Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Anyone Else Anxious For The Serenity Movie?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-04, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all, during the course of the last week I watched the Firefly series on DVD and it made me an instant fan of this vehicle.......the marriage of scifi and western was right up my alley, a hodge-podge of X-Files, Indiana Jones, Star Wars and who knows what else....with a great ensemble cast. I consider myself one of the lucky ones for not having been subjected to seeing its' cancellation in 2002. Three cheers to Joss Whedon for giving this series new life by making it a theatrical project and to the entire cast for coming back.
Anyway, I'm definitely looking forward to a few trailers and the movie itsellf come next spring and hoping it's timing is right to make a healthy enough profit to stay alive as a theatrical franchise, or even better, to return to the small screen again......that would be a hell of an anomoly wouldn't it?
Old 11-06-04, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Oh, I was one of those who cares, Whedon fucked up Alien 4 guys. But after watching the series, well what can I say I loved it. and I hate TV sci-fi shows.

So yes, I'm quite excited to see this one come out. The crew is great, and hopefully this'll end up being a franchise. I know I'll be there next April. I'm curious if they'll let him keep the no sound in space thing...I enjoyed that.

I seriously doubt this will ever end up back on the little screen though. That...like...doesn't happen.
Old 11-07-04, 01:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nope, sorry.
Old 11-07-04, 01:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Whedon fucked up Alien 4 guys.
Don't blame Whedon completely on Alien 4. There are other people to blame on that one (such as Jeunet, the studio, the producers, etc).
Old 11-07-04, 02:52 AM

Originally posted by Matthew Chmiel
Don't blame Whedon completely on Alien 4. There are other people to blame on that one (such as Jeunet, the studio, the producers, etc).
Well I don't blame him. If anything it's the studio and Sigourney's and Jeunet's fault. The movie barely resembles the script he wrote (though in truth his original script wasn't really that good an idea to begin with). But prior to Firefly, I had no familiarity with his other work so that's all I really had to say about him. Never watched Buffy so...
Old 11-07-04, 03:01 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally posted by jaeufraser
Well I don't blame him. If anything it's the studio and Sigourney's and Jeunet's fault. The movie barely resembles the script he wrote (though in truth his original script wasn't really that good an idea to begin with). But prior to Firefly, I had no familiarity with his other work so that's all I really had to say about him. Never watched Buffy so...
WATCH BUFFY!
Old 11-07-04, 03:44 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
I'm anxious for it. I loved firefly and enjoyed Joss' other work to date.

I hope it does do well and warrents some more films in the line of firefly core cast. I can't get enough of them.
Old 11-07-04, 04:33 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by GizmoDVD
WATCH BUFFY!
2nd that!
Old 11-07-04, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
I'm anxious for it. I loved firefly and enjoyed Joss' other work to date.

I hope it does do well and warrents some more films in the line of firefly core cast. I can't get enough of them.
It really is a super cast. Took a bit of warming up to for me in regards to Nathan Fillion but the more episodes I watched the more I appreciated his portrayal. I feel lucky in one regard in that I've got 15 episodes to watch and unlucky in that they cancelled such a great show. Watching the Making Of Firefly extra, Joss seemed very passionate about this particular project and the fact that he's bringing this to the bigscreen seems to bespeak of that. Given that this is a second chance of sorts for the series I'd hate to see it die on the vine at the theatres.....I have NO doubt the movie will have a big audience on DVD down the road, but that probably wouldn't translate to it staying alive for several new installments.
Old 11-07-04, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm too eager for this. 2005 will be a geek heaven, along with Serenity (wonder why he didn't keep it as Firefly?), SW: E3 and Batman Begins are the other films I'm anxious to see.
But enough about them.
I too wonder what Whedon will keep or remove, cuz for what I hear Fox has pretty much kept thier hands off-so this will be a true Whedon film.
Old 11-07-04, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
I am wondering how they will sell this as it is a movie from a series that was cancelled before it ever really found an audience and doesn't have much of a base right now.
Old 11-07-04, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Looking online Im seeing that this is positioned to open the same weekend as I Walk The Line, which I figure is going to open strong. Granted the core fans and the sci-fi lovers will be there regardless.
Old 11-07-04, 04:02 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts
isn't this that?
over here...
Old 11-07-04, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Originally posted by scott1598
isn't this that?
over here...

You judging repost now?

Oh man, silly boy, you crack me. up.
Old 11-07-04, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by scott1598
[B]isn't this that?
[URL=http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=385164]over here...
Kind of.
Old 11-07-04, 06:51 PM
Banned

not many people even saw the series so i doubt they'll even get that big of a built in audience; i'm surprised they even greenlit this movie
Old 11-07-04, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts
The strength of the DVD set presales on Amazon or something is what convinced Universal to greenlight it. I think I read the budget isn't too unholy, so if it at least makes that back, it will make it's profits on DVD.
Old 11-07-04, 06:59 PM

I'm surprised it got greenlit, but honestly I think we need to understand that if this movie makes say 60 million dollars, that'll be considered a success. This is what...a 40 million dollar movie opening in April. So it's needs in terms of being considered a hit aren't the same as your average blockbuster.

I'll be there, so that's 8 bucks right there.
Old 11-07-04, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I'll be there also. This type of film will get all the hardcore audiance and will also get some folks who are curious about the show in general. This means foxs profits off sold series sets and universal profits off a low cost film.
Old 11-07-04, 08:54 PM

You judging repost now?

Oh man, silly boy, you crack me. up.
Boooo! I had a bet with myself before I clicked on the thread that within the first 5 posts you would have a "this should be in this thread" comment.

Total let down.
Old 11-07-04, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
I was gonna say Barry Woodward is looking forward to it.
Old 11-08-04, 05:00 AM

Old 11-08-04, 05:35 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally posted by Joem
Boooo! I had a bet with myself before I clicked on the thread that within the first 5 posts you would have a "this should be in this thread" comment.

Total let down.
Well that thread is really a Barry Woodword posting fest if you ask me. I don't think anyone else is really allowed to post in it. Last time I did post something that didn't meet with his approval on how the thread should go then it gets deleted and restarted...

Not what I call friendly thread topic, if you ask me.

So I like to leave it to Barry's post only.
Old 11-08-04, 07:55 AM

Last time I did post something that didn't meet with his approval on how the thread should go then it gets deleted and restarted...
Old 11-08-04, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 513 Likes on 353 Posts
I'll certainly go see it! With Firefly, Messr. Whedon completely redeemed himself after subjecting me to the Buffyverse for so many years.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.