Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

I talked to Luc Besson tonight and he said...

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-04, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Luc Besson did a two hour master class at UCLA tonight, answering questions for the full two hours. He's really nice and seemingly a down to earth guy. Anyway, I learned a few things tonight:

- There will be no sequel to Leon. It's all Internet bullshit.

- He wrote Leon in just two weeks in a fit of anger after his script for The Fifth Element was rejected.

- In Leon, he originally wrote it with Mathilda, wearing twenty grenades, blowing up Stansfield, a bunch of cops and herself.

- Besson is dissatisfied with his work in La Femme Nikita. He wanted to change the ending.

- He grew up without a television.

- He has no formal education in film.

- He said he was satisfied with The Transporter, but his answer wasn't that enthusiastic. His only real statement about it was that it had a first time director and that Jason Statham was good in it (it seemed like he was implying that Jason was the only real good thing about the film. But that is my own conjecture).
Old 10-29-04, 01:28 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So no word at all on a Mr. Shadow?
Old 10-29-04, 01:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nice stuff, I had heard about the first draft of Leon. It sounded interesting.
Old 10-29-04, 01:34 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
TAXI 2?
Old 10-29-04, 07:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: I talked to Luc Besson tonight and he said...

Originally posted by Wannabe
- There will be no sequel to Leon. It's all Internet bullshit.
Thank God!
Old 10-29-04, 07:28 AM
Suspended

Any insight on how a man with no formal schooling in film came up with what is possibly the best-crafted film in the history of the universe... The Fifth Element?

Last edited by baracine; 10-31-04 at 01:53 AM.
Old 10-29-04, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 203 Likes on 157 Posts
Originally posted by baracine
Any insight on how a man with no formal schooling in film came up with was is possibly the best-crafted film in the history of the universe... The Fifth Element?

You're being sarcastic right?

Don't get me wrong, I love the movie, but I just don't see it as being the best crafted film in the history of the universe.
I do know that 5th Element was the movie that Besson more or less set out to make in his career, and he had tried to get it launched for a long time. I actually seem to recall reading somewhere that he wrote the earliest draft of the story when he was just fourteen or fifteen, so that would definitely be a long time in development.
Old 10-29-04, 09:37 AM

Did he say anything about Danny the Dog or Transporter 2? Thanks for the info!
Old 10-29-04, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Any insight on how a man with no formal schooling in film came up with was is possibly the best-crafted film in the history of the universe... The Fifth Element?
He grew up with his parents, who were divers. He spent a lot of time travelling around the Greek Islands as a youngster. Later, his parents worked (and I assume lived) at Club Med; he learned a lot from watching repeated perfomances of Club Med's daily theatrical show. He learned what works with the audience as he watched the performers refine and evolve their performances over time.

Someone asked him why he hasn't been directing and Besson stated that he hasn't had anything to say as a director. However, as a producer, he's making 10-15 movies a year.

He didn't speak much about upcoming projects.
Old 10-29-04, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Wannabe
Someone asked him why he hasn't been directing and Besson stated that he hasn't had anything to say as a director.
Somebody put this guy in a room with Jean Reno and force him to direct again!
Old 10-29-04, 10:55 AM

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts
Any mention of The Big Blue or Subway?
Old 10-29-04, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I would of thanked Luc Besson for making Leon, possibly the greatest movie ever made. I watched it again yesterday and its probably my favorite movie. Almost every shot in that movie is frame-worthy. Luc Besson is one of the greatest.
Old 10-29-04, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

PopcornTreeCt, what does "would of" mean?
Old 10-29-04, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by PixyJunket
PopcornTreeCt, what does "would of" mean?
Oops I see what I did. Its supposed to be the contraction for would have = would've. I guess I ought to stop spelling the way I speak.
Old 10-29-04, 01:12 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by Dr. DVD
You're being sarcastic right?
I wouldn't joke about this film. It is beyond brilliant.
Old 10-29-04, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,201 Likes on 1,505 Posts
That's cool, I would have loved to have the opportunity to attend that presentation.

He said he was satisfied with The Transporter, but his answer wasn't that enthusiastic. His only real statement about it was that it had a first time director and that Jason Statham was good in it
Corey Yuen Kwai directed many films in HK before he did THE TRANSPORTER.
Old 10-29-04, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by cultshock
Corey Yuen Kwai directed many films in HK before he did THE TRANSPORTER.
I think he was referring to Louis Leterrier, who, I think, directed everything but the action scenes.
Old 10-29-04, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I wouldn't joke about this film. It is beyond brilliant.
Care to elaborate?
Old 10-29-04, 07:26 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by Dr. DVD
Care to elaborate?
Both the concept and the execution are brilliant. The concept: a comedy about the end of the world, reaffirming the power of love over war, death and evil and milking all sci-fi conventions for laughs and thrills in the process.

I'm not suprised it was years in the planning because the action is like that of a fine piece of clockwork, every "element" embedding itself in the next one with a perfect fit.

This film takes the viewer over and totally overwhelms him in the ride of his life.

The execution: Everything from the casting, the costumes, the music, the sets, the pacing, the special effects, the acting* and the editing is the mark of a great master. I am particularly impressed by the fact that this film was conceived "in French" and executed "in English" for a wider market. Nevertheless, it received the "César" (French Oscar) for Best Film of the Year. Well deserved, I think.

*Mila Jovovich's "rebirth" scene, although purely physical, convinced me that she has the chops of a genuine actress.
Old 10-29-04, 07:43 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Tons of famous directors had no formal film education.
Old 10-29-04, 08:08 PM
Banned

Both the concept and the execution are brilliant. The concept: a comedy about the end of the world, reaffirming the power of love over war, death and evil and milking all sci-fi conventions for laughs and thrills in the process.

I'm not suprised it was years in the planning because the action is like that of a fine piece of clockwork, every "element" embedding itself in the next one with a perfect fit.

This film takes the viewer over and totally overwhelms him in the ride of his life.

The execution: Everything from the casting, the costumes, the music, the sets, the pacing, the special effects, the acting* and the editing is the mark of a great master. I am particularly impressed by the fact that this film was conceived "in French" and executed "in English" for a wider market. Nevertheless, it received the "César" (French Oscar) for Best Film of the Year. Well deserved, I think.
Jesus, over-exaggerate much? Chris Tucker as Ruby Rhod alone will ensure that this film will never, ever, NEVER be considered "brilliant". ANd that's coming from someone who enjoys the movie, owns it and watches it from time to time. Leon puts this to shame in every possible way.
Old 10-29-04, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

*Mila Jovovich's "rebirth" scene, although purely physical, convinced me that she has the chops of a genuine actress.
Okay..........

I'll buy it! Not so sure about Milla, but hey, another man's trash is another's treasure.
Not quite accurate statement, as I love the movie myself. How about one man's beer is another's fine wine?
Old 10-29-04, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've enjoyed every film Besson has directed a lot.

Every one I've seen where he's just the writer though, I've not enjoyed.

You're very lucky to have attended this. I wish I could have.

Glad to hear the Leon 2 stuff is bullshit.
Old 10-29-04, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You even enjoyed The Messenger?
Old 10-29-04, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I hear theres gonna be a Leon 2.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.