemed to have missed his wonderful score for Magnolia and his great work on Punch-Drunk Love.

He's a helluva producer too... with wonderful work on Fiona Apple's and a Aimee Mann's CDs.
Old 11-12-04, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Some Thomas Newman scores are similar to each other:

It's been a while since I've seen it, but I remember hearing some music in Erin Brockovich that sounded remarkably similar to American Beauty. The score to Road to Perdition is also similar to AB.

Also, in Finding Nemo, during the scene where
Spoiler:
the fish escape from the net
the music sounds a lot like something from his score to The Shawshank Redemption, and I think Newman did it as a deliberate homage to that film.
Old 10-05-06, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Commando and Beverly Hills Cop 2
Old 10-07-06, 11:55 AM

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts
woooooo, I'm a ghooooooost threaaaaaad, wooooooo.

Watching multiple horror movies this month, I've noticed that Mark of the Devil and Cannibal Holocaust have virtually identical incongruent opening themes.

I also disagree with Star Wars sounding like Raiders. Other than sounding like John Williams, they aren't the same.
Old 10-07-06, 12:29 PM

Jerry Goldsmith's U.S. Marshals and Star Trek: Insurrection scores use identical music. And those movies came out only a few months apart.
Old 10-07-06, 12:59 PM
Banned

Totally. Elfman's "Good Will Hunting" score sounds EXACTLY like his "Pee-wee's Big Adventure" score.
Old 10-07-06, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
I've found the scores in Truman Show and The Hours both scored by Philip Glass to be similar sounding. But since I love how it sounds I don't mind at all.
Old 10-07-06, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 236 Likes on 169 Posts
Das Boot and The Never-Ending Story have similar scores. Maybe because composer Klaus Doldinger did both movie.
Old 10-08-06, 05:49 PM

I hate to pile on Horner because I do like the guy, but he basically uses the exact same theme in Sneakers, Bicentennial Man and A Beautiful Mind.
Old 10-10-06, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Whoever wrote the score for TOMMY BOY was apparently listening to a lot of DAVE by Howard and MIDNIGHT RUN by Elfman.

The scores to THE FIRM and THE USUAL SUSPECTS sound like the percussion sections from JFK.

Jerry Goldsmith's score to THE SHADOW sounded like bad Elfman.

As for Horner? Well, his self-plagiarism is so noticeable (that rising crescendo can be heard so similarly in TITANIC, STII: TWOK, KRULL and ALIENS that it takes me out of the movie) that it's a wonder why he isn't more roundly criticized for his work.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.