Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Bush named "Movie Villain of the Year"

Old 10-30-04, 05:56 PM

Originally posted by baracine
You mean: like this?
Vote here
Benoit: Just because an election was close doesn't mean somebody cheated. My wife occasionally has to explain this to her students when they vote on activities. Her 2nd grade students. Bush won the 2000 election fair and square. Your childish links will never change that. Understand this; Americans do not give a rat's ass what other nations think about our elections. We don't care what Canada thinks either.

Last edited by mjlukich; 10-30-04 at 06:06 PM.
Old 10-31-04, 01:31 AM
Suspended

Originally posted by mjlukich
Benoit: Just because an election was close doesn't mean somebody cheated. My wife occasionally has to explain this to her students when they vote on activities. Her 2nd grade students. Bush won the 2000 election fair and square. Your childish links will never change that. Understand this; Americans do not give a rat's ass what other nations think about our elections. We don't care what Canada thinks either.
I'm sorry you feel that way because the only reason the rest of the world has any sympathy for you right now is that we want to believe you didn't actually vote for the asshole.

Last edited by baracine; 10-31-04 at 01:02 AM.
Old 10-31-04, 04:24 AM
Banned

Understand this; Americans do not give a rat's ass what other nations think about our elections. We don't care what Canada thinks either.
Old 10-31-04, 04:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Bush won the 2000 election fair and square. Your childish links will never change that.
A lot of Americans disagree. A lot. A fucking lot.

Understand this; Americans do not give a rat's ass what other nations think about our elections. We don't care what Canada thinks either.
Speak for yourself.
Old 10-31-04, 05:04 AM
Banned

Old 10-31-04, 06:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Uhh....last I checked, that majority of the American populace didn't vote for Bush in the past election. By saying the popular vote doesn't count for anything is like saying the actual opinion of the American people doesn't matter, it's only what the electoral college says.
And FWIW, it is very rude to insult someone from another country just because they happen to have an opinion that is *gasp* anti-Bush!
Baracine thinks The Messenger is a great movie, I fail to see that, but I don't go attacking his country or character for it.

In all honesty, seeing all these Canadian newspaper pics makes me wish I lived in Canada. If it weren't so difficult to immigrate there as an American (not to mention it's so darn cold), I would be living there myself if I could.
Old 10-31-04, 07:24 AM
Suspended

Originally posted by Dr. DVD
In all honesty, seeing all these Canadian newspaper pics makes me wish I lived in Canada. If it weren't so difficult to immigrate there as an American (not to mention it's so darn cold), I would be living there myself if I could.
There'll be plenty of room. If Bush gets elected (for the first time), we're moving to Iceland.

With respect, I am reproducing here an e-mail message I got from an American penpal from Oregon last Friday. Greg is semi-retired, a film-buff, has a French name but is 100 % American. This is what he wrote to me after I sent him three links to anti-Bush websites. In Greg's case, this is preaching to the converted. I have included the links in brackets - some of which are swamped right now - for your convenience in this otherwise unedited message:

Dear Benoît:

I've been preoccupied of late with preparations for and then the visit of a friend from Albany, New York, who had never before been to the northwestern corner of the U.S. We had a very pleasant visit, with side trips to Seattle and to the central Oregon coast (where the surf obliged with some spectacularly storm-tossed vistas).

Now, of course, with most of the sane, clear-eyed and non-conservative citizens of this country, who refuse to live in willfully ignorant obliviousness as to what's been going on since the so-called "election" of 2000, I'm on tenterhooks, dreading the outcome of what may occur next Tuesday. The proverbial Sword of Damocles has never seemed such a vivid reality. Worst-case scenario: Dubya slithering back onto his ill-gotten throne... We, and most of the rest of the world, are literally doomed!

You'll forgive my being somewhat incommunicado until after the results are finally (if ever) tabulated.

Should a more favorable outcome occur and the U.S. of A. would once more have a First Lady who isn't some kind of sexless robot, thus being the first real human being to stand by her husband's side in the White House since Gawd-knows-when, I'll perhaps finally plug in that DVD of Helen of Troy (which arrived a few weeks ago), and feel like life might be worth living again!

Thanks for your three e-mails today!

The elaborate one about Dubya's non-qualifications, horrendous list of depredations, etc., etc., ad nauseum [http://www.tamegoeswild.com/thedaily.../05/bushcv.htm], is something I'd seen and been appalled by several times before.

Haven't yet perused that extensive "Happy Halloween!" thingie [Click here to know how Dracula voted in 2000:
http://www.negativespin.com/monsters.htm]
but feel that it should provide some ghoulish amusement prior to November 2nd.

As for those videos from Holland ("of all places") [http://www.boomchicago.nl/Section/La...oVotingMachine], was the Florida election ballot one supposed to take an eternity to load and then... nada - zero - zip? A blank screen? (Which would be cute, but one never knows with those transmitted videos over the Internet.) The Kerry/Clinton one played but I'm afraid that the Dutch sense of humor is even more skewed than that of the British, though I liked the crack about Clinton telling Kerry that, if he said "nuance" just one more time, he (Clinton) would have another heart attack. Believe me, there are a lot of Democrats and anyone-but-Bush voters here who feel exactly the same way.

I'm personally not tremendously enthusiastic about the Senator from Massachusetts, but I know he'll make an infinitely better President than the slimeball who's been illegally occupying the White House for the past four years. You should have read the exchange between me and my oh-so-pious sister down in Woodland Hills, California, who expressed some grave misgivings about voting for Kerry (despite her total dislike of his opponent) because he "supports" abortion, stem-cell research, etc. Single-issue voters ought to be consigned to the same Hell from which emerged the entire Bush family, all of his whorish Administration, every single person who voted for him before and intends to do so now, et al.! May God eternally damn them all, without any possibility of a deathbed repentance or conversion and without the benefit of the tiniest shred of Divine Mercy.

So there!

GREGOIRE

Later that day, Greg wrote this:

Must go! How I envy you Canadians in so many ways, but especially now with the maw of Hell about to open before us down here. If Dubya "wins" would you sponsor me as a political asylum refugee?

Au revoir, mon ami,

GREG

I'm adding this:

Last edited by baracine; 10-31-04 at 09:38 AM.
Old 10-31-04, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Baracine thinks The Messenger is a great movie
That's almost as bad as voting for Bush.
Old 10-31-04, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This thread seems to have gone horribly wrong.