Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Most realistic Sword battles

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Most realistic Sword battles

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-04, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 723 Likes on 528 Posts
Originally posted by tofu
I'd have to go with the ones in Seven Samurai as the most realistic.
Same here. Nothing pretty or graceful. If I want pretty and graceful, I'll watch CTHD.
Old 10-19-04, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts
Originally posted by RocShemp
Say what you will about the movie, the swordplay in The 13th Warrior was very good. You could really sense the weight of the blades. Especially in the duel between Herger (Dennis Storhoi) and Angus.
Too bad you couldn't see any of it, since they so brilliantly decided to film 90% of the action in the dark using extreme close-ups. What a joke.
Old 10-19-04, 02:02 PM
Wag

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Princess Bride
Old 10-19-04, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by PopcornTreeCt
You guys are all amateurs........

Agree...
Old 10-19-04, 02:18 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Old 10-19-04, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thank goodness only one person mentioned a LoTR film, i was sadly expecting more since fantasy films are really non-applicable in realism of historic battles.

While Kurosawa's films are unmatched in medieval Japanese story and actually one of the central reasons why i pick the 50s as my favorite cinema decade, the sword battles are fairly typical of the time albeit more gritty.
Old 10-19-04, 03:01 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Seven Samurai
Old 10-19-04, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 954 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally posted by Rivero
As much as I love LotR, and I really do. It definately didn't have any realistic sword battles. You lose a lot of reality when it is a classic story of a small group of good guys against hords of bad guys. I'm sorry but Orcs just wouldn't die that easily. Same goes for stormtroopers.

As much as I like Kurosawa I don't think it had the most realistic sword play. But then again it is difficult to tell because honestly none of us really know the days were wars were fought with the blade and not the bullet so it is hard to tell what it really was like at that time.
Old 10-19-04, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The swordplay in Seven Samurai is pretty realistic, especially regards to the jumbled, messy, chaotic nature of sword battle. It is neither stylized nor balletic, but presented realistically.

Jeck goes into this during his audio commentary. Well worth a listen, as its the best commentary track ever recorded. EVER RECORDED. Don't believe me? I'll break you with my bare hands!!!
Old 10-19-04, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by flixtime
:
While acknowledging the fact that I've neither participated in nor witnessed a to-the-death swordfight, I'd still like to nominate the last fight scene in Japan's The Twilight Samurai (2002) as a good representation of what it must really be like.
Agreed. You really got the sense that both were acutely aware of life and death gravity of the situation, and how dangerous it was even to get in range of your opponent.
Old 10-19-04, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Wag
Princess Bride
That was going to be my choice as well.
Old 10-19-04, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Keep in mind this is Sword battles not Sword duels, same as would be war battles and not gun duels.
Old 10-19-04, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by karnblack
Has anyone seen The Duellists?

I saw a few minutes on TV once and it looked pretty realistic.
by a county mile.
Old 10-19-04, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally posted by Wag
Princess Bride
Old 10-20-04, 03:15 AM

Duelists, plus many of the japanese films mentioned. Much of what happens depends on the type of sword, and how evenly matched the combatants are. With samurai as I understand it, it was not unusual for both to draw and strike a deathblow in the same instant. With one much more skilled or talented than the others, cutting a swath of death from single blows isn't unreasonable either. The sort of cut a katana makes is what shock is all about.

OTOH a modern sword like an epee offers much greater defense, so it was very practical for a fight to be to first blood. That first blood was very likely on your sword arm, and put the wounded person at a fairly great disadvantage where it would be ungentlemanly to continue.

My guess is that most real combat is like the latter, a contest until first blood, then the wounded person gives up or is completed disarmed and killed.

Realistic swordplay isn't a car chase, its a car crash. What gives it weight are the consequences, which few movies want to dwell on.
Old 10-20-04, 06:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 503 Likes on 255 Posts
Jason and the Argonauts.:-)
Old 10-20-04, 06:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 507 Likes on 351 Posts
Many of the great combat sequences mentioned here were created by the swordmaster Bill Hobbs. He has been doing it since the sixties and most recently his work was seen in The Count of Monte Cristo.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0387643/
Old 10-20-04, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Again i say this is Sword battles not sword duels.
Old 10-20-04, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Well if you really want to be specific, duff beer is right. The most 'realistic' sword battle wouldn't be a 5 or 10 minute duel between sword masters fighting to a stale mate. It would probably last about 45 seconds with one guy getting a serious slash across the gut.
Old 10-20-04, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well argue semantics all you want; most people are chiming in with their favorite sword duels/battles, not the most realistic. So you might as well pop some kernels and amuse yourself with the general public's inability to follow directions.

Oh, and mine is the Schwartz battle from Spaceballs.
Old 10-20-04, 03:09 PM

I'd go with Seven Samurai, especially the ones towards the beginning. Slash, fall, done.
Old 10-20-04, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Matt i specifically said twice that this is battles and not duels. Before the first gun, the harquebus invented in the late 15th century, armies actually fought with swords.
Old 10-20-04, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by duff beer
Matt i specifically said twice that this is battles and not duels. Before the first gun, the harquebus invented in the late 15th century, armies actually fought with swords.
I know you did.

You know you did.

And I know that you know that you did.

But nobody's paying attention. I mean honestly: Lord of the Rings? Someone mentioned Princess Bride with a sarcastic emoticon and a few people jumped in with 's. So why fight a lost cause? Lie back and enjoy it.

That having been said, I'd also like to volunteer Blade as a continuance of ignorance.
Old 10-20-04, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Mr. Salty
The duel between Liam Neeson and Tim Roth at the end of "Rob Roy" gets my vote. I like how Neeson, who is suffering from a previous injury, gets winded swinging the heavy broadsword around. The fight also looks very natural and unchoreographed, with a very realistic ending.
First one I thought of.

Most fun: Princess Bride.
Old 10-20-04, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

There's a real difference from Gun duels and WWII battles, which is why i was stressing military battles during the ancient and medieval world showing the grit and dirtiness of the battle of many frantic soldiers.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.