Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves (2023, D: Goldstein/Daley) - S: Pine

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves (2023, D: Goldstein/Daley) - S: Pine

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-18, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts
re: Dungeons & Dragons (D: Goldstein/Daley) - S: Pine

Skip the movie, make a quality animated series on Netflix, HBO, wherever.
Old 02-21-18, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by devilshalo

Paramount also carved out a July 23, 2021 date for Dungeons & Dragons, based on the table top roll playing game.

As for Dungeons & Dragons, Jeremy Irons appeared in an ill-fated 2000 adaptation for New Line. More recently, property became embroiled in a legal battle over who had the rights to make a film based on it, with a 2015 settlement appearing to pave the way for Warner Bros. to move ahead with a long-gestating project. As recently as last year, Warners was developing a project, with Ansel Elgort in early talks to star, however, The Hollywood Reporter has confirmed the property is no longer with the studio.
I’m a little late, but ... ROLL playing?
Old 02-21-18, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
I’m a little late, but ... ROLL playing?
Well, I guess you do roll dice in D&D, but yeah.
Old 02-21-18, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 723 Likes on 528 Posts

I just cut & paste...
Old 02-21-18, 02:38 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jeremy Irons was in BOTH Dungeons & Dragons AND Eragon?! What the fuck was he smoking back then?!
Old 02-21-18, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by James T. Kirk
Jeremy Irons was in BOTH Dungeons & Dragons AND Eragon?! What the fuck was he smoking back then?!
Marrakesh Express of the asses of barely legal Thai twin sisters on the deck of his new yacht, anchored off his private island in the Abacos.
Old 02-21-18, 03:14 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
Marrakesh Express of the asses of barely legal Thai twin sisters on the deck of his new yacht, anchored off his private island in the Abacos.
This answer wins the Internet!
Old 02-21-18, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 279 Likes on 233 Posts

The animated Dungeons and Dragons was so good and at times so creepy (the Golem episode still creeps me out to this very day)...I could have sworn we were going to get a reboot of the show and it was reported on DVD Talk quite some time back.

Oh well, the movie (which I saw in theaters) was...not great, so a reboot does not have a high bar to clear to surpass the original. I even watched the DTV sequels so I would absolutely be game to see a new D & D film in theaters.
Old 07-30-19, 04:37 PM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

Jonathan Goldstein and John Francis Daley — the duo behind New Line's sleeper hit Game Night — are in talks to direct the long-gestating Dungeons & Dragons movie for Paramount.

Goldstein and Daley, who recently exited Warner Bros.' stand-alone Flash movie, will be replacing Lego Batman director Chris McKay, who was previously attached to direct and is now set for Chris Pratt starrer Ghost Draft.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he..._medium=social
Old 08-01-19, 12:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
I literally hope this movie is just a bunch of nerds sitting in a half-finished basement playing the game with paper manuals for 150 minutes.
Actually I think it already exsists: Mazes and Monsters (1982)
Old 08-01-19, 02:28 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 279 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by incomjoe
Actually I think it already exsists: Mazes and Monsters (1982)
I could swear I saw that film on tv...but really fuzzy memories of any scenes in the film.
Old 08-02-19, 04:05 AM

Originally Posted by Inhumans99

I could swear I saw that film on tv...but really fuzzy memories of any scenes in the film.
Quite possible. It had lot of re-runs...Tom Hanks in the movie is SO deep in RPG that he became his character... Maybe familiar to anyone who played D&D back in the years...
Old 08-02-19, 05:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

I believe Mazes and Monsters was made for TV. I remember seeing it on TV when i was a kid and I vividly recall Tom Hanks on the top of the World Trade Center at the end.
Old 08-02-19, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,931 Likes on 1,493 Posts

The animated Dungeons and Dragons was so good and at times so creepy (the Golem episode still creeps me out to this very day)...I could have sworn we were going to get a reboot of the show and it was reported on DVD Talk quite some time back.
I posted this in another thread before, but I think that rumor was because they were filming this car commercial:

Old 08-03-19, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by james2025a
I believe Mazes and Monsters was made for TV. I remember seeing it on TV when i was a kid and I vividly recall Tom Hanks on the top of the World Trade Center at the end.
Infact a TV movie.
Old 12-14-20, 04:31 PM

Chris Pine is negotiating a deal to star in Dungeons & Dragons, the live action film based on Hasbro’s massively popular role-playing game from Wizards of the Coast. Hasbro/eOne and Paramount are jointly producing and financing, with eOne distributing in the UK and Canada, and Paramount the rest of the world.

Jonathan Goldstein & John Francis Daley will direct a script they’ve written, based on a draft by Michael Gilio.

Goldstein & Daley had been set in 2019 to direct a film that will feature an ensemble cast and take a subversive approach to the game. Landing Pine, who has been the linchpin of the Star Trek film series for Paramount, is a strong start for what the studios hope will be a new franchise launch. They’re making plans to shoot first quarter of next year in Belfast. Goldstein & Daley were hired off the dark comedy Game Night, and after scripting Spider-Man: Homecoming.
Old 12-16-20, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 398 Likes on 321 Posts
re: Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves (2023, D: Goldstein/Daley) - S: Pine

Chris Pine as to fill the big shoes of Justin Whalin.
Old 12-16-20, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts
re: Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves (2023, D: Goldstein/Daley) - S: Pine

Oh well, the movie (which I saw in theaters) was...not great, so a reboot does not have a high bar to clear to surpass the original. I even watched the DTV sequels so I would absolutely be game to see a new D & D film in theaters.
I saw almost every episode of D&D back in the day as it was my "must see" Saturday morning cartoon in its time. Which episode was the one with the Golem? I can't go with your description because quite frankly, many of the episodes creeped me out in the day. Animated series of the 80s did some body horror that would make even David Cronenberg wince.

In terms of the approach I think they should take for the movie, I say make something fun that doesn't tarnish the source material with original characters. Then, as perhaps a post or mid-credits scene, have someone come across the remnants of what appears to be a theme park ride cart...
Old 03-02-21, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 723 Likes on 528 Posts

Hugh Grant, Sophia Lillis Join Chris Pine in 'Dungeons & Dragons' Movie
MARCH 02, 2021 2:07PM by Borys Kit

Hugh Grant has been cast in the main antagonist role in the big-budget feature adaptation of the popular fantasy role-playing game from Wizards on the Coast. At the same time, Sophia Lillis, best known for her work in the It horror movies, has also joined the bold-faced name of the production that also includes Chris Pine, Michelle Rodriguez, Justice Smith and Regé-Jean Page.

The game is known for its war games, treasure hunts, camaraderie and reversals of fortune, all in a fantasy setting that combines humans, elves, orcs and hundreds of other creatures. The game famously uses multi-sided dice in gameplay and is overseen by a host known as the Dungeon Master. It is not known whether the story is a straight-up fantasy or incorporates the storytelling and game-playing aspects.

Plot details are being kept under wraps but it is known that Grant will play an antagonist named Forge Fletcher while Lillis' character is named Doric.

Jonathan Goldstein and John Francis Daley — the duo behind New Line's sleeper hit Game Night — are set to direct with Paramount and eOne jointly producing and financing. eOne will distribute in the UK and Canada while Paramount distributes in the rest of world.

Jeremy Latcham is producing via his deal with eOne, Hasbro’s entertainment arm. Hasbro’s Brian Goldner is also producing.

Grant last starred in HBO’s drama The Undoing for which he was highly praised, earning Golden Globe, SAG, and Critics Choice Award nominations. He is currently shooting Five Eyes, an action thriller that once again reunites him with Guy Ritchie, who directed him in The Man from U.N.C.L.E. and last year’s crime caper, The Gentlemen.

Lillis broke through starring as Beverly March in New Line’s hit adaptation of Stephen King novel, It. She followed that up with a starring turn in Netflix’s short-lived series, I Am Not Okay With This, and can be currently seen opposite Paul Bettany in road trip movie Uncle Frank on Amazon.

Grant is repped by CAA while Lillis is repped by CAA, Untitled, and attorney Ryan LeVine.
Old 03-02-21, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

No way Grant will be able to live up to fellow Brit Jeremy Irons's performance.

Old 04-21-22, 12:39 PM

Jonathan Goldstein and John Francis Daley’s upcoming Dungeons & Dragons movie will be called Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves, Paramount and eOne announced today.

Dungeons & Dragons is a fantasy tabletop role-playing game created by Gary Gygax and Dave Arneson, which was first published by Tactical Studies Rules, Inc. in 1974, and has been distributed by Hasbro subsidiary Wizards of the Coast since 1997. The plot of the film starring Chris Pine, Michelle Rodriguez, Regé-Jean Page, Justice Smith, Sophia Lillis, Chloe Coleman, Daisy Head and Hugh Grant has thus far been kept under wraps.

Goldstein, Daley and Michael Michael Gilio adapted the screenplay from a story by Chris McKay and Gilio, which was itself based on Hasbro’s game. Jeremy Latcham, Brian Goldner and Nick Meyer are producing, with Denis L. Stewart, Goldstein, Daley, Pine, Zev Foreman and Greg Mooradian exec producing the film, set for release on March 3, 2023.

Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves‘ release weekend is currently wide open. A TV adaptation of the classic RPG game, spearheaded by Red Notice helmer Rawson Marshall Thurber, is also in the works at eOne.
https://deadline.com/2022/04/dungeon...le-1235007444/
Old 04-21-22, 12:55 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts
Re: Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves (2023, D: Goldstein/Daley) - S: Pine

I want a Mazes & Monsters reboot with Tom Hanks.
Old 04-24-22, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts
Re: Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves (2023, D: Goldstein/Daley) - S: Pine

I'm not insinuating anything, but there is a resemblance.

Old 07-20-22, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

Old 07-21-22, 05:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The fuck did i just watch?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.