Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Do you ever go to the theater alone?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-04, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Personally, I prefer to go to the theater alone. That's not to say that I never go with anyone else though. Me and my cousin go pretty regularly but since he loves film just as I do, he understands the "rules" of not talking, no cell phones, and that type of thing.

What I really hate is going on a date to the movies. I know I'm in the minority here, but if I go out with a total (or almost total) stranger, I'd rather go to somewhere that we can actually talk, and talking at the movies is no go with me. One of these days maybe I'll actually meet someone who loves film as much as I do and will think of going to the theater just as I do.

I mean, women like that must be out there somewhere, right?

So yeah, I'd rather go to the movies by myself, or someone who at least shares the same mindset as myself. I know I'm not alone but I figured I'd toss this one out there just to have a different topic up.

Or maybe I take film too seriously?

Heh.

Nah!
Old 10-15-04, 10:56 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree about the no talking thing, but for me going to the movies is more of a social thing so I like to go with friends and I never go myself, but there were a few times where no one wanted to see something and I did so I just went and caught a matinee or whatever.

My problem with people talking isn't ever the people I go with, but the brats all over the place, thats why I rarely go on weekend nights anymore
Old 10-15-04, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
I thought we had this thread not to long ago.

I perfer to go alone. Movies aren't a talking event. No need to be in a group. Worse of all I want time after a film to collect my thoughts and pull together what I think of it. If I go with someone the generic question after is "What did you think?" to which I answer "Give me time to let it sink in."

Besides that, for theater hopping, it's better to travel light.

So I much rather go alone.
Old 10-16-04, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I will go alone if it's a movie I really want to see and nobody else I know wants to see it. Not too many movies fall in this category, though. I saw Bean, Gattaca, Mystery Men, Toy Story 2, Tarzan, and Iron Giant alone. Good thing about Iron Giant, cuz the ending had me torn up.

Most of the time it's with others, but the friends I go with also understand the no talking rules and all that good stuff.
Old 10-16-04, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts
I go alone the majority of the time.
Old 10-16-04, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 40 Posts
There is a 5 page thread from June about this same subject if you are interested.

Link
Old 10-16-04, 12:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think I probably go alone more often than with people. I just like to see so many different movies and most of my friends aren't into indie films. That and I usually don't have the same opinions of the film as my friends so its kinda weird to talk about movies after we see them.
Old 10-16-04, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I used to go alone all the time. Now, I have more friends and I either go with them or with a date. Usually with a date is ok after you get to know them. Movies aren't good for a first date since you can't talk which is important when first getting to know someone.
Old 10-16-04, 01:04 AM
Suspended

Movies I've seen alone, and been the only one in the theater:

Catwoman
The Cat in the Hat
Superbabies: Baby Geniuses 2
Robocop 3
Old 10-16-04, 01:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 345 Likes on 226 Posts
About half and half. I prefer going alone and I try to sit way off by myself somewhere. I actually get up and move if anyone sits near me because I don't want to hear them talking or eating etc.
Old 10-16-04, 01:25 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Rarely - only when I really wanna see a movie on the big screen and the wife won't have anything to do with it. Even then, I can usually con a buddy into going, but if not, there's no shame in going alone.
Old 10-16-04, 01:50 AM

If I have to, then yes. No wants to go alone.
Old 10-16-04, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts
All the time.

But this only started in the last year because frankly, my taste in movies aren't the same as my usual movie buddy. I mean we both compromise but sometimes it's easier just to catch something on my own. For instance, the last thing I saw alone was Shawn of the Dead and I knew she wasn't interested in seeing it. Btw, when I went in I thought I would be alone in the theater but just before the movie started a few people walked in.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 10-16-04 at 09:30 AM.
Old 10-16-04, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 265 Likes on 168 Posts
How is seeing a movie social if you can't talk during the movie??!!??

The person sitting next to me is ignored* during the movie so they might as well not be there.

*Except dates. Still no talking but hand-holding,etc isn't ignoring them.
Old 10-16-04, 10:15 AM

If it's a scary movie I have to bring a date (or a girlfriend) because I have a somewhat embarrassing habit of burying my head into the neck of whoever is with me during particularly gory/scary scenes.

Exempting that however, there are certain movies I absolutely will not see with anyone —
A STREETCAR NAMED DESIRE
BELOVED
CITIZEN KANE
ON THE WATERFRONT
THE COLOR PURPLE
THE JOY LUCK CLUB
UNFORGIVEN
WEST SIDE STORY

are but some. I almost always want to bring a date/friend with me for anything comedic.

PEACH
Old 10-16-04, 11:11 AM

Re: Do you ever go to the theater alone?

Originally posted by BrentLumkin
I mean, women like that must be out there somewhere, right?
Sure....just look around for the women sitting alone.
Old 10-16-04, 11:36 AM
Premium Member

Received 690 Likes on 462 Posts
I prefer going with friends, it's usually fun to discuss afterwards...
Old 10-16-04, 11:56 AM

I usually go alone when I'm interested in a Foreign or an Independent film. It's kind of lame to go by yourself to watch a mundane commercial offering.
Old 10-16-04, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

all the time
Old 10-16-04, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts
Originally posted by The Cow
I prefer going with friends, it's usually fun to discuss afterwards...

That's what the dvdtalk movie forum is for. Ditch those Brick and mortar friends and start going to the movies alone!
Old 10-16-04, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Sure. I'm not having a party at the theater, so why do I have to have friends sit next to me? If they want to come along, fine, but if not, I'll just go myself. I'll save the conversation over the dinner or poker table.

Now, the only time that I had the ENTIRE THEATER to myself was Cabin Fever. I was the only one watching the matinee. Kind of creepy though, when you think about being the only person sitting in a 300-person capacity theater watching a horror movie like that.
Old 10-16-04, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Hardly ever. My wife is a huge movie buff, and it's always welcome to go see a flick with her. The only time I've ever been completely alone in a theater was for Birthday Girl.
Old 10-16-04, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
If you're single, the older you get, the more likely you are to go see films alone. I find the logistics of going alone much more preferable.
Old 10-17-04, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I agree with Patman. The older I've gotten the more I enjoy seeing a movie alone. If it's an action movie I take my son, if it's something more serious then I usually go by myself.
Old 10-17-04, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by BrewCrew
There is a 5 page thread from June about this same subject if you are interested.
"Sorry, Mom, the mob has spoken!" - Bart Simpson (The Monorail Episode)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.